F8 fuse keeps blowing!!!

Batt284

Reaction score
Hi All,

Having a bit of a mare with this one. Replaced the IMF after getting the following faults and all seemed to be ok for a few days:

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03G-906-016-BKD.lbl
4 Faults Found
17055 - Cylinder 1 Glow Plug Circuit (Q10): Electrical Fault
P0671 - 000 - -
16725 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Implausible Signal
P0341 - 000 - - - Intermittent
17075 - Fan 1 Control Circuit: Short to GND
P0691 - 000 - -
19558 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157): No Signal
P3102 - 000 - -

Address 09: Cent. Elect. Labels: 8P0-907-279-23-H.lbl
6 Faults Found
00924 - Relay for Headlamp Cleaning System (J39)
009 - Open or Short to Ground
01330 - Central Control Module for Central Convenience (J393)
004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
01320 - Control Module for Climatronic (J255)
00483 - Control Module for Auxiliary Air Heater
01341 - Control Module in Instrument Panel On Comfort CAN (J285)
00466 - Control Module for Steering Column Electronics (J527)

I noticed the F8 fuse had blown again (replaced when I changed the IMF) so I replaced it again and this time it blew after about 5 mins of driving. Car felt much better during those 5 mins though - steering, accelleration, fuel consumption, smoothness all affected by this fuse.

Back on Vag-com and only the following faults have returned since I cleared them all when changing the IMF:

17055 - Cylinder 1 Glow Plug Circuit (Q10): Electrical Fault
P0671 - 000 - -
00924 - Relay for Headlamp Cleaning System (J39)
009 - Open or Short to Ground

Can anyone hazzard a guess at what is cauing this fuse to blow?

I'm gussing the headlight washers relay is shorting to ground & blowing the fuse, did you happen to use your washers with your headlights on when it blew - ie using headlight washers? You would need to look at the wiring I guess. You could also remove the relay & see if it stops it blowing. Not sure if the Glow plugs are on the same circuit of if thats a seperate fault

Ross-Tech suggests the glow plug fault is either the plug itself or the wiring. Sounds like a completely separate fault from the fuse.

As stated above for the washers problem remove the relay and see if the problem returns.

I definitely did not use the washers when the fuse blew. Have replaced it a couple of times now just in case.

The headlight washers apparently use fuse 23. The F8 is linked to Actuators/sensors (engine compartment), radiator fan, main relay for ignition coil.

As you say the glowplug problem would seem to be a seperate issue, in which case I am confused why this fuse keeps blowing and no associated faults are getting logged!

Actuators ? I haven't got headlight washers but don't they pop up out of the bumper ?

There might be an 'actuator' that performs that action ? If it's ******** (technical term!!) could it be that that's causing the fuse to blow ?

In all this freezing weather we've had moving bits i.e.wipers etc when frozen will stall a motor quite easily and that's what fuses are for - to protect motors and wiring in the event of a current surge.

Just a thought but maybe worth checking?

Yeah they pop out of the bumper a fair way actually. You are right it is definitely worth checking out before resigning myself to a trip to the stealer!

Car is all sorted now and back to normal :yes:

The headlight washer problem turned out to be just a blown fuse (#23 at the side of dash) so the washers are working again and fault code erased.

After studying the circuit diagram and confirming I haven't touched anything else on F8 circuit, I ended up replacing the IMF again (europarts were very good about the exchange). Sure enough this solved the problem and immediately upped my mpg by about 10mpg! It seems the first one was doggy, but just pleased to have the car back to normal again.