EM TuningMonster Motorsport
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    is a retronaut

Status

It's time to take preventative action against thieving scumbags

With a couple of very recent threads about RNS-Es being stolen (here & here) I fear we may be at the start of a spate of thefts. The theft of your S3 wing mirrors is an expensive problem but smashing your window to nick your headunit is a lot worse.

With the wingmirrors problem quite a few rightly stated that we shouldn't buy them from eBay as we're just feeding the hands that stole them from another A3 owner, and it's a vicious circle. The same will apply with RNS-Es, so one thing we ALL need to do is buy a UV marker and stick your postcode/VRN/chassis number all over the unit. I will be buying one ASAP myself.

We may be able to take it a step further, perhaps hold a database of serial numbers next to their owners so that we can contact people directly if we happen to come across one.

One thing we really need to do this time is gather EVIDENCE. When we find a unit in the wrong hands we need to be able to positively show that unit was stolen and hopefully have action taken against them.

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions?
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    think this is a fantastic idea!!
    ill be getting a marker in the next few days and happy to put up my s/n number should the worse happen.
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

To Do list: Now that would be telling

PM me for Weitec & KW coilovers

3rd Gear

Status
    Staz, great idea BUT RNS-e serial numbers can be flashed. - With this, it is only worthwhile taking note of the sticky labelled serial number on the top of the unit - not the one programmed into memory.
    You can take the boy out of Essex but not Essex out of the boy...

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kkp0897 View Post
    Staz, great idea BUT RNS-e serial numbers can be flashed. - With this, it is only worthwhile taking note of the sticky labelled serial number on the top of the unit - not the one programmed into memory.
    Yep, that's what I was thinking already mate

EDIT: Well there's no reason why both serials shouldn't be added.
    8P2 S3

Excellent idea. As the coordinator of a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme for the small Close of 20 houses where I live, I was given some UV pens by the police to distribute to my neighbours and asked encourage them to mark all our valuable items in the house (and car).

It's a great help to the police because if any items are found when various addresses are raided by them they are able to return the goods to their rightful owners and confirm when and from where they were stolen.

I have also just received the following item from the police in connection with cars to circulate....

With the onset of darker and colder days/nights, Police are warning drivers to consider the security of their vehicles when leaving them unattended. This week, a high value vehicle was stolen from a driveway in Huntingdonshire because the owner had left the engine running and the keys in the ignition whilst the vehicle defrosted! Therefore please consider the following security advice:
    • Never leave a vehicle unattended and the engine running even it is only for a couple of minutes! Use De-Icers and Scrapers but never leave your vehicle running to thaw out frozen windows! Please remember that most, if not all, Insurance Companies will not pay out if the theft is a result of the owner leaving the vehicle in a vulnerable position. It is the owner's responsibility to ensure that the vehicle is left in a secure state and any loss as a result of the owner's negligence could prove very costly!
    • Never leave items on show inside the vehicle and never just hide them away under seats and the glove box! It is not just 'valuables' that get stolen; anything left on show can prove a temptation to an opportunist thief! Please remember that some Insurance Companies will not pay out if items have been left on show and consequently, those vehicles placed at risk! Even if they do pay out, most Insurance Companies only provide cover for personal effects upto the value of 100, therefore you stand to lose much more than you can actually claim for.
    • With the onset of darker mornings and evenings, consider where you are parking your vehicle and what that area will look like in darkness. Try and park in well lit, open areas that can be seen by other motorists and passers by and don't leave your vehicle parked in a space that is obscured by overgrown shrubbery or high fencing/walling.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

is a retronaut

Status
    Always good advice!
    8P2 S3

6th Gear

Status
    I'm about to invest in RNS-E. The two reasons I've been in no rush is that I would hate to inadvertently purchase a unit that was stolen, possibly by a fellow ASN member and also because i fear installing one only to have it stolen and not being able to claim for it.

I think a database of serial numbers is a brilliant idea and i'd be on board with a potential scheme once it's up and running and once I've acquired a unit.

My only reservation is - what if an innocent member purchases a unit and subsequently learns it's another member's stolen one? They potentially could end up out of pocket through no real fault of their own...
    Last edited by sub39h; 25th November 2010 at 18:29.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    I'm about to invest in RNS-E. The two reasons I've been in no rush is that I inadvertently purchase a unit that was stolen, possibly by a fellow ASN member and also because i fear installing one only to have it stolen and not being able to claim for it.

I think a database of serial numbers is a brilliant idea and i'd be on board with a potential scheme once it's up and running and once I've acquired a unit.

My only reservation is - what if an innocent member purchases a unit and subsequently learns it's another member's stolen one? They potentially could end up out of pocket through no real fault of their own...
    but if thats the case, couldnt you claim back through paypal who would in turn claim the money back form the seller and inform the police?
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
    but if thats the case, couldnt you claim back through paypal who would in turn claim the money back form the seller and inform the police?
    Stop being smarter than me :-(

Good suggestion!
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

Status
    Good call, will look to do SDS hack at the same time.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Good call indeed.

Although I noted on another thread in General Chat (this one eBay) that people were advising that when buying from Ebay and paying with Paypal, to send the money as a gift to avoid paying fees. If you do this then I think you have to do it separately to the Ebay auction item, and then it's not covered by Paypal protection policy. I'm pretty sure thats the case anyway.
    Last edited by beanoir; 25th November 2010 at 19:20.
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    Good call indeed.

