Can I retro fit climate control

tigermain

Reaction score
I've seen a few threads about this but they only talk about the 2009 models onwards.

Im looking at picking up the basic spec 2.0 tdi 2004ish and wondered if its possible.

Does this model come with basic air con at least? Im not convinved by parkerss spec

Only the very basic models didnt come with climate control. TBH i didnt know it didnt come without until I saw a post about it. I would avoid one without climate control as its a major amount of work to do & wouldn't be cheap. Also when looking for early TDi's, watch for a worn dual mass flywheel - engine will feel juddery at idle & do a seach on the forum, the early cylinder heads of TDi's are known to crack! Avoid buying somebody elses expensive problem.

as khufu says your chances of comming across one is very slim, and even less in the facelift, im surprised that they even bother to make a manual version imo

the prefacelift did have an "AC" option, but very basic models DIDN'T EVEN COME WITH THAT!!

tbh i think you should just spend a few hundred more for a Sport model, and it'll come with climate as standard.

you can retrofit whatever you want to a car given enough money and time, but for the money you'll be saving getting a car without it you'll be spending multiple times over finding the parts and retrofitting it. definitely not worth it. just buy a car that has it already

Last edited:
i wouldn't bother on the 8P1 personally... they look the same, and if you're buying to mod the car then the first mod i'd do is an 8P2 S-Line bodykit and you don't really stand to gain anything by already having an 8P1 S-Line because the body kit was the same as the Sport.