Auto Lights Retro

Stratts

Reaction score
Hi All
After yet another day of my missus forgetting to put the lights on and getting flashed, I thought I would look to see how easy it would be to add auto lights to my BE.

Can anyone direct me to a guide somewhere or tell me what parts and wiring I need to complete? Thanks.

Do you have auto dimming rear view?

you'd need a new windshield. it's not the easiest task in the world but it can be (and has been) done before.

NHN who's posted above me is definitely the man to speak to about it

new lightswitch rewire and a recode, a new windscreen if you dont have an autodimming interior mirror or a rewire to it if you do, nige is deffinately your man for it, on a side note nige have you thought about disassebling an autodimming mirror and using the sinsor ans switch and mounting them in a more retro friendly place, not hauled mine off yet to see what the score is with them yet may have to do it soon though as im looking into adding autodim to my wing mirrors love the tint the autodim gives on the rearview

i'm confused, i didn't think the auto dimming rear view was available without auto lights/wipers, but you both have implied that it is?

ok but you can't spec a car from the factory with one? and i remember the OP only took delivery of his car a few weeks ago

i dont see any reason why you cant i cross referenced it on the 8p chassis in etka and its in there perhaps its not a uk option though?

i dont see any reason why you cant i cross referenced it on the 8p chassis in etka and its in there perhaps its not a uk option though?

perhaps... makes you wonder why they've done it that way

on a side note nige have you thought about disassebling an autodimming mirror and using the sinsor ans switch and mounting them in a more retro friendly place, not hauled mine off yet to see what the score is with them yet may have to do it soon though as im looking into adding autodim to my wing mirrors love the tint the autodim gives on the rearview

Which sensor mate as there are 3 remember, 2 on mirror & 1 on screen, cant see point in moving any of them tbh, maybe I misunderstood your reasoning, wanna elaborate further incase it went over me tonite?

Also, side note, taking the mirror apart to check the wiring for high beam was ****** fun I can tell yer, real bastardo, but now know its easy lmfao.

I may have the auto dim sides for your dumbo's if interested, maybe we could do some deal here huh?? as audi want the earth.

Sides just wire directly to the rear view 2 spare pins & they share the same connection to both mirror glasses, no seperate pin per wire, so 2 pins for 4 wires.

Personally autodim is one of my fav features along with adaptives.

i'm confused, i didn't think the auto dimming rear view was available without auto lights/wipers, but you both have implied that it is?

Was on older cars I'm sure, but newer its part of the mirror pack.

Side note, audis online configurator really is a piece of **** huh.

8R0 857 511 4PK for one in black ;)

Thats the latest release but there are older which are 8P0 which work the same.

ok but you can't spec a car from the factory with one? and i remember the OP only took delivery of his car a few weeks ago

You mean just with rear view autodim, if so then yes you're right, has to be the pack afaik.

So what's this one then Phil? 8P0 857 511C 4PK

Thats the older one which tbh is the same.

Which sensor mate as there are 3 remember, 2 on mirror & 1 on screen, cant see point in moving any of them tbh, maybe I misunderstood your reasoning, wanna elaborate further incase it went over me tonite?

Also, side note, taking the mirror apart to check the wiring for high beam was ****** fun I can tell yer, real bastardo, but now know its easy lmfao.

I may have the auto dim sides for your dumbo's if interested, maybe we could do some deal here huh?? as audi want the earth.

Sides just wire directly to the rear view 2 spare pins & they share the same connection to both mirror glasses, no seperate pin per wire, so 2 pins for 4 wires.

Personally autodim is one of my fav features along with adaptives.

Was on older cars I'm sure, but newer its part of the mirror pack.

Side note, audis online configurator really is a piece of **** huh.

Thats the latest release but there are older which are 8P0 which work the same.

You mean just with rear view autodim, if so then yes you're right, has to be the pack afaik.

Thats the older one which tbh is the same.

talk to me though my modding days are over untill next year i do however have plenty of parts for retroing lying around

yes the mirror was made a generic part number as part of ths common module project same think has happened with the adaptive modules pedals and some alloys

As stated, I couldn't order the autodimming mirror as it was only available as part of a pack that I didn't (regretfully) order.

Sounds like a bit too much hard work when the car isn't even mine. I'll just have to get the wife to learn how to use the lights properly - she has been spoilt by years of using autolights on other cars.

Thanks for all of your responses, much appreciated.

Depends if you intend to do yourself or want to pay someone else to do for you, then its not a headache at all fella, feel free to PM me if need an installer.

Last edited:
Hey who needs air con, a brick will do 2 jobs.