Chris NottSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

Auto Lights Retro

Hi All
    After yet another day of my missus forgetting to put the lights on and getting flashed, I thought I would look to see how easy it would be to add auto lights to my BE.

Can anyone direct me to a guide somewhere or tell me what parts and wiring I need to complete? Thanks.
    On the driveway:
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDi (140) Black Edition (Ibis White)
    Bluetooth/ Folding Mirrors / Storage Pack/ Rear Parking Sensors / Reversing Boot Mat / Deleted Engine Capacity / USB Connection

Delivered on 5th November 2010

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Do you have auto dimming rear view?

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

6th Gear

Status
    you'd need a new windshield. it's not the easiest task in the world but it can be (and has been) done before.

NHN who's posted above me is definitely the man to speak to about it
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

Gievf Buckets

Status
    new lightswitch rewire and a recode, a new windscreen if you dont have an autodimming interior mirror or a rewire to it if you do, nige is deffinately your man for it, on a side note nige have you thought about disassebling an autodimming mirror and using the sinsor ans switch and mounting them in a more retro friendly place, not hauled mine off yet to see what the score is with them yet may have to do it soon though as im looking into adding autodim to my wing mirrors love the tint the autodim gives on the rearview

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

6th Gear

Status
    i'm confused, i didn't think the auto dimming rear view was available without auto lights/wipers, but you both have implied that it is?
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

Gievf Buckets

Status
    8R0 857 511 4PK for one in black

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods

Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

6th Gear

Status
    ok but you can't spec a car from the factory with one? and i remember the OP only took delivery of his car a few weeks ago

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

Gievf Buckets

Status
    i dont see any reason why you cant i cross referenced it on the 8p chassis in etka and its in there perhaps its not a uk option though?

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Mods

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by P5SND View Post
    i dont see any reason why you cant i cross referenced it on the 8p chassis in etka and its in there perhaps its not a uk option though?
    perhaps... makes you wonder why they've done it that way

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

TDI S3 Hybrid

Status
    So what's this one then Phil? 8P0 857 511C 4PK

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    on a side note nige have you thought about disassebling an autodimming mirror and using the sinsor ans switch and mounting them in a more retro friendly place, not hauled mine off yet to see what the score is with them yet may have to do it soon though as im looking into adding autodim to my wing mirrors love the tint the autodim gives on the rearview
    Which sensor mate as there are 3 remember, 2 on mirror & 1 on screen, cant see point in moving any of them tbh, maybe I misunderstood your reasoning, wanna elaborate further incase it went over me tonite?

Also, side note, taking the mirror apart to check the wiring for high beam was bloody fun I can tell yer, real *******o, but now know its easy lmfao.

I may have the auto dim sides for your dumbo's if interested, maybe we could do some deal here huh?? as audi want the earth.

Sides just wire directly to the rear view 2 spare pins & they share the same connection to both mirror glasses, no seperate pin per wire, so 2 pins for 4 wires.

Personally autodim is one of my fav features along with adaptives.

Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    i'm confused, i didn't think the auto dimming rear view was available without auto lights/wipers, but you both have implied that it is?
    Was on older cars I'm sure, but newer its part of the mirror pack.

Side note, audis online configurator really is a piece of **** huh.

Thats the latest release but there are older which are 8P0 which work the same.

Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    ok but you can't spec a car from the factory with one? and i remember the OP only took delivery of his car a few weeks ago
    You mean just with rear view autodim, if so then yes you're right, has to be the pack afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean's A3 View Post
    So what's this one then Phil? 8P0 857 511C 4PK
    Thats the older one which tbh is the same.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Which sensor mate as there are 3 remember, 2 on mirror & 1 on screen, cant see point in moving any of them tbh, maybe I misunderstood your reasoning, wanna elaborate further incase it went over me tonite?

Also, side note, taking the mirror apart to check the wiring for high beam was bloody fun I can tell yer, real *******o, but now know its easy lmfao.

I may have the auto dim sides for your dumbo's if interested, maybe we could do some deal here huh?? as audi want the earth.

Sides just wire directly to the rear view 2 spare pins & they share the same connection to both mirror glasses, no seperate pin per wire, so 2 pins for 4 wires.

Personally autodim is one of my fav features along with adaptives.

Was on older cars I'm sure, but newer its part of the mirror pack.

Side note, audis online configurator really is a piece of **** huh.

Thats the latest release but there are older which are 8P0 which work the same.

You mean just with rear view autodim, if so then yes you're right, has to be the pack afaik.

Thats the older one which tbh is the same.
    talk to me though my modding days are over untill next year i do however have plenty of parts for retroing lying around

yes the mirror was made a generic part number as part of ths common module project same think has happened with the adaptive modules pedals and some alloys

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Mods

Neutral

Status
    As stated, I couldn't order the autodimming mirror as it was only available as part of a pack that I didn't (regretfully) order.

Sounds like a bit too much hard work when the car isn't even mine. I'll just have to get the wife to learn how to use the lights properly - she has been spoilt by years of using autolights on other cars.

Thanks for all of your responses, much appreciated.
    On the driveway:
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDi (140) Black Edition (Ibis White)
    Bluetooth/ Folding Mirrors / Storage Pack/ Rear Parking Sensors / Reversing Boot Mat / Deleted Engine Capacity / USB Connection

Delivered on 5th November 2010

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Depends if you intend to do yourself or want to pay someone else to do for you, then its not a headache at all fella, feel free to PM me if need an installer.
    Last edited by NHN; 24th November 2010 at 13:34.

6th Gear

Status
    A nice thin drill bit will avoid the need to swap windscreens LOL
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Hey who needs air con, a brick will do 2 jobs.