AMI connector question

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Hi,

Am about to take delivery of my new car which comes with the AMI option, which I plan on using with an iPod. I've heard that there are actually several different connectors for the AMI and that you get one of your choice with the car from new, alternatives having to be purchased separately.

Firstly, is this the case? If so, then what types of connectors are there - is it a different one for each model of iPod or just a generic iPod one? If it's just a generic iPod one then what other connectors are there as I thought the AMI only worked with iPods?

If anyone can help quickly I'd be most grateful as I need to get in touch with the broker/dealer to get this detail right before delivery.

Thanks.

The AMI option should come with 2 leads. One is an ipod and the other is a USB connector. As you say there are other connectors available but these are pricey, I bought a mini jack plug lead so that I can use my Sony mp3 player and that was over £30 with discount. Leads were in short supply at dealers a few months ago but stocks have improved. When you take delivery make sure you get the pack with the leads.

Picked my car up 2 weeks ago & came with both leads inside sealed plastic bag. On a seperate note if your car's coming with sat nav ensure the eject button's unlocked - I got home and found I couldn't use the CD player as the nav disc was locked inside head unit. Back to the dealers to unlock.

Karl :greyrs4:

Last edited:
There are ipod, usb, mini usb, micro usb & 3.5 jack ami cables also there's a bluetooth adapter cable aswell that comes with a bluetooth dongle which assume is to stream music from another bT device.

Cheers all.

I'm aware of the DVD eject issue as I had it with the current car but thanks for reminding me. Apparently they started locking them years ago as the discs were being stolen in transit over from Germany as they were obviously worth money on eBay.

What staggers me is why Audi don't simply lock the disc eject or display drop-down unless the ignition is on. Anyone who wants the disc to sell on only has to stick a brick through your window and press two buttons and hey presto. Surprises me this type of theft isn't more common.