Badger5Chris Nott
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Boot light on dash and alarm going off please help!!? Driving me mad!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Starting Saturday my wiper would never stop. Today the boot was indicating open and the alarm was going off intermittently. Was exactly this issue - switch was in fact frozen up with water from a leaking motor.

latta1989 - you don't need to remove the lock. I used a small screwdriver to pop