s3 clutch slipping with map

sturs4

Reaction score
hey guys,

I went to shark and had a map done but had it taken straight off again due to the clutch slipping.Im wanting to know what clutch to fit in order for it to handle the power gains easily and reliably for years to come.its a stage 1 map giving 320hp and 444nm of torque.

cheers

Why didnt you just ask to tune it down a bit. Its easy making high numbers but difficult to get it to run right without parts messing up

As soon as a car gets much over 300-320lbs of torque,the OEM clutch is on borrowed time.
I've got a Sachs on mine,which has worked well with Stg2+ for over 20 000 miles,and seems to be coping with 410lbs of torque currently on Stg3.

As mentioned you could go with an uprated Sachs clutch and OEM DMF which will give you much higher clamping force and will be able to handle up to stage 2+ power. However if you want to go above that tune and/or if you do many visits to the drag strip or loads of hard launches a single mass flywheel set up would be best. I'd go for a southend clutch in that case.
Only prob with SMFs are increased NVH and more stress on the crankshaft at high revs.
I've got the sachs & DMF set up and now its finally been installed properly its rock solid with no slip. Pedal weight is higher, but after its run in gets a tiny bit lighter and its easy to drive in traffic. Pretty sure my mum or sister could handle it!

There is evidence to suggest that later OEM clutches, ie on newer facelifts and those units replaced under warranty, are stronger and less prone to to slipping at Stage 1.

Mine is at Stage 1 and had a OEM replacement under warranty a few weeks ago, so far so good.

However if you are paying for the clutch out of your own pocket then an uprated unit such as SACHs etc is the answer like the guys said.

Good luck
Paul

As soon as a car gets much over 300-320lbs of torque,the OEM clutch is on borrowed time.
I've got a Sachs on mine,which has worked well with Stg2+ for over 20 000 miles,and seems to be coping with 410lbs of torque currently on Stg3.

hey Alex
with your clutch you running a SMF or a DMF? did you get yours done down at AMD if so i may have a word with them and get their advice when we are down there on sunday

hey Alex
with your clutch you running a SMF or a DMF? did you get yours done down at AMD if so i may have a word with them and get their advice when we are down there on sunday

Sachs plus LUK DMF.
I didn't want the added problems of a SMF setup unless I absolutely have to,although if I run more power and torque later,it may well be a neccessary step.

well if its coped well with stg 2 for 20k and ure new GT3071 hasnt destroyed it yet it must be a pretty stable set up. doubt ill go beyond stg 1, at least not for a couple of years

if people are on the hunt for clutches, how many people do you think we would need for a group buy? try and get a bit of a discount going?

i would have thought so, think your DMF may have survived because you removed the map straight away... ill be changing mine as im getting a bit of slippage on full throttle, so id rather be safe then sorry and get it all changed
i know there was a group buy about 4-5 months ago so ill dig up that thread and find out their contact and see what i can do

Wicked.will that be all i need?

Id be up for a group buy

Ahh - you need someone who knows what the f**k they're talking about mate!

For what it's worth I'm also buying a new concentric slave cylinder & an LUK DMF whilst it's all out on the floor. Just the new clutch bearing to source now. Cheapest by far was buypartsby.co.uk

Thought about a group buy myself, but I needed it sharpish, so mine's on order & paid up now. Just keep hoping the pound strengthens more & buy from Sachs whilst they've got the free delivery on this month...

i would have thought so, think your DMF may have survived because you removed the map straight away... ill be changing mine as im getting a bit of slippage on full throttle, so id rather be safe then sorry and get it all changed
i know there was a group buy about 4-5 months ago so ill dig up that thread and find out their contact and see what i can do

And a DMF.Cool see if you can find the details,im in if the price isnt stupid.

ill do some hunting over the next couple of days and then get a thread up on both here and VAGOC see if we can some discounts going

Ahh - you need someone who knows what the f**k they're talking about mate!

For what it's worth I'm also buying a new concentric slave cylinder & an LUK DMF whilst it's all out on the floor. Just the new clutch bearing to source now.

:sign_unfair: I think it is you who "needs someone who knows what the f**k they're talking about" as the slave cylinder contains the thrust bearing which your on about :ninja::sos:

Any chance of posting best prices found for sachs clutch and the DMF ? Could save a few searches and possibly get us some discounts? the cheapest i have found the DMF is buypartsby

Any chance of posting best prices found for sachs clutch and the DMF ? Could save a few searches and possibly get us some discounts? the cheapest i have found the DMF is buypartsby

how much was that?

james warning 192 has a new clutch for sale pm him foe details

not bad, will have to see if they will do a group discount as well!

I got a LUK from buypartsbuy 228 delivered maybe different to the S3s althoughthe clutches are the same.
Waring's clutch is a sachs and its the one you want

humm odd in the price diff.... will have to give them a call and see if i can haggle
ive just fired him over an email, see what happens lol

Right,so just to clarify,i need,

Sachs uprated clutch which is this

Clutch Kit: ZF SACHS Performance clutch - Power Clutch - Art# 999787 999502 - TTNET - Sachs Performance Parts

And a new OEM DMF.

Sturs - you were doing well to get 320 horses out of stage 1 - i would have been well pleased with that!! Good work.

Thats why I keep banging on about Shark, but nobody seems to listen! I went out in a stage 1 S3 and it was RAPID!

Next you will be banging on about purple wheels being the new cool...........:p

If anyone wants is interested in a Clutch Masters clutch/flywheel kit I can offer very good discounts. Could even look at doing a custom FX850 Super Single for you guys, it is a setup I had CM make for the A4 1.8t and I run one in my own A4 1.8t that makes 650whp.