Clank, Squeeeeeeek... a month after collecting...

Mike_P

Reaction score
Hi guys...

So, I've had the 3.2Q Sport for over a month now, and was just wondering if anyone else has had these problems before I take her back to the dealers to get checked out...

1) As someone aptly put it in another thread - I've got front brakes like a routemaster bus!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif They squeek so much at slow speeds (>10mph) that it's waking the neighbours when I go down the drive... Did the previous owner not bed them in right? Is there anything I can do to stop it?

2) Clanking suspension noises coming from the back of the cabin. I can't believe how noisy this is!! Over small bumps it's terrible - higher speeds it doesn't make a noise at all AND the same noise is present when I set off sometimes or brake to come to a halt. It's as if the rear of the car has caught up with the front, clanking, and then when I set off again it clanks backwards! (Hopefully that makes sense!)

Apart from those two things, I can't fault anything else with her /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif still loving it!

Cheers in advance for any help!
Mike

1) brake hard few times, helps often, did for me after some rust.

2) no idea, someone else had these problems, I don't.. mm

- Yak

Kiitos Yak! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've tried 1) a good few times now (brakes are so much better than I had on the Bora /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) - there's no rusting or any signs of scores on the discs from trapped stones or suchlike.

As for 2) I shall have another search /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

you might have glazed your brakes, caused by giving it loads on new brakes. Problem being is it makes the outer surface very hard....and not very grippy. It'll just take a while to wear the outer surface down, be careful in the meantime.

Ah, had that thought in the back of my head... it's been doing it since day one (3 months old with 1700 miles on by then) yet I was still treating her like cotton wool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif stamping on the brakes was only when it was getting worse with normal day to day use.

Thankfully, I mentioned it to the stealer a week after I got it (thanks to some other issues... grrr!) so when I take it back I'll have that on my side!

Mike_P, if you didn't find information on the suspension, then if I remember right, it was richy who had same sort of problem. Dealer said it was a fault, and there would be a fix. I don't know about the future yet, I'm sure richy will answer to this thread at some point, or someone else with the same problem.

A lovely Finnish word there, you don't have location marked, so "oletko täältä sitten? Stockka ei varmasti osaa auttaa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif"

- Yak

Mike

For 5 months I also have this issue with the rear suspension or something at the back end of the car, clunking around at low speed, its so bad over bumpy uneven ground at low speed, that i have to crank the stereo up to drown it out. If you open your boot an bounce the rear suspension pushing down on the boot back panel, you can re-created the knocking noise, its sounds like a metallic click noise, My dealer cannot sort it out, they have changed the shocks, had the rear suspension apart, in the end they put a quality complaint into audi, this was about a month ago, and i have heard nothing. Audi tell me that the suspension setup is different on a 3.2 from the others, probably to do with the quattro setup. I tested a newer 3.2 with 3000m on it, and this car also had the same problem, although it was not as pronounced as mine. So it seems as more miles go on this noise gets louder. Sounds to me like a common fault on the 3.2 . Which is very poor for a car of this value.

As for the brakes, the only noise is on reversing, if i apply the brake going backwards i get a loud knock, must be the pads moving around in the caliper.

Mike_P

I had a very similar problem on my A3 2.0 litre Tdi.......

After being fobbed off by the dealer for around 12 months, with "we have heard this on a few cars" and "we have submitted a report to Audi", I wrote to the MD at Audi UK. Within a short period of time I received a nice letter and a phone call from his personal assistant asking me to contact my local dealer "Who would deal with it to my satisfaction".

I took it in and the rear shock absorbers were replaced. They are special order ones to solve this problem. It is now a pleasure to drive and I do not have to turn the stereo on at low speeds to drown out the clanking noise!

I have seen various threads on other forums that say that the problem is to do with the mounting brackets! I am reliabley informed by Audi that it is in fact the hydraulic valves inside the shock absorbers that are the cause.

If you are still not satisfied with the service, then I suggest you write to the MD in Milton Keynes(Mr Kevin Rose)it certainly gets them moving.

I would be suprised if this is not the same problem on the 3.2, but I am sure if you write to the MD it will get sorted pronto. Having said that, no one should need to go to this length to solve what is generally known about inside Audi HQ in Milton Keynes.

