Something to put you off that "trip to the Nordschleife"

S3RYE

Interior Next!!
Reaction score
Hi

Was just browsing some S3 vids and came across this! :ohmy: looks to be a RHD too...
(i know there is a video thread but this is A3/S3 specific)

just found the view from (i guess his mate)

Last edited by a moderator:
ouch!!!
how much we betting he wasnt insured for a race track either?

pretty sure that'll be a write off too... bad news.... seems a lot of people underestimate that corner... that sad thing is this was down to driver error but there is every chance you'll go there drive fine and some knob will make you crash due to his shocking driving!!! just watched a vid of an english guy in an evo and an m3 pretty much made him put it in the wall! :banghead:

Why is it always that corner that people crash on?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooops. I'm guessing he carried to much speed rather than the wrong line that threw him wide. Once he touched the grass and THEN touched the brakes there was no recovery, he'd have been better off applying full power once on the grass!!! ???

David

What corner is that? This is waht scares me away from the ring as much as I would love it. I don't think i'm an amazing driver but certainly no pushover either.

Ha! I was going to post that VXR "Nurburgring Edition" Astra smash aswell :p

The costs can build up quite quickly when you crash there too!

It can go up and over £XX,000's on top of car car damage costs for barrier repair, track closure, emergency services callout, recovery + cleanup.

I remember seeing a link to the breakdown of costs on another forum (I think it was CC|UK) but I can't remember what it was.

not worth it IMO.

Ha! I was going to post that VXR "Nurburgring Edition" Astra smash aswell :p

The costs can build up quite quickly when you crash there too!

It can go up and over £XX,000's on top of car car damage costs for barrier repair, track closure, emergency services callout, recovery + cleanup.

I remember seeing a link to the breakdown of costs on another forum (I think it was CC|UK) but I can't remember what it was.

not worth it IMO.

:laugh:

You know why i'm laughing Jonay

/forehead slap

man, watching that first one just makes you go "ouch!"
I reckon he was going to hit that wall even if he had tried to power out of that,
it would probably have hit the rear then...

EDIT: scratch that, he would never have corrected it due to his speed.

Last edited:
Another case of someone not treating the track with the respect it deserves.

There's no way in hell he'll be insured. You can't get trackday insurance because it's not a track but rather a one-way public toll road. In theory your standard insurance should cover you but in reality they all have clauses about "racing, rallying or time-trials", if not a specific exclusion for the 'ring and you'd have to take them to court to try and get a pay out. Even so you'd never get a payout for the track damage and recovery costs which will easily run to thousands of Euros.

There's no way in hell he'll be insured. You can't get trackday insurance because it's not a track but rather a one-way public toll road. In theory your standard insurance should cover you but in reality they all have clauses about "racing, rallying or time-trials", if not a specific exclusion for the 'ring and you'd have to take them to court to try and get a pay out. Even so you'd never get a payout for the track damage and recovery costs which will easily run to thousands of Euros.

on my current policy it just talks about track days and race tracks i think, but on my old policy with admiral it specifically mentions the ring!!

As I said, always assume you're uninsured as you'll have an almost impossible job getting a payout in reality, regardless of what your policy says. They'll just say "fine, take us to court", knowing noone will do so and risk the huge costs if they lose.

I've been three times in two different A3s and have always driven with the above assumption. Whilst it's more than possible to have an accident that's not your fault (a Brit in an Elise got swiped by Sabine in the M5 when I was there once), I have little sympathy for those who crash because they simply didn't treat the place with the respect it's due.

As I said, always assume you're uninsured as you'll have an almost impossible job getting a payout in reality, regardless of what your policy says. They'll just say "fine, take us to court", knowing noone will do so and risk the huge costs if they lose.

very true
when i do start tracking my car, ill be looking into track day insurance as am not sure its worth the small risk if something goes wrong

I have been there 3 times going again next Easter, I would guess all the times I have been there 75% of crashes are English drivers, and we are talking like 3 -5 a day on busy public days. I love the place, but only driven it once, I was not intending to take it around, but I found a time where it was late, track was due to close soon. very dry, and very little traffic going around, I took it easy, though had some good moments proving to me how good the S3 is, Had 2 very experienced guys co-piloting me as well, prob the most important part. I had been around as a passenger before, but driving is actually 10 times worse than you can imagine, especially if like me no tarmac track experience.
I do love just going to the place, The whole area is all about Cars, Bikes and racing, if you are lucky with good weather, it can hit 30's C sometimes, even in May, but it is quite a cheap weekend if 4 of you plan ahead and stay at like centre parks about 12 miles away.

It's an epic place and everyone should go there at least once, even if they don't drive it. I remember coming in after my very first lap and rolling the window down as I rolled up to my mates in the car park and just saying "holy ****ing crap!". Intense doesn't describe it.

