Chris NottEM Tuning
    c_w
    5th Gear

Status

Extending Glow Plug Time 2.0TDI in VAGCOM?

I know it's a strange request but does anyone know specifically how to extend the glow plug time on the 2.0TDI engine? (170 to be specific). The first cold start of the day it usually fires up then dies straight away or takes longer than usual to start. The battery is fine and once it's been run for a few minutes it restarts perfectly.

It's got new OE glow plugs on, new fuel, air filters and otherwise runs perfectly. I've found that if I put the ignition on, wait for the glow plug light to go off, then do that a couple of times then start it, it starts fine first time, so just wondering if I could alter the glow plug time a bit so that don't need to keep doing the ignition on/off first.

In VAGCOM in Engine module / Adaptation, I think on channel 8 there is a setting that says 2 seconds at 0 deg, I think this is the glow plug time. The original setting is "128", but don't know what figure to put in there to increase the timing (have tried random numbers like 127/129/64/256 but it doesn't accept anything so left it back at 128).
    Last edited by c_w; 5th December 2010 at 15:18.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    it doesnt work on the 8P - i tried it on mine but nothing would make it change the real value

only working solution i found was to turn on th ignition, wait for the orange glow light to go off, then turn off the ignition for a few secs, turn on again and wait again, then start engine.
    TT-RS 410hp revo
    Fiat 500 1.3 tdi 120hp
    A3 8P 2.0tdi 240hp Autograph Cars
    RS4 B5 520hp MTM
    S3 8L 345hp MTM
    Volvo 850 T5 300hp BSR
    Fiat Punto GT 130hp
    Lancia Delta Turbo 185hp
    Lancia Beta Coupe 122hp
    Mini 74hp

Gievf Buckets

Status
    as dunk says it doesnt seem to work, but turning on and off will have the same effect

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    Ok thanks! I've been doing the igniton on/off thing, bit annoying but suppose sounds like have to just do that in this cold weather!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Have you had the injectors tested? i seem to remember poor starting can be a sign one is on the way out - something to do with loosing compression in one cylinder. My 2.0tdi has no issue starting cold

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    Not much help i know but the glow plug time can be changed in the mapping if you have a custom map.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

1st Gear

Status
    I've got the exact same problem, leave the glow plug light on a few seconds, do this one or more times and then the engine refuses to starts on the first turn of the key.
    I have to try it a couple of times and also have the accelerator pedal pressed at the same time

I've only had the car 9 days!!!

Gonna start with a vagcom scan, replace the plugs, check for voltage drop on the starter motor, check for fuel running back to the tank and so on.....
    Last edited by basssound; 6th December 2010 at 20:17.