Volks AutosEM Tuning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED DRL Pics :)

1st Gear

Status

LED DRL Pics :)

Just received my LED DRL's and have installed the resistors so I dont get the annoying bulb failure light on the dash. Have to say it was damn freezing fitting them in sub zero temperatures.

So I thought I would share a couple of pics ive just taken (sorry dont know how to re-size), all comments very welcome

Up close:

Just DRL's:

From a slight angle, just DRL's again:

Brilliant Black A3 2.0T S-line Quattro Special Edition. S3 front brakes, Turbo back Milltek including race cat, APR Intercooler, Evoms air intake, AMD Stage 2 map, Upgraded OEM DV, Sachs Race Clutch, SMF conversion, Forge short shifters, S3 wing mirrors, S3 Rear end, Interior LED conversion, Bi-Xenon's, LED DRL's, BBS CH's, MY 09 Rear lights, Full leather, Tinted rear windows, Custom black front grills.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    These led sidelights ? Not drls?

6th Gear

Status
    Looking good!
    What ones are they and where did you get them from?
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

To Do list: Now that would be telling

PM me for Weitec & KW coilovers

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warrenlord View Post
    These led sidelights ? Not drls?
    No, DRL's the sidelights are much dimmer

I got them from ebay:

16 led WHITE reversing bulb 1156 ba15s CANBUS x 1 on eBay (end time 03-Jan-11 18:48:05 GMT)

You will also need to wire in a resistor even though they are apparently canbus friendly lol.

They are pretty bright tbh
    Brilliant Black A3 2.0T S-line Quattro Special Edition. S3 front brakes, Turbo back Milltek including race cat, APR Intercooler, Evoms air intake, AMD Stage 2 map, Upgraded OEM DV, Sachs Race Clutch, SMF conversion, Forge short shifters, S3 wing mirrors, S3 Rear end, Interior LED conversion, Bi-Xenon's, LED DRL's, BBS CH's, MY 09 Rear lights, Full leather, Tinted rear windows, Custom black front grills.

6th Gear

Status
    Ah cool
    How easy is it to solder the resistor on?
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
    Ah cool
    How easy is it to solder the resistor on?
    I'm confused, where do these fit then? The link is for some reverse bulbs? I assume pre facelift Xenons had DRL's then?
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

1st Gear

Status
    If you buy these from Halfrauds:

Halfords | Prism Amber LED Bulbs 343

And just use the resistors from them, they are literally a plug and play resistor and will take you about 5 mins with no soldering needed

6th Gear

Status
    Haha butchering other bits and plug and play sounds good to me!!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_R View Post
    I'm confused, where do these fit then? The link is for some reverse bulbs? I assume pre facelift Xenons had DRL's then?
    Yeah, the pre-facelift Bi Xenons are the same as the S3's so have got a DRL bulb where most have a main beam bulb . They are listed as a reverse light bulb as the DRL bulbs are the same as most reverse bulbs

Youve got to love a bit of bodgery , works really well and was really simple

Neutral

Status
    looks **** hot mate, glad i could be of service

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissy1502002 View Post

Youve got to love a bit of bodgery , works really well and was really simple
    simple but effective i like it matey i bet they look awesome in the day i want bi-xenons
    ​She is back on the road yay!!

1st Gear

Status
    I'm guessing these just replace the side light bulb?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fnmrst View Post
    simple but effective i like it matey i bet they look awesome in the day i want bi-xenons
    Cheers, yeah they really look amazing in the day, I just really want to change the settings via vagcom (hint to anyone local) so that the rear lights are on with the DRL's.

Quote Originally Posted by basssound View Post
    I'm guessing these just replace the side light bulb?
    They replace the Daytime Running Light bulbs, the side light bulbs are different. As far as I know only A3's with Bi-Xenons have these exept for the 8P3.

events moderator

Status
    ive seen them on other audi's too saw them on a a8 and a a5 too i prefer them to the fairy lights you get on the new a3

1st Gear

Status
    ive seen them on other audi's too saw them on a a8 and a a5 too i prefer them to the fairy lights you get on the new a3
    Funny you say that, the A/S8 is where I got the idea from haha. I have to say im not a fan of the "fairy" lights either, looks a bit cheep im my opinion

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers for the reply, mines an 07 A3 S Line facelift, guess these don't fit?

Gievf Buckets

Status
    can you post a pic of your lights and ill tell ya if they will or wont

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

1st Gear

Status
    Right just rr-read my post about the facelift LED lights, and just realised it sounded quite harsh lol, so if anyone else thought this please dont take it the wrong way

Anyways im guna pop out in a few mins and get a few pics in the day

1st Gear

Status
    Some day pics:

Gievf Buckets

Status
    youre perfectly entitled to your opinion onn em, personally i like em but i like the lines of the front end more than i like the lights

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

6th Gear

Status
    Bloody hell they are seriously bright even during the day!
    Mmmm may have to get some now doh!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
    Bloody hell they are seriously bright even during the day!
    Mmmm may have to get some now doh!
    Haha, ive been trying to get this sorted for ages, just couldnt find the right bulbs. TBH for the money involved its a great little mod

1st Gear

Status
    I've had a look at mine and no they aren't the bixenon, they're just normal bulbs
    My bumper is exactly the same as yours so I'm guessing I'll just have to buy the bixenon headlamps...

events moderator

Status
    Some day pics:

looks very nice mate top job

1st Gear

Status
    wait I'm confused..

It looks to me that you're showing sidelights.

like so... ( i know my aren't bi or single xenons.. but that's where my confusion is! I don't know any different to reflector units or the new style DRLs)

can you take a pic of your light unit without any lights on?
    8P Audi A3 2.0TDI Quattro Sport - what a change from my 1.0L CorsaC!!!

follow me on Twitter - Jonay1990 for #Photography #Aviation #Mil #Automotive #Subsea

Neutral

Status
    Chrissy have you gpt LED sidelight bulbs also?I have just fitted some today and they look great,i just need to get the DRL's now to finish the front,ive also done them in number plate lights aswell!!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain 750 View Post
    Chrissy have you gpt LED sidelight bulbs also?I have just fitted some today and they look great,i just need to get the DRL's now to finish the front,ive also done them in number plate lights aswell!!
    Yeah ive also got LED sidelights, im abit of an LED whore haha. My old Ibiza Cupra didnt have a normal bulb on it

I want to do the number plate lights next, just unsure which bulbs to get as i dont really want to have to fiddle around with more resistors

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonay View Post
    wait I'm confused..

It looks to me that you're showing sidelights.

like so... ( i know my aren't bi or single xenons.. but that's where my confusion is! I don't know any different to reflector units or the new style DRLs)

can you take a pic of your light unit without any lights on?
    The X shape thing is the DRL and you can just about make out the side light in the top left

The big differance is that the buld on the far left (Xenon) does main and dipped beam, so Audi have replaced what is the high beam bulb on yours with a DRL

Neutral

Status
    Heres a pic of my car with number plate leds, and a link to the ones i bought on ebay,just put them in and no error messages and they have been in a week.

Audi LED Number Plate Bulb Canbus No Error Warning on eBay (end time 05-Jan-11 12:11:49 GMT)
    Last edited by Iain 750; 9th December 2010 at 20:03.

6th Gear

Status
    ive got LEDs for my number plates, but cant remember for the life of me where i got them, was about 8 months ago may have been hid4u or something like that and they have the resistors already as part of the unit and they work perfectly!! would go and take a photo but my car is disgustingly dirty so am too ashamed to post photos of it.... will do it on saturday when its clean haha!!

4th Gear

Status
    Heres a pic of my car with number plate leds, and a link to the ones i bought on ebay,just put them in and no error messages and they have been in a week.

Audi LED Number Plate Bulb Canbus No Error Warning on eBay (end time 05-Jan-11 12:11:49 GMT)
    What years you car??? Ive tried loads on my MY10 and everyone ive tried sends up a warning light.
    Current:
    A3 Black Edition 2.0 TDI 140

6th Gear

Status
    IIRC, the MY10 CE module is more fussy about bulbs
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by slade777 View Post
    What years you car??? Ive tried loads on my MY10 and everyone ive tried sends up a warning light.
    Its a 55 plate.I take it you have tried the canbus ones??

6th Gear

Status
    mines on a 56 plate... there have been loads of reports of people with MY10 cars having trouble with LEDs

4th Gear

Status
    Its a 55 plate.I take it you have tried the canbus ones??
    Ye tried about 5 different pairs now. Given up. Did have some nice ones but the bulb warning did my head in. Apparently u can change the resistors which will then work but means messing around soldering. Id rather plug and play.
    Current:
    A3 Black Edition 2.0 TDI 140

Neutral

Status
    Sorry cant help you then i just put mine in and that was that!!

events moderator

Status

got mine today fitted them and they work spot on very impressed with them and for 6 you cant go wrong

events moderator

Status
    The X shape thing is the DRL and you can just about make out the side light in the top left

The big differance is that the buld on the far left (Xenon) does main and dipped beam, so Audi have replaced what is the high beam bulb on yours with a DRL

what led side light bulbs are they dude im after a set for mine , ebay internet where did you get them from and how much were they ??
    cheers fran

1st Gear

Status

Thanks for clearing that up...

Though that brings me onto the next question.. Why the need for sidelights aswell as DRLs on the front if the DRLs are as bright as they are and in the same place?
    8P Audi A3 2.0TDI Quattro Sport - what a change from my 1.0L CorsaC!!!

follow me on Twitter - Jonay1990 for #Photography #Aviation #Mil #Automotive #Subsea

Neutral

Status
    what led side light bulbs are they dude im after a set for mine , ebay internet where did you get them from and how much were they ??
    cheers fran
    These are the ones i used fran.Been in a week and no problems!
    CANBUS LED SIDELIGHT BULBS 501 AUDI A2 A3 A4 A6 A8 80 on eBay (end time 01-Jan-11 16:19:50 GMT)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast