AH FabricationsVolks Autos

Thread: Juddering

Reverse Gear

Status

Juddering

Hi, im hoping someone will be able help me out. Ive got a 2003 a3 2.0fsi and for some reason it is juddery when i drive it at between 1600-1800rpm it is quite bad and very annoying its most promonent in 4th and 5th gear. I have VAG COM'ed the car and there are no fault codes what soever. If there are any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi driver since Dec 08

Status
    It could be the flywheel. Is it okay under light throttle, but bad if you put your foot down hard at low RPM? You shouldn't reeeeally be loading the engine up very hard at such low engine speeds, but when dual mass flywheels start getting tired, it doesn't take much to provoke them into vibrating, it would seem. Many miles on the car? Have the clutch/flywheel been replaced yet?
    .: 2005 Dolphin Grey A3 2.0 TDI Sport :.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the reply

it is ok under light throttle, the car has done 118k miles and as far as i know the clutch etc hasnt been replaced, i had wondered if the flywheel was going as when i put my foot on the clutch i can feel a vibration throught he pedal, but the actual juddering is like the car losing power for a split second?

Audi driver since Dec 08

Status
    That might be your clutch slipping then. Do the revs pick up unusually quickly when it happens?

Reverse Gear

Status
    thats the strange thing, there are no deviation in the revs as far as i can see looking at the needle, i put the cruise control on and it judders but the revs stay the same its like the brakes are applying quickly then releasing but all the time while in that rev range?

Thanks

Status
    I have a very light vibration through the pedals, and it started at low RPM, but has increased up the RPM as time has gone by. Like you (to date) no obvious rev rise / clutch slip. I'm assuming the DMF is on its way out.
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

Reverse Gear

Status
    Well if it is the DMF i have no funds to sort it out atm anyway so will just stick to using a higher gear and stay out of that rev band. Thanks for all the help, if there is anyone else with a different opinion then it would be welcome if you think it could be something else.

Thanks again

Ben

Audi driver since Dec 08

Status
    Perhaps the apparent loss of power is all in your head then? I could believe that.

P.S. Use a lower gear, not a higher gear, as that would make it worse

Reverse Gear

Status
    DOH lol, yes that would be lower gear, thanks again

2nd Gear

Status
    Its unlikely in your case, but I had a juddering you could feel through the whole car that was worse from low revs.

It was a worn/broken inner CV joint that had loads of play in it. It might be worth getting under the car, getting a firm grip on each shaft and 'shaking' them to check for excess movement, at least its another thing you can rule out...