Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
    6th Gear

Status

AMI connector question

Hi,

Am about to take delivery of my new car which comes with the AMI option, which I plan on using with an iPod. I've heard that there are actually several different connectors for the AMI and that you get one of your choice with the car from new, alternatives having to be purchased separately.

Firstly, is this the case? If so, then what types of connectors are there - is it a different one for each model of iPod or just a generic iPod one? If it's just a generic iPod one then what other connectors are there as I thought the AMI only worked with iPods?

If anyone can help quickly I'd be most grateful as I need to get in touch with the broker/dealer to get this detail right before delivery.

Thanks.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    The AMI option should come with 2 leads. One is an ipod and the other is a USB connector. As you say there are other connectors available but these are pricey, I bought a mini jack plug lead so that I can use my Sony mp3 player and that was over 30 with discount. Leads were in short supply at dealers a few months ago but stocks have improved. When you take delivery make sure you get the pack with the leads.
    GOING - A4 Avant 2.0TDI 143 Black Edition, Daytona, Alcantara, Heated Seats, Tech Pack, Advance Parking, Light Pack + full LED upgrade, Power Tailgate, S Line Sports Suspension

6th Gear

Status
    Thanks for that - will make sure the leads are there
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

Silver MY10 S3

Status
    Picked my car up 2 weeks ago & came with both leads inside sealed plastic bag. On a seperate note if your car's coming with sat nav ensure the eject button's unlocked - I got home and found I couldn't use the CD player as the nav disc was locked inside head unit. Back to the dealers to unlock.

Karl
    Last edited by K4RL; 23rd November 2010 at 21:56.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Soot1e View Post
    The AMI option should come with 2 leads. One is an ipod and the other is a USB connector.
    Correctamundo!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    There are ipod, usb, mini usb, micro usb & 3.5 jack ami cables also there's a bluetooth adapter cable aswell that comes with a bluetooth dongle which assume is to stream music from another bT device.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

6th Gear

Status
    Cheers all.

I'm aware of the DVD eject issue as I had it with the current car but thanks for reminding me. Apparently they started locking them years ago as the discs were being stolen in transit over from Germany as they were obviously worth money on eBay.

What staggers me is why Audi don't simply lock the disc eject or display drop-down unless the ignition is on. Anyone who wants the disc to sell on only has to stick a brick through your window and press two buttons and hey presto. Surprises me this type of theft isn't more common.