Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    2nd Gear

Status

Dont think the quattro system will help today

Looks like some of us will be walking to work tomorrow
    Lol, and still no signs of mr plow [/IMG]
    Last edited by bluequattro; 28th November 2010 at 14:13.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    that's because he's american and spells it "plow"

look, here he is now...

2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

2nd Gear

Status
    Homers the man m8

Cal

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    You will be fine..thats just a shower.Take more than that to stop an Audi

I got to work in this last year

Trouble was i was the only one to make it in so did myself out of a day off...lol
    Last edited by paddy; 28th November 2010 at 15:11.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

Status
    The only thing that stops you is when it digs into snow that is too deep for your front clearance.

I ran 19's all last winter and didn't suffer once (tyres were brand new, not worn like they are now).

If you drive based on the conditions yo'll be fine; it's the other muppets you want to watch out for!
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warrencox View Post
    If you drive based on the conditions yo'll be fine; it's the other muppets you want to watch out for!
    spot on, been astonished by some of the bad driving Ive seen these last couple of days.

Some nob heads just dont adjust their driving to suit the poor conditions, driving too close, driving too too fast, and pulling out in front of you at junctions...
    Mompadites.

Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Neutral

Status
    thats nowt, car will handle that fine, just take your time as quattro system helps you get going but it wont help you to stop, and abs is u/s in snow.

1st Gear

Status
    My new winter tyres ( Continental TS810 S ) have been brilliant the last couple of days :-)
    2010 S3 Sportback, MY11, S-tronic, Sprint Blue - gone
    2010 A3 TDi 170 quattro, Black Edition, Phantom Black

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Yea have to admit the sticking point for me was the firms carpark...I hit it at speed and the car went up on its floor plan and stopped...all four wheels off the ground. Turned into a sledge....lol. The snow piles up in front and eventually you drive up onto the pile
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

1st Gear

Status
    That happened to me in February in the snow as well. Drove up to the in-laws house and their drive is up a slope. Was the first car to go up it (S3) and made it no problem. Went to reverse away and car was beached on the snow underneath! Moral of the story - don't stop lol

Agree with comment above, that whilst quattro gives you great traction, you still can't stop any better than the next person. Seriously considering winter tyres this year - anyone know what size you get for standard S3 alloys? (is it still 225/40 18s?)

5th Gear

Status
    Mine isn't moving. My drive is about 30 metres long and up a hill and my space on the drive means I park across the slope... so I can't even get it moving to get it down the drive not that I'd want to as chances are I'd slide from the top down to the bottom! I find the A3 is hopeless in snow.
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

2nd Gear

Status
    Time to get the snow shovel working m8 and dig your
    Car out.

Cal

6th Gear

Status
    No snow here
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...

I'll be back!!!

3rd Gear

Status
    yeah quite annoyed, no snow here either, even after the weather report says snow for like 6 hours, grrrrr

Status
    None here either. Frost, but not an drizzle of sleet even on the horizon

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warrencox View Post

Too true, reminds me of a few years ago where I had been upto Scotland doing some skiing, all in all I did almost 1800 miles of driving in snow without a problem, got within 100 metres of home and some prick driving towards me loses control as he tries to accelerate and crashed into me, I wasn't best pleased.

As above it doesn't matter how great a driver you are it's the other dicks you have to worry about
    2004 A4 1.8T S-line 218

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    I just tried driving the car for the first time since i have had it in the snow and to be honest its pretty useless... skids around quite a bit! but i dont have the Quattro. Woudl winter tires help me out anymore?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

5th Gear

Status
    I'm sure it would be nice to have Quattro in terms of getting you moving but it doesn't stop you any better! Thats the main problem in snow and ice!

Drove to work in mine today, just took it steady, kept my distance from people. The slush had turned to ice on the B road to my house so it was pretty lethal. Some people seem to think they can just drive at normal speeds though?!
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

3rd Gear

Status
    Winter tyres would help a great deal, but chances of you getting any now are pretty remote, massive shortage now

I read that some insurance premiums go up if you fit winter tyres, WHY would anyone phone up the insurance so ask anyhow?????? good old Rip off Britian

3rd Gear

Status
    Matt having a quattro would help you stop better in most conditions, well maybe all conditions, not sure how much, but it would help a little as you have 2 wheels at anyone time trying to grip instead of 1, but Tyres are by far the most important.

