LED Side light help

Sock

Shark in a Goldfishes clothing
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find anything in the search box

I have bought some LED side lights for my car ( 57 plate A3 ) and when I put them in they don't work, I have tried switching the bulbs round as I know in some cars you have to had the bulb a specific way to work with no joy.

Also when I take the old peanut style bulbs out and put them back in they don't work until I turn the lights / ignition off and back on? (also did this with the LED ones but they still don't work )

Should Led side light bulbs fit straight in and work or am I missing something?

To add to this,

I have just tried again and managed to get the LED lights to come on ( so I know the bulbs work ) but after about 5 seconds they went off

Does this mean that they are not drawing enough power through so the car thinks a bulb has blown and cuts the power?

I have heard of LED's making this happen but they worked fine on my mondeo and my bulb supplier assured me these would be fine?

Sock

Does this mean that they are not drawing enough power through so the car thinks a bulb has blown and cuts the power?

You got it right mate. You need to either buy specific ones that drawn the right amount of current or put a resistor in parallel with the LED to draw the current instead.

There's an LEDs thread by TobyCruise linked in the FAQs which explains a lot about LEDs, not specifically for sidelights but it's worth a read.

Found the right bulbs here

Autobulbsdirect.co.uk

:)

Found the right bulbs here

Autobulbsdirect.co.uk

:)

Don't be too disappointed if they still bring up a DIS warning.

Make sure you get the ones with at least 4 led's otherwise they are unlikely to work correctly. I have them and, whilst they work and don't switch off, the bulb warning light sometimes comes on.

The two led ones do not work ( on my 2006 sportback anyway ) !

Oh, that's the ones I've ordered :-(

I'll send em back if they dont, they cost 20 quid!!!

having the same problem on my a3,
brought LeD bulbs, they were listed as being LED bulbs with a thing called a canbus resister (not spelt right lol) to give some kind of resistance so the bulb out sensors think all is good, pluged them in, now sometimes all is good and other times they feel like having the night off, very random

thinking of going back to normal bulbs as fed up with bleeps to tell me my bulbs are having a lay inn LOL

Ive emailed the seller to cancel my order for the time being :)