Peter

Cheers guys, some good info there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

Slimbloke, you hit the nail on the head there, think I know how I'll be describing it to the dealer now!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Yak, my finnish is extremely rusty at the moment, but I'm in Newcastle, UK and thanks for the offer (if I've got that right!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike P, you probably missed out something, but obviously got part of the text. Anyway, since you're not here, doesn't really matter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rusty or not, it's a wonder if you can understand something, it's pretty uncommon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak

Mike

I had this rear suspension noise from day one (1st September), reasonably quiet to start with but as the miles went on the noise got louder, after getting no where with the dealer I used a backdoor route into Audi GmbH Engineering. They advised that the problem was a quality issue with the rear shocks from the supplier (Monroe) and that I needed to have new ones with part number IKO 513029 HE fitted. This was done on the 19th November (After the dealer fitted IKO 513029 ED on the 5th November - note the suffix is the important identifier - that Audi UK said were the fix all items but Audi GmbH said they were not!) the HE suffix parts have fixed the problem and it has not returned after a further 1500 miles.
Things only stated to move at a very fast pace when I told the dealer I was in communication with Audi GmbH and also that if the new parts did not fix the issue then I would reject the car.
I wrote to Audi UK, who have never responded back to me, my assumption being that they have had the feed back from the dealer that all is OK, but it would have been nice to have had some response. Audi GmbH came back to me last week to see if all was OK.
Others with this problem who have had the above new shocks fitted have also reported that the noise has gone away.

I have not had any issues with the brakes.

David

Landatec

Can you tell me what dealer fitted your new shocks? and have you got a 3.2? as i had my shocks replaced but no fix, so obviously they put faulty ones back on. So my dealer does not know about these new ones.

Cheers

A3dude

Yes I have a 3.2 Sport DSG registered 1st September 04.
The part number for the 'correct' shocks is IKO 513029 HE as advised by Audi GmbH Engineering. They were fitted by Ipswich Audi.

The dealers as I understand it DO know about this but it looks as though they are fitting the 'new' 2WD ones to Quattro's as happened to me. They claim that this is what Audi UK specified but as I reported above this is NOT correct. If they fitted the 2WD items then you will still have the issue you report.

Make sure they order and fit the (IKO 513029 HE) items.

David

Thanks to Landatec, i am going to get my dealer to liase with ipswich audi. Like i said my shocks were changed, i have found out that the shocks fitted have the old part number. Audi parts have the new ones on the system, but will not authorise to fit them unless audi instruct them to so, and my dealer have no information regarding this.

Again, some good info there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Cheers lads!

Another I forgot to mention originally, does anyone get a high pitched whine which is more pronounced in the even gears (i.e. 2,4,6) and not as loud in the odd gears?

I think my car is dropping to bits! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm not sure if I'll be of much help now, but I work for Ipswich Audi and was one of the people involved with 'landatecs' shock Absorber issue on his car while it was in.

Essentially, a memo was issued via Internet to all Audi dealers a few months back. Stating that they were aware of a rear suspension knocking noise from the new A3 and some A3 Sportbacks and that a 'fix' was in the pipeline.
Part numbers for the new shocks arrived only a couple of months ago but as with all new parts they are witheld/short supply and unfortunately it was a case of waiting.
The A3's that are affected by the knocking noise are up to Chassis range >>8P-4-162000 (Please note, this is only a rough Chassis range guide, some models past this Chass. number may be fitted with the earlier shocks.)

With landatecs car, the modified shocks were on a 'Stock in Transit' back order, which means they were in the Country at the Dordon parts Warehouse, but they were being unpacked and dispatched to the Bin location. So we were advised by the technical department to fit the ealier style shocks in the hope it would cure the noise (it doesn't seem to affect all models for some reason)
which was done but alas did not cure the fault. So when the modified ones did arrive they were fitted and according to landatec all is well :)

Please note though, DO NOT advise your dealer to fit 'HE' shock absorbers to your car! These are only relevant to landatecs car on the basis of what options are on it (Sports Suspension/Quattro/Sportback etc) and chances are they will be wrong for your your particular vehicle. See your dealer and they should be aware of the problem by now and be able to advise you of what part number shock absorbers need fitting.

