Xenon lights? Get flashed at?

slimbloke

Reaction score
Website
www.underwired.com
Is it just me, or do a lot of people think you have main beam on because dipped beam is still so bright? I get flashed at least 25% of the night drives I do... last night, I actually had an old couple stop and flag me to overtake on a coutry road, and then flash me from behind.. I presume to announce their disgust at my expensive option outlay!

Don't get any people flashing me. But occasionally other cars move over and let me past for no reason, must think it's the police.

Yoda

I've read on other motoring forums (both general and other 'prestige') that people with Xens were getting flashed a lot.

Don't know whether it s a characteristic or just poor adjustment\levelling?

Some Xens on 3 series do dazzle me especially if head on or in the rear view mirror.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I also get flashed a lot. You get a lot more people flashing at you when you've also got your spot lights on.

Flashing and thinking your police happens to friends with xens and myself all the time.

I often just flash them back..

Does anyone else find the lights on the new A3 worse? The xenons on my new A3 are terrible with no distance and the main beam has no penetration. Stealer has adjusted them once, anyone tried PIAA bulbs? Sorry to hijack your post.

I'm reasonably impressed with the xenons on mine and only been flashed twice in 2 weeks of ownership!

Used to get flashed all the time when I had the TT. I even had one agressive looking guy block the road in front of me and ask me why I kept flashing him!! Think it was a combination of fairly stiff suspension and poor auto levelling, although don't think he was convinced by my excuse.

Also, even with only slightly undulating roads you will "flash" the oncoming car, which can't be helped whether you have xenons or not, but is more noticable if it's a xenon car.

And synthdood is spot on. One of mine started searching for enemy aircraft after going through a pot hole. Dealer realigned for free. I pi$$ed off a lot of people that weekend!

[ QUOTE ]
TREX said:
Supersonic the spot lights your talking about are they not front fog lights, to be used only when driving in adverse weather conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Spot on, pet hate of many people, please dont use FOG lights as driving lights, no need......
You will get flashed as every one may think you are a **** Head (not me by the way)

I've got the new A3 sport with xenons although i haven't been flashed at yet, i find the headlight range very poor.Can you get them adjusted to throw the beam further?.Is this a Audi job or can it be done yourself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

IMO Xenons seem to have a poorer range because the highly focused lit area of the road ahead has a sharp cut off at the set range i.e light then NO light. Conventional lights have a gradual fade from light to dark which means you can actually see 'dimly' for further with normal lights. Xenons give more light in 'range' but then darkness outside their 'range'. As the Xenon is low beam only (high beam is the additional conventional lamp) this problem is worse when you dip your lights for an oncoming car only to find you suddenly can't see the bend ahead that you could see perfectly well previously!

Are they just a posers option? I bought them anyway.

They are probably just adjusted down. There is a range of adjustment which is still legal. The upper end of legal gives fantastic range. Just go to an MOT place and get it done using the manual adjustment on the headlight itself.

Once at that height the auto-levelling will keep it there.

IMHO it's worth it.

I can't see where you can manually adjust vertically the new A3's xenons. You can in the horizontal plane withe adjusting allen key shape screws in the top of the housing. But where are these for vertical adjustment?