Clunking coming from steering column area

dickys3

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm getting a clunking noise when turning the steering wheel. This only happens when pulling off/parking etc (basically low speed).

I thought it was the rack at first, but the noise appears to be coming from inside the cabin. If I lower the wheel all the way to the lowest setting, the clunking stops, so its like the wheel is catching on something. As soon as I raise the wheel back up, the clunking comes back.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Rich.

Ideally you need to remove the trim that hides the column & get a torch in there with someone turning the wheel back/forth whilst you check if its catching something at certain positions of the wheel set positioning.

This has only just happened I assume or new car & problem since purchase?

Ideally you need to remove the trim that hides the column & get a torch in there with someone turning the wheel back/forth whilst you check if its catching something at certain positions of the wheel set positioning.

This has only just happened I assume or new car & problem since purchase?

Cheers mate. I'll have a dig around next weekend to see what is causing it!

I've had the car a while, but only recently adjusted the wheel position and then started noticing the clunk! I thought it was coming from he rack/suspension, but then lowered the wheel position and the problem went away. As soon as I raise the wheel again, it comes back.

Well as the steering column actually is 1 pole sitting within a tube effectively, then maybe its this thats loose inside the tube at certain heights, thats my analogy anyway :)