Hope to go back next year but public days are very few and far between recently - the place is a victim of its own success.

on my current policy it just talks about track days and race tracks i think, but on my old policy with admiral it specifically mentions the ring!!

yeh me too.. at the bottom it talks about track days but hasx a seperate part mentioning the ring.. must be an admiral thing!

tell me bout it! i cant begin to imagine how that guy felt as he walked round the car and saw the damage... to make matters worse you have to arrange gettin your smashed up car back to UK (if your from uk)

to be fair though his driving was pretty ****... by the looks of things that clio was possibly with him and either way the S3 didnt like the fact he was catching him so easily (obv a better driver) so this guy has just overstepped his ability... and thats the result... :drag:

Is that not part of the attraction of track driving? The fear and potential costs tend the focus the enjoyment. When sitting in the pub after you feel good for the experience.

I tend to enjoy a rapid spin out on a fast motorcycle, if you get it wrong it will be serious. When you have a "close one" adds to the enjoyment. When it is very close makes me to ask if adrenalin is a brown liquid.

When you go on a track you may stack it. If you cannot cope with that you should not be there.

very true
when i do start tracking my car, ill be looking into track day insurance as am not sure its worth the small risk if something goes wrong
When I sourced trackday insurance it had an excess of 3k and only covered the body not engine parts

yeh me too.. at the bottom it talks about track days but hasx a seperate part mentioning the ring.. must be an admiral thing!

they just must know a lots of people from the uk go to the ring and as ive just read as its technically a track they have put it in there to make it back and white that you aint covered for it, unlike tesco where it isnt so clear

That guy simply doesn't know how to corner... :banghead:

Very few people do at the ring - I certainly never have.

It depends how you drive I suppose, but when i've driven all the way to Nordschleife I expect to give my car some stick when I get there, so i'll don a helmet because i've seen first hand what happens when you don't. But if you're going to pootle around at 60mph then I guess it's no worse than driving along a B-road with no oncoming traffic, so a helmet isn't so justified.

On the insurance thing he will be covered as its an autobahn not a track but you wont be covered for the cost of repairing the armco. last time someone i know touched it it was £600 per meter and its 3 rows high so you can do the math. also can take up to 6 months to get your car back as they weight till there is a car carrier full.

mate wrote his Gt3 off and another has blown his RS500 over there.

That corner has a weird camber that will pull you over if you enter it from where he did and was going a touch too fast. its mainly bikes that go off at that one.

Hope they got home ok.

On the insurance thing he will be covered as its an autobahn not a track but you wont be covered for the cost of repairing the armco. last time someone i know touched it it was £600 per meter and its 3 rows high so you can do the math. also can take up to 6 months to get your car back as they weight till there is a car carrier full.

unless he is insured with admiral as that specifically mentions the ring as an exclusion

On the insurance thing he will be covered as its an autobahn not a track

I seriously doubt it - see above. His policy will have wording about "racing, rallying & time-trials" which they'll use to get out of paying and he'll have to take it to the courts if he wants to pursue it. As usual in such cases, his best bet would be to claim it happened somewhere else entirely, down some quiet country lane :)

The Nordschliefe isn't an Autobahn as such, it's technically classed as a "public one-way toll road". Despite the problems you'd have getting insurance to pay out, the rules of the normal highway do apply. What this means in reality is that everyone must have at least third-party insurance and, in the case of two cars coming together, the "innocent" party can claim off the insurance of the "guilty" party. For this reason the police are sometimes called to incidents on track so that blame can be established for later purposes.

Whilst insurers will do anything and everything to avoid paying out if you stack it, when it comes to third-party cover, they'll all honour this as it's a legal requirement, so at least you won't have to pay to repair the Ferrari you drive into :D

know what your saying but ive allot of crap driver mates that we go over with and they have had no problems so far getting pay outs.

How do you know? Maybe he was just blitzing it and lost grip. Just because someone crashes it doesn't mean they're not treating the track with respect, professional motor-sport drivers crash all the time but I bet it has nothing to do with track-respect.

Inexperience and overconfidence has been the most common cause of the trackday crashes I've seen.

**** happens, and you should always have that in mind when booking a trackday.

BTW a mate crashed his 8L S3 on the 'Ring and the bill for the track repairs (Armco+grass) was €1800.

Last edited:
Don't suppose the Oct track temperature helped. Carrying a lot of speed my S3 would understeer on that bend but it was consistant and predictable. Watched the vid a few times and still can't quite make out why the S3 crashed.

Done the Ring many times now and yes it is a risk but you have go in to it eyes wide open. My biggest concern are other cars/bikes either going too fast, not knowing track rules and my pet hate is trying to race me as I go there to have fun not prove a point.

Last edited: