Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Sportback owner

Status

Help, I have water in my hinge hole

OK so not what you expected - lol. Anyway, imagine my surprise when I lifted the rear door of my Sportback, to hear water sloshing around, and then about a cup of water came out of the hole in the right-hand hinge. It happened again after the latest bad weather, although this time water must have emptied down inside the bodywork. This is not window washer water, as mine is red and would show bubbles. It seems to be rainwater. How on earth it got in there I do not know. Has any other member suffered from this? It looks like the only possible water ingress areas are the top LED stoplight unit or the lower-down light fittings. Any clues as to what I should do? Is this a frequent problem with the SB rear doors? Any suggestions very welcome.
    French A3 Sportback 2006, 2.0L 140 TDI, DSG, RSN-E, Ambient lighting, Auto-lights/wipers, Reverse assist, Dolphin Grey, 17" wheels, Leather seats, Cruise control, Roof bars.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I've not heard of any problems with tailgates on the A3s apart from the washer pipes popping off. Red washer fluid? Does it look like a blood bath?
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Sportback owner

Status
    No Khufu, I am sure it is not window washing liquid. The rear washer seems to be working fine. The washer fluid I use is actually a pink colour, smells of apples, and is quite soapy. Perhaps I can use it as aftershave-lol. Does anyone know how to remove the upper LED break light to see if the seal is broken or missing?
    French A3 Sportback 2006, 2.0L 140 TDI, DSG, RSN-E, Ambient lighting, Auto-lights/wipers, Reverse assist, Dolphin Grey, 17" wheels, Leather seats, Cruise control, Roof bars.