Boot light on dash and alarm going off please help!!? Driving me mad!!

marlowA3

Reaction score
Hi yesterday my boot light started flashing on/off all the time, then all night the car alarm has been going off and i have to keep opening the car then locking again, but it only goes off again later on.
Does anyone have any ideas to what is causing this and what to do to solve this?

Thanks Mark

hello marlow
when i had my first golf r32 i had the exact same problem. golfs/a3's have this same problem the rear wiper washer leaks into the locking mechnixsm and causes it to malfunction. what i need was put some secflex (tigerseal) around the washer pipe were it was leaking and worked fine again :) give it a whirl and see if it leaking

Can't believe that Audi still have this problem.

Marnie is spot on with the advice, had this on every VAG car I've owned, you would think over the last decade they would have sorted it out.

yeah surely when you make something new you make it to improve on previous models? madness

yes you need to take of the tailgaite plastics > then find the wahser water pipe > then seal it up or whatever you deem best > then what i did was put it all back togeather then blow out all the electrical components like the boot lock and the lock in the boot with a airline and electrical (wd40) grease them and then your done :)

I done all that i couldn't really see much water, it must have just built over time,
Driven for about 15mins and touch wood it aint come back on so i'm hoping for the best now!
Cheers for the help

Spoke too soon after about a hour my alarm was going off again, n i've had to lock car with the key to stop the alarm going off all night!
and also now the rear wyper has stopped working any ideas anyone?
Thanks Mark

Check the boot lock hasnt got corroded or something, if dis/boot light shows boot open, but its shut then its the microswitch in the lock thats gone faulty probably from water ingress from the said wiper pipe issue.

Reactions: killa kombo
I had it all off today its not corroded, Yeah it keeps showing up as open on dash which keeps settin alarm off, Microswitch? there a way of cleaning that etc? or need a new one?

Ah so its the boot switch then, take it out, apart & check inside the lock mate specifically the pcb thats got the microswitch on.

Yeah in the lock which is in the bootlid & printed circuit board.

Certainly wd40 helps the door microswitches most times but they're usually due to grime not water so much, so give it a whirl, shouldnt make it worse, but if its water then culd of caused damage to the pcb itself.

lol WD40 everything that way it will lubricate any electrical components and the closing parts, its basically a faulty boot switch. the rear wiper washer leaks into the boot lock causing it play tricks therefore making your DIS say boot open and then your alarm playing up.... just go over the boot lock carefully and clean it propper :) should be ok

I took it all apart again here is what i'm looking at, is there any bit inpacticular that needs doing or just generally any?
24112010420.jpg

24112010419.jpg

24112010418.jpg

Ye 1st pic top center of the boot lid, the lock latch, check that as the microswitch should be inside this or linked to that.

there you go alls you need to do now is make sure it dosent happen again by sealing up any leaks from the washer pipe :)

May need to strip it down to get it completely dry, alternatively stick it on the rad for few hours or overnight if you can lock the car up somewhere.

mine was also doing this, however i sprayed it with wd40 last night and it has not done it since (touch wood).

How ever my rear wiper still wont work, is that the fuse or is it fcuked?

Stick a multimeter on the wires & test standing & with rear wiper activation.

NHN i dont really know you personally but i see your posts on here and you seem like the "audi a3" yoda :D

Nah mate, just many bits & bobs done on the 8P for myself & others, but there are many on here with vast knowledge on many different cars & jobs, but I appreciate the words.

The force is strong with this one. :p

indeed hehe maybe u can guide me with something then i have 55 reg a3 sline with sport front and rear bumpers... got new bumpers being delivered tommoz ... will i need anything edited for them to fit or is it old bumpers off and and new bumpers on? also will my front grille fit in my new s line bumper? thanks

Search the site 1st fella, if no good then start a new thread cause been discussed to death & this is the wrong thread for it, not being funny but this site is becoming fragmented all the time with threads discussing 20 different things.

Have you tryed taking the cover plate off the wiper motor gearbox (where the washer pipe attaches to)?
Mine leaked water and siezed the linkage in the gearbox. A bit of penetrating fluid and some silicon
grease soon had the wiper working again.

This problems just started with me! Rear wiper has a mind of its own also! Hopefully this is all linked.

Thanks for the thread and solution! NHN as always coming through!

Ill get out in the snow later and get it sorted out, i still have to check the microswitches on my drivers door also!

Out of interest, I discovered that the brass tube inside my wiper mech had decided fall to pieces meaning it was spewing washer fluid all over the inside of the boot. I've not had any issues with the alarm or boot sensor (touch wood) yet. I managed to catch it just after it broke, maybe 2 attempts to use the rear washer. Do you think some of these problems will manifest?
There was still quite a lot of washer fluid came out of the boot latch, luckily a strong mix so it won't freeze up.

Also can the Bosch wiper mech's be used as a straight swap for the Valeo part?

TIA,
Scott

This has happened on my car today.
Had to leave my car unlocked going into work as the alarm wouldnt stop!
Do you need to remove the lock to dry it?

Cheers