Although I noted on another thread in General Chat (this one eBay) that people were advising that when buying from Ebay and paying with Paypal, to send the money as a gift to avoid paying fees. If you do this then I think you have to do it separately to the Ebay auction item, and then it's not covered by Paypal protection policy. I'm pretty sure thats the case anyway.
    if thats the case, just have to make sure you do it as per ebay and paypal rules to keep yourself protected, if someone asked me to do that id walk away if they wouldn let me do it the proper way, leaves you way to unprotected and would think that are up to something dodgy!

6th Gear

Status
    Sounds like a good plan
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Brilliant idea Leon and one that should be done very soon.

As said above, if you pay via paypal but as a gift, you are not covered under the protection policy as its not connected to the ebay item. You could also use your credit card so if anything goes wrong they can claim it back.

Will definately get the UV pen. What next will these scabs go for!!!

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah's A3 View Post
    Will definately get the UV pen. What next will these scabs go for!!!
    hopefully not the FBMFSW when they see its about same price! :-(
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
    hopefully not the FBMFSW when they see its about same price! :-(
    But that's a lot harder to steal. Certainly not a 5 minute job like the head units

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

6th Gear

Status
    2 torx and a spline - i reckon it could be done in 3 minutes if you dont worry about it going off in your face lol

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    I love staz

is a retronaut

Status
    I've been to watch boxing, then to the bar and now I find that N8 loves me. BEST NIGHT EVER.
    8P2 S3

Sportback owner

Status
    On the subject of UV pens, I came across this web-site. Has information on the use and limitations of UV pens, and also several other very secure permanent marking systems. Well worth a read to see what is available.
    :: Selectamark Security Systems Limited :: Have a look at their microdot and DNA marking methods.
    Enjoy.
    French A3 Sportback 2006, 2.0L 140 TDI, DSG, RSN-E, Ambient lighting, Auto-lights/wipers, Reverse assist, Dolphin Grey, 17" wheels, Leather seats, Cruise control, Roof bars.

3rd Gear

Status
    It is possible to erase UV pen markings?.. with white spirits or something else? A bit like the thread above, if it degrades over a 12 month period, not very useful.

I would say simply etch scratch the serial number into the side of the unit.
    You can take the boy out of Essex but not Essex out of the boy...

1st Gear

Status
    Only within 45 days. Paypal are very strict on that. I bought a mobile that turned out to be stolen, but the IMEI wasn't blacklisted for over three months. They weren't interested at all.

Be careful who you buy from, even buying from a seller with over 500 good feedback didn't protect me on that occasion, I think he'd been sold a pup too.
    8P2 A3 2.0T FSI S line Special Edition Sportback S tronic 2007MY. Black. Concert II+ & Bose.

is a retronaut

Status
    I plan to write using UV pen all over the back end of my unit and then add something in permanent marker also. If I have to do it once a year that's fine by me.

Okay here's my suggestion on the serial number database. I can create a thread in the admin forum so that no one apart from mods has access. If you then send me a PM with your serials (stamped and digital) and any contact details you're happy for us to retain then I add it to the list. If you don't want to give an address or phone number that's fine, so long as we can get a hold of you somehow without delay.

Any other suggestions or shall we go ahead on that?
    8P2 S3

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    I plan to write using UV pen all over the back end of my unit and then add something in permanent marker also. If I have to do it once a year that's fine by me.

Okay here's my suggestion on the serial number database. I can create a thread in the admin forum so that no one apart from mods has access. If you then send me a PM with your serials (stamped and digital) and any contact details you're happy for us to retain then I add it to the list. If you don't want to give an address or phone number that's fine, so long as we can get a hold of you somehow without delay.

Any other suggestions or shall we go ahead on that?
    Will the thread content still be visible?
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

Neutral

Status
    i will certainly be tagging my new rnse.especially being the target of the last rnse theft..

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    I love staz
    Really, doesnt resemble a sheep last pic I saw :P

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    I've been to watch boxing, then to the bar and now I find that N8 loves me. BEST NIGHT EVER.
    Ha Ha

Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Shut it you

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAA

6th Gear

Status
    Never seen Nate but in my mind he looks like one of the wurzels

but with a sheep under each arm..

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Bro your from SCOTLAND. So you can stop right there

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    Will the thread content still be visible?
    No, I wouldn't think people would want their contact details made public would they?
    8P2 S3

6th Gear

Status
    Bro your from SCOTLAND. So you can stop right there
    The sheep are a lot more fussy up here!

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Scottish people are full of win in all fairness, its the PR1CKs down here that full of fail.

S3 (8P)

Status
    We need some 10Blazin style justice !!

Where is the fella these days?
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I heard he is lecturing French

6th Gear

Status
    you not mean lechering French LOL

6th Gear

Status
    Scottish people are full of win in all fairness, its the PR1CKs down here that full of fail.
    Cheers, some scoundrels up here too LOL but we have some interesting roads & they are usually a lot quieter LOL

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

I know I miss blazin squad

S3 (8P)

Status
    epic
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
    you not mean lechering French LOL
    Touche
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....