Nice one Nelson! Good to have someone in the know on board!

Merry Christmas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Nelson

Interesting, my dealer have no idea what is wrong with my car. Obviously they have not seen the memo you are on about. Ipswich Audi seem to know about this, so i think i will be in contact.

Many Thanks

Hi guys,

Thanks again for you responses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Car is booked in on Monday to take a look at all these various bits and bobs - I was very surprised, just reeled them off, they said "not a problem - would you like a courtesy car?" and that was that!! So much better than VW (We'll have to charge you to investigate it - even though it's under warranty!) and very willing to call Ipswich Audi about the suspension (Cheers Nelson!)

Fingers crossed all goes well on Monday and they continue to impress me...!

Hi Mike

Hope all goes well on Monday, I will be keen to know if the damper problem gets resolved! I`m sure you will post the results

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just got back from Croydon Audi... they say that the 'knocking suspension' problem that has been memo'd and has a predetermined fix available is only for front wheel drive cars, and not for quattro.

Therefore, they have made a technical quality report to Audi, and I wait for their response (1-2 days). A report to another part of Audi products has been made too, but this takes time to respond.

Bit disappointed to be honest, as I though a problem that's exactly the same on 2WD cars would mean I would not be considered an exemption, just because I have a 4WD car.

Slimbloke

Thats excactly what my dealer told me, they had issued a quality control report to audi, that was 2 months ago and still heard nothing, the problem is getting annoying, and i can feel anger starting to build.

Keep us posted of any developments

Cheers

Well, took my baby in today and the new shocks are on order /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

They'll probably be here day after next, but I can't get them fitted until the 20th when they have a courtesy car available.

The whining turned out the be the haldex/transmission noise and I couldn't recreate the squeeking brakes!

All in all, I'm quite pleasantly surprised - I was kept informed at every stage, got full (sound) reasons as to what has happened and it's all being done under warranty... makes a change from the VW dealers who used to um and ahh and try and charge for warranty work!

Just found out that it IS now a recognised problem on the quatrros, and a new shock absorber is actually already in production so that new cars don't suffer... not that most people would even notice, it's all down to how anal you are I guess.

I should find out within a day when the new shocks can be fitted.

ok, ok... NOW it's a new problem... phhh. Nice guy at the dealer, but hey, messing me around a bit.

I'm takng the car in on Monday (and getting a deisel A2 courtesy car... should be... fun) and they're fitting new shocks. if this doesn't solve the problem, then Audi Technical are apparently very interested in seeing my car and may take it away to have a look!

Yeah, pretty much what was said to me. The problem is known on Quattros as well as FWD vehicles, but the S-line models were never supposed to have the problem as the issues were 'known' when that suspension was being developed, which is why theres a bit of head scratching going on.

I'm sure it will be fine, my guess is you probably genuinely have some faulty shocks and the new ones will cure the problem. But we'll see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, don't knock the A2, its a great Car, especially the 1.4 TDi 90bhp Sport! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well, they're replacing the shocks today, and I'll hopefully get the car back this afternoon or first thing in the morning.

Re: A2 TDi
OMG... how much noise do diesel engines make (first time I've driven one)!?! OK car, but keep hitting the rev limiter around 5000 revs without realising it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Me too!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif:D:D So quiet now, it's fantastic!

I had a A3 2.0 TDI for the day as a courtesy car... and then promptly got back into my beast forgetting how good the brakes are and how fast she takes off - it was like having a new car all over again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mike_P said:
Me too!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif:D:D So quiet now, it's fantastic!

I had a A3 2.0 TDI for the day as a courtesy car... and then promptly got back into my beast forgetting how good the brakes are and how fast she takes off - it was like having a new car all over again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean... I'm sure it feels quicker than I remember it was! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My Chassis number is more precisely 8PX5A007765, can you Nelson please try to elucidate me what does this mean comparing to yours "8P-4-162000"? Could it mean something like 8P-5-007765? And if that makes sense does the "5" refers to something like 2005 version?! :p Maybe good imagination.......

Note: I have strange noises coming from the back....and louds...