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

Insurance go up to if you fit winter tyres?? wtf i would think its better isnt it? i mean you are being more safe
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme187 View Post
    Insurance go up to if you fit winter tyres?? wtf i would think its better isnt it? i mean you are being more safe
    'Modification' is deemed to mean any movement from OEM spec, so robbers (e.g Insurance companies) don't miss an opportunity to scam some more cash from those WHO WILL PAY as it is a ripe low hanging fruit that is too sweet to miss out on.

Ironically some can drive a stolen, uninsured car without an MoT with bald tyres in winter and receive very little repercussion if they're caught! We try and do something honorable and prudent and the insurers prepare another space at the milking station ready to hook up the cash cow!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme187 View Post
    Not necessarily. Having the winter tyres might encourage people to go out in worse conditions than if you did not have the winter tyres. Also IIRC, more accidents in snowy weather end up 50/50 liability than at other times.

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

but it seems like its penalising people who think to take care of themselves... i mean most people dont bother hence car crashes!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:

Items for Sale

5th Gear

Status
    I agree. But putting a big brake kit on a car will invariably up the insurance even though, in theory, it means you are probably less likely to go up the back of someone. The insurance bods, I presume, will decide you will be late braking all the time...

Insurance is a business not a service, so they will try to up your premium when they can.

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by alijames View Post
    Insurance is a business not a service, so they will try to up your premium when they can.
    Except they KNOW that we need car insurance, and they think it gives them a license to rip us off. How would you feel if you walked into a store and were about to buy a TV, but at the last minute you mention to the salesperson that you have Sky and you're then told you need to pay 200 extra for a different model?

Or that you have to pay more because you're younger when it's completely arbitrary? I'm 23 a d I've never been at fault in an accident (been rear ended at a round about, and some numpty pulled into my lane when we saw me and I didn't have time to stop).

Yet i'm young and male and therefore it's ASSUMED I'm unsafe when I've never gotten close to causing an accident.

Insurance is a rip off. There's no defending them, they're scum.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    too true!!
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

To Do list: Now that would be telling

PM me for Weitec & KW coilovers

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    I used to feel that way, until the day some really old (and worthless) car hit me from the back and the insurance is paying in full for all my parts to be replaced (not repaired). Even a slightly dented rear hatch. The total repair bill was nearly 2X the market value of his car.

For what it's worth, sometimes insurance can be a pain in the buttocks as well as I recently got into another accident where a drunk driver got into my lane while negotiating a blind bend, I swerved and skidded off the road. But the unfortunate part is that I DID NOT hit the guy. Which from the police's report or insurance's point of view is that I drove out of the road on my own.

They should be covering the loss for that as well, but my no-claims bonus is gone.

Still, at least with these two cases behind me, I dont actually feel that bad paying the insurance premiums.
    World's Fastest S3 Driver - racing old people in toyota camries since 1997 with a 97.6% winning rate.

6th Gear

Status
    How did you know he was drunk? Purely out of interest...

Glad you were ok btw.

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

3rd Gear

Status
    He stopped. Guess you really have to be an arse of major proportions to run away from the scene of such an accident.

Maybe drunk was not the right word. Intoxicated / high / dizzy might be the better description. I'm not too sure if it was the shock from the event or maybe he was really under the influence of alcohol, but he was mumbling a lot, and speech was incoherent. And he smelled of cheap beer and fags...I know that smell well...bar smell.

Naturally, his police report the next day was a different version from mine. Unfortunately, over here in this part of the world, the police need not show up at the scene of an accident if it isnt serious (i.e. major injury or death)

Yep, quite happy to come out of that all right, slightly bruised arm and aching body, but overall I came out quite good compared to the car. Guess all the extra weight of airbags and safety structure really do pay dividends on a road going vehicle.
    World's Fastest S3 Driver - racing old people in toyota camries since 1997 with a 97.6% winning rate.