JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
    6th Gear

Status

Ipod Adapter for Symphony II Headunit

Chaps

Does anyone know where i can get an Ipod adapter for my Symphony II (its the 6 disc changer one) headunit? There are loads on ebay but unsure which one will actually fit and work.

A link would be great!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Lacks Car Funds...

Status
    I've got the dension gateway set me back about 100 but works well.
    2005 A3 S-Line 2.0 TDI 140 DSG

Factory: Full Black Leather - BOSE- Lights Pack - Winter Pack - Arm Rest
    Mods: iTray - Black Optics Grill - UK Pressed Plates - Bluefin - Cruise Control - Lamin-X - Rear Aero Wiper - S-Line Spoiler - Black Diamond Brake Pads - Wheels Refurbed, Gunmetal Grey - Eibach Sportline Springs
    To Do: Wheel Spacers
    Dreaming Of: RNS-E - Bluetooth - FBMFSW - S3 Rear End - MY11 Rear Lights - Big Brake Kit

2nd Gear

Status
    I also have a dension gateway, its really good and displays song on the DIS.

6th Gear

Status
    I also got the Dension Gateway which displays track on the DIS. I would reccomend it as i've been using it for nearly a year now and works perfectly.

Neutral

Status
    Can you still play CD's if you instal the Dension or do you just lose the changer?
    2.0 TDI SE 140

Lacks Car Funds...

Status
    You can still use the cd changer. Mine doesn't show track names, just gives me iPod ui:iPod ui on the dis or aux gw when using aux in on it.

Mods: iTray - Black Optics Grill - UK Pressed Plates - Bluefin - Cruise Control - Lamin-X - Rear Aero Wiper - S-Line Spoiler - Black Diamond Brake Pads - Wheels Refurbed, Gunmetal Grey - Eibach Sportline Springs
    Dreaming Of: RNS-E - Bluetooth - FBMFSW - S3 Rear End - MY11 Rear Lights - Big Brake Kit

1st Gear

Status
    8P Audi A3 2.0TDI Quattro Sport - what a change from my 1.0L CorsaC!!!

follow me on Twitter - Jonay1990 for #Photography #Aviation #Mil #Automotive #Subsea

2nd Gear

Status
    cicrleswim there is a trick you can do to display track names etc on the display:-
    put the unit into iPod GW mode using CD 6 and track 3 and holding down FF for 3 seconds

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by circleswim View Post
    I've got the dension gateway set me back about 100 but works well.
    Can you tell me how this works on a practical level.

The ipod is in the glove box, for example, and its permanently connected to the 6 cd changer via the Denison Gateway.

1. You turn on the ignition, does the music start straight away, or do you have to get the ipod out and turn it on, select album, etc.
    2. Can you control the volume using the standard volume knob on the symphony. Normally if you press the volume knob in, it turns the music off. Does this feature work with the ipod.
    3. When you turn the ignition off, does the ipod stop.

I have just bought a 6th generation nano (yes the very small one) and am looking into getting it installed into my 2005 A3 sport. I have a feeling you might get different results with different installations.

6th Gear

Status
    So just to confirm the Dension works with the Sym II head unit (6 disc internal changer)?

6th Gear

Status
    How do i know if my headunit is a Symphony II or Symphony II+?

Lacks Car Funds...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_r View Post
    Can you tell me how this works on a practical level.

The ipod is in the glove box, for example, and its permanently connected to the 6 cd changer via the Denison Gateway.

1. You turn on the ignition, does the music start straight away, or do you have to get the ipod out and turn it on, select album, etc.

I've got mine set up with the ash tray dock mod, see below. I dock iPod and press "cd" on the headunit, music plays instantly.

2. Can you control the volume using the standard volume knob on the symphony. Normally if you press the volume knob in, it turns the music off.
    Does this feature work with the ipod.

Yes, press it and headunit turns off and stops charging iPod. Volume works as normal too.

3. When you turn the ignition off, does the ipod stop.

If you turn ignition off it'll continue playing until the key is taken out of the ignition barrel.

I have just bought a 6th generation nano (yes the very small one) and am looking into getting it installed into my 2005 A3 sport. I have a feeling you might get different results with different installations.

Woszki, just tried that "trick" but it didn't work for me. All I get is iPod ui as in pic of DIS below.

1st Gear

Status
    Circleswim, thanks for the reply. Specificaly, if you have the ipod playing, turn it off using the volume knob, then later turn it on, will it restart at the same place you stopped it at.

You have the Denison, do other makes operate differently.

6th Gear

Status
    Circleswim do you have the GW16AC2?

Lacks Car Funds...

Status
    paul_r

yes, the volume button works exactly as it does when using the radio etc.

Robin A3

yes i do have the GW16AC2, i specifically requested it when i ordered as I wanted to have the track names shown as per this thread: Ipod Car Kit

I have been using the kit for about 10 months now and love it apart from the fact it wont show my track names, ive come to the conclusion that as my car is one of the pre 2006 s-lines my DIS aint advanced enough to decipher the tracks names.... it may well be a load of rubbish but thats what it seems like to me!

2nd Gear

Status
    i have the 32ac2 version i think - it works for me

where abouts are living i could give you a hand if your local?

Lacks Car Funds...

Status
    I'm about 20-30mins from Cardiff.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA3 View Post
    How do i know if my headunit is a Symphony II or Symphony II+?
    I believe the II+ has a larger screen and no tape deck.
    2.0 TDI SE 140

6th Gear

Status
    I have just ordered a Dension GW16AC2 kit for mine.

I have read that the stereo removal keys from ebay are crap, anyone got any genuine ones which they wouldn't mind lending me?

Lacks Car Funds...

Status
    The eBay keys may be cheap but shred your fingers to pieces because the edges are burred really bad and bend out of shape when trying to remove the headunit. I never actually managed to remove the headunit with the eBay keys. Order some of the genuine audi ones from your dealer, set me back 7 I think for the set of 4 keys. They did the job perfect first time! I have some you can borrow if your any where near south Wales...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA3 View Post
    I have just ordered a Dension GW16AC2 kit for mine.

I have read that the stereo removal keys from ebay are crap, anyone got any genuine ones which they wouldn't mind lending me?
    1. Where did you order it from.
    2. Obviously, you are going to try to do it yourself. Let me know how it go's. (or even a photo diary, maybe thats pushing it a bit)

Good luck anyway.

Lacks Car Funds...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_r View Post
    1. Where did you order it from.
    2. Obviously, you are going to try to do it yourself. Let me know how it go's. (or even a photo diary, maybe thats pushing it a bit)

Good luck anyway.
    It's an easy job, plug n play.

6th Gear

Status
    I got mine from eBay for 130. Bloody expensive but cheapest place I could find it for. I will be fitting it myself. I'll do a guide for it when I come to do it.

1st Gear

Status
    Yes, they are blo0dy expensive.

Looking on the Dension website there;s quite a few versions, text and non text, bluetooth, etc.

1st Gear

Status
    Have you fitted it yet?

6th Gear

Status
    Yup

Fitted it last week.

Here is a picture guide i did for it.

Fitted Dension IPod kit - picture guide.