Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

Converting from an 8P to newer 2009 S-Line Front

Can this be done and what does it entail?

I have read the guides on converting form double to single grill

and from Single to S-Line

But can an 8P1 be converted directly to a 2009 S line front?

I'm guessing it needs, Bumper and Bonnet, but will it need lights and wings too?

What exactly will i have to cut back on the crash bar?

So on a pre 2005 A3, what else will be needed to fit this bumper other than the bonnet?

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Is it literally the same as this then?

Conversion from pre-facelift double grill bumper to facelift S-line bumper

No need for lights or wings?

6th Gear

Status
    no it's totally different. there's a thread on this if you search telling you what it involved.

you'll need

bonnet
    bumper
    wings
    wing mirrors (because the indicators have been moved the wing mirrors)
    bumper
    all grilles
    fog lights
    new front panel
    bonnet catches
    bonnet hinges
    headlamps

you'll then need to fit it all, code it all and get it all painted. it's not a small task. if you wanna do the upgrade then do the first facelift. it's nearly as good, but for a fraction of the price and effort.

2 members have done it on here - a chap called Dean who i've only come across recently. nice chap, very helpful.

the other one is a guy called Phil who did it to a Cat D S3. also a nice chap, very knowledgable.

but before you bother them find the thread first, because it really has all the information you need.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Really? I thought it was the S3 front that required new lights and wings?

I know its not a small task, thats fine, the front end of the car needs work anyway so somethings going to happen either way but i thought i might aswell put on the newer style one as its more to my liking whilst stripping/rebuilding it.

S

events moderator

Status
    its a huge conversion to do as sub39h says you need all those parts plus some on who can code it all plus painting i think it would be very very costly do the 8p2 font end much cheaper and in my opinion better looking as the 8p3 s-line front doesnt look that different from the standard models
    ​She is back on the road yay!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Is the bumper i posted not simply a 2009 s line like the conversion i posted anyway?

6th Gear

Status
    for starters it's not an S-Line bumper, no. it's a "Sport" bumper, or an SE or standard bumper for a car equipped with foglights as an option.

that bumper WILL NOT fit an older car without significant modification to the front end. the front panel needs to be changed, the bonnet won't align with the grille and the gaps for the headlights are totally wrong.

also, the conversion you posted is for a 2006+ S-Line conversion, not the 2009 version.

please google some photos and then look at the thread i mentioned. i certainly would not recommend embarking on any modification without doing your homework first. you'll end up out of pocket and frustrated.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

Reverse Gear

Status
    Right think i understand now. The one i posted is from a 2009 which is the 2nd facelift they did.

If i was to fit a 2006 s line front end, then it would just be bonnet/bumper/side to side bar - is that right?

Also, which rear bumpers will fit? They're all the same at the back right?

S

6th Gear

Status
    for the 2006 S-Line you don't need the crash bar as far as i'm aware. if you want an S3 front bumper THEN you need to either swap the front crash bar or trim a little off the end (the preferred option).

only the bonnet, bumper, grille, fog lights and fog light surrounds and you're good to go.

i take it yours is a 3 door? there's 3 different types of rear bumper for the 3 door. any rear 3dr bumper bumper will fit and 3dr from any year. the valances are different though, and again there's a thread for this and it can be rather confusing.

the rear lights are also a straight swap. they're a nice touch i feel, and are inexpensive. (i paid 165 straight from Audi and they come with all the bulbs so it's literally plug and play.)

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers, i was getting confused with the bumper i posted and thought it would fit like a 2006 one.

Yeh i noticed the different valances and have read threads about the exhausts not sitting right on different ones, but all valances fit all bumpers yes?

And yeh you mean MY09 lights and the such, i like the look of them but think they definitely need the s-line ( non rubstrip ) rear bumper to go with it first.

Thanks again for your help bud!

S

6th Gear

Status
    no not all valances fit all bumpers. it depends on what look you're after.

there's the 04 - 08 "standard" bumper (which for the purposes of this i'll call bumper "A")

the 06 - 08 S-Line bumper, which is also the 06 - present S3 bumper (bumper "B")

finally, there's the facelift bumper, used for both the standard and S-Line models but NOT the S3 (bumper "C")

you need B for any age of S3 valance or the prefacelift S-Line valance.

you need C for the facelifted (i.e. most recent) S-Line valance, which i think looks the best personally.
    Last edited by sub39h; 5th December 2010 at 10:53.

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

Gievf Buckets

Status
    I've a s3 / sline crash bar available pm me an offer, as subby says its a real job to go 09 on 06 is a bolt on facelift

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.