JMB RetrofitsBadger5
    Neutral

Status

My Spec Stage 3+ Clutch for S3

Hi all,

As I have done too many track days, hard driving and several nice take offs with the S3, my Sachs Clutch as well as the OEM Flywheel are slipping even in 3rd gear with less than 10k milles. So I decided to try with a SMF clutch and I went for Spec. The reviews for this product are 50/50 and I hope to keep out of any problems taking it easy during the first 600 milles of break in period.

I chose the steel flywheel (15 lbs) instead of the aluminim one, which is lighter. I hope it works ok. This saturday I will be fitting it, after the break in I'll write some lines about it.

Some pics

The clutch disc (the pic isn't mine)

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    What torque can this handle? how much you get it for?
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

6th Gear

Status
    also whats your car putting out?
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

To Do list: Now that would be telling

PM me for Weitec & KW coilovers

Gievf Buckets

Status
    if hes stage 3 isnt that about 450

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

6th Gear

Status
    thats if hes stage 3, he could be stage 2 or 2+ and just eating clutch due to track days/ heavy launches, which is why im curious
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

Neutral

Status
    The car is currently going with Revo stage 2+, Blueflame decated exhaust, Evoms CAI and Autotehc HPFP. The clutch according Spec specifications can handle 578 lb/ft, which it should be far enough for my car.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortel View Post
    The car is currently going with Revo stage 2+, Blueflame decated exhaust, Evoms CAI and Autotehc HPFP. The clutch according Spec specifications can handle 578 lb/ft, which it should be far enough for my car.
    wow youve eaten the clutch quick then considering the power your putting through it! Alex on here has his on stage 2+ for 20k miles i think and hes now on stage 3 and its still feeling strong

Neutral

Status
    I don't know man...I made more less 4 or 5 launches at 6500 rpms and 3 trackdays. I think that the clutch disc is not wasted yet but I guess that, as it is made of organic composit fiber it has lost its properties due to extreme heating. I am also surprised.

BTW: Apologies for my english, I am writting u guys from Spain.

6th Gear

Status
    wow im really surprised its given up that early!!
    hopefully you will be having a bit more luck this this new unit compared to the Sachs one!!
    your english is fine mate, lets not compare it to my spanish as well its pathetic!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
    hopefully you will be having a bit more luck this this new unit compared to the Sachs one!!
    your english is fine mate, lets not compare it to my spanish as well its pathetic!
    really surprised its given up that early!

5th Gear

Status
    2+ and dead.

Man - u must be abusing that clutch!!

Will be interested to see what you think of the new one. Please keep us posted.

Su Ingles es mejor que mi espanol!!
    "Dont get me wrong. Ugly girls need loving. Just not by me."

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortel View Post
    I don't know man...I made more less 4 or 5 launches at 6500 rpms and 3 trackdays. I think that the clutch disc is not wasted yet but I guess that, as it is made of organic composit fiber it has lost its properties due to extreme heating. I am also surprised.

BTW: Apologies for my english, I am writting u guys from Spain.
    Even with a Sachs Organic clutch set up 6500 RPM launches are going to very accelerated wear!
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

6th Gear

Status
    yea i just realised thats just off the red line! the amount of abuse that must put through the clutch must be staggering!!
    would have thought a 4k rpm launch should be more then enough to ger the car off as quick as it will go and would put a load less pressure through it?

Neutral

Status

On a quattro car you can pretty much add another 50% to the amount of tq being made by the engine during a launch. So lets say it is a car that makes 338 ft/lbs, the clutch will need to hold over 500 ft lbs if you plan on launching the car. Just what I have learned over the 10 years of drag racing my A4 which makes over 650whp at this time and at that power I broke a custom dual diaphram 6 puck clutch kit which held perfectly fine while making under 600whp while launching. Video Slipping clutch - Car Videos on StreetFire

Rarely neutral

Status
    wow youve eaten the clutch quick then considering the power your putting through it! Alex on here has his on stage 2+ for 20k miles i think and hes now on stage 3 and its still feeling strong
    The reason is probably that I don't do drag starts or trackdays.