Badger5Sky Insurance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1st Gear

Status

s3 clutch slipping with map

hey guys,

I went to shark and had a map done but had it taken straight off again due to the clutch slipping.Im wanting to know what clutch to fit in order for it to handle the power gains easily and reliably for years to come.its a stage 1 map giving 320hp and 444nm of torque.

cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Glad you got on ok with Ben! Sachs clutch you need lad!

S3 (8P)

Status
    Is the car under warranty?
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

4th Gear

Status
    Why didnt you just ask to tune it down a bit. Its easy making high numbers but difficult to get it to run right without parts messing up

A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

Boycie

Status
    Sachs uprated clutch and a standard LUK flywheel is what you need - around 750 for the parts plus labour (6-7hour job)

Rarely neutral

Status
    As soon as a car gets much over 300-320lbs of torque,the OEM clutch is on borrowed time.
    I've got a Sachs on mine,which has worked well with Stg2+ for over 20 000 miles,and seems to be coping with 410lbs of torque currently on Stg3.

5th Gear

Status
    As mentioned you could go with an uprated Sachs clutch and OEM DMF which will give you much higher clamping force and will be able to handle up to stage 2+ power. However if you want to go above that tune and/or if you do many visits to the drag strip or loads of hard launches a single mass flywheel set up would be best. I'd go for a southend clutch in that case.
    Only prob with SMFs are increased NVH and more stress on the crankshaft at high revs.
    I've got the sachs & DMF set up and now its finally been installed properly its rock solid with no slip. Pedal weight is higher, but after its run in gets a tiny bit lighter and its easy to drive in traffic. Pretty sure my mum or sister could handle it!
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

S3 (8P)

Status
    There is evidence to suggest that later OEM clutches, ie on newer facelifts and those units replaced under warranty, are stronger and less prone to to slipping at Stage 1.

Mine is at Stage 1 and had a OEM replacement under warranty a few weeks ago, so far so good.

However if you are paying for the clutch out of your own pocket then an uprated unit such as SACHs etc is the answer like the guys said.

Good luck
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    As soon as a car gets much over 300-320lbs of torque,the OEM clutch is on borrowed time.
    I've got a Sachs on mine,which has worked well with Stg2+ for over 20 000 miles,and seems to be coping with 410lbs of torque currently on Stg3.
    hey Alex
    with your clutch you running a SMF or a DMF? did you get yours done down at AMD if so i may have a word with them and get their advice when we are down there on sunday
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

To Do list: Now that would be telling

PM me for Weitec & KW coilovers

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
    hey Alex
    with your clutch you running a SMF or a DMF? did you get yours done down at AMD if so i may have a word with them and get their advice when we are down there on sunday
    Sachs plus LUK DMF.
    I didn't want the added problems of a SMF setup unless I absolutely have to,although if I run more power and torque later,it may well be a neccessary step.

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers guys,
    The car is still under warranty but i thought i might aswell uprated the clutch just to give me piece of mind and reliability with the map.Is this the clutch i need?

Clutch Kit: ZF SACHS Performance clutch - Power Clutch - Art# 999787 999502 - TTNET - Sachs Performance Parts

6th Gear

Status
    well if its coped well with stg 2 for 20k and ure new GT3071 hasnt destroyed it yet it must be a pretty stable set up. doubt ill go beyond stg 1, at least not for a couple of years
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

Lost in music...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sturs4 View Post
    Is this the clutch i need?
    That's the one fella. Buying one myself at the moment as it happens...

6th Gear

Status
    if people are on the hunt for clutches, how many people do you think we would need for a group buy? try and get a bit of a discount going?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    That's the one fella. Buying one myself at the moment as it happens...
    Wicked.will that be all i need?

Id be up for a group buy

6th Gear

Status
    i would have thought so, think your DMF may have survived because you removed the map straight away... ill be changing mine as im getting a bit of slippage on full throttle, so id rather be safe then sorry and get it all changed
    i know there was a group buy about 4-5 months ago so ill dig up that thread and find out their contact and see what i can do

Lost in music...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sturs4 View Post
    Wicked.will that be all i need?

Id be up for a group buy
    Ahh - you need someone who knows what the f**k they're talking about mate!

For what it's worth I'm also buying a new concentric slave cylinder & an LUK DMF whilst it's all out on the floor. Just the new clutch bearing to source now. Cheapest by far was buypartsby.co.uk

Thought about a group buy myself, but I needed it sharpish, so mine's on order & paid up now. Just keep hoping the pound strengthens more & buy from Sachs whilst they've got the free delivery on this month...
    123d MSport coupe from the company

2007 S3 in sprint blue - gone!

1st Gear

Status
    i would have thought so, think your DMF may have survived because you removed the map straight away... ill be changing mine as im getting a bit of slippage on full throttle, so id rather be safe then sorry and get it all changed
    i know there was a group buy about 4-5 months ago so ill dig up that thread and find out their contact and see what i can do
    And a DMF.Cool see if you can find the details,im in if the price isnt stupid.

6th Gear

Status
    ill do some hunting over the next couple of days and then get a thread up on both here and VAGOC see if we can some discounts going

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    Ahh - you need someone who knows what the f**k they're talking about mate!

For what it's worth I'm also buying a new concentric slave cylinder & an LUK DMF whilst it's all out on the floor. Just the new clutch bearing to source now.
    I think it is you who "needs someone who knows what the f**k they're talking about" as the slave cylinder contains the thrust bearing which your on about
    Brilliant Black A3 2.0T S-line Quattro Special Edition. S3 front brakes, Turbo back Milltek including race cat, APR Intercooler, Evoms air intake, AMD Stage 2 map, Upgraded OEM DV, Sachs Race Clutch, SMF conversion, Forge short shifters, S3 wing mirrors, S3 Rear end, Interior LED conversion, Bi-Xenon's, LED DRL's, BBS CH's, MY 09 Rear lights, Full leather, Tinted rear windows, Custom black front grills.

2nd Gear

Status
    Any chance of posting best prices found for sachs clutch and the DMF ? Could save a few searches and possibly get us some discounts? the cheapest i have found the DMF is buypartsby

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gynads View Post
    Any chance of posting best prices found for sachs clutch and the DMF ? Could save a few searches and possibly get us some discounts? the cheapest i have found the DMF is buypartsby
    how much was that?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gynads View Post
    james warning 192 has a new clutch for sale pm him foe details

REVO stage 2+ , dbilias cai , apr pump, milltek tbe special h&r springs , h&r arb's

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jsws3 View Post
    alright John

is it a saches one?

2nd Gear

Status
    how much was that?
    253 all in delivered

6th Gear

Status
    not bad, will have to see if they will do a group discount as well!

5th Gear

Status
    I got a LUK from buypartsbuy 228 delivered maybe different to the S3s althoughthe clutches are the same.
    Waring's clutch is a sachs and its the one you want
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

6th Gear

Status
    humm odd in the price diff.... will have to give them a call and see if i can haggle
    ive just fired him over an email, see what happens lol

1st Gear

Status
    Right,so just to clarify,i need,

Sachs uprated clutch which is this

Clutch Kit: ZF SACHS Performance clutch - Power Clutch - Art# 999787 999502 - TTNET - Sachs Performance Parts

And a new OEM DMF.

5th Gear

Status
    Sturs - you were doing well to get 320 horses out of stage 1 - i would have been well pleased with that!! Good work.
    "Dont get me wrong. Ugly girls need loving. Just not by me."

Lost in music...

Status
    He's sold it now...

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by JamesS4cab View Post
    Sturs - you were doing well to get 320 horses out of stage 1 - i would have been well pleased with that!! Good work.
    Thats why I keep banging on about Shark, but nobody seems to listen! I went out in a stage 1 S3 and it was RAPID!

2nd Gear

Status
    alright John

is it a saches one?
    yes bud it is drop him a pm if no reply drop me a tex and ill ring him ok mate

REVO stage 2+ , dbilias cai , apr pump, milltek tbe special h&r springs , h&r arb's

Lost in music...

Status
    yes bud it is drop him a pm if no reply drop me a tex and ill ring him ok mate
    It's definitely sold mate! PM sent...

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Thats why I keep banging on about Shark, but nobody seems to listen! I went out in a stage 1 S3 and it was RAPID!
    Next you will be banging on about purple wheels being the new cool...........

Neutral

Status
    If anyone wants is interested in a Clutch Masters clutch/flywheel kit I can offer very good discounts. Could even look at doing a custom FX850 Super Single for you guys, it is a setup I had CM make for the A4 1.8t and I run one in my own A4 1.8t that makes 650whp.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Next you will be banging on about purple wheels being the new cool...........
    No I'll bang on about B6 V8 S4s being underpowered but you won't listen

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    No I'll bang on about B6 V8 S4s being underpowered but you won't listen
    Well its lucky I have an S3 8p running Revo stage 2 then!!

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Well its lucky I have an S3 8p running Revo stage 2 then!!
    You got the car right

1st Gear

Status
    323bhp,444nm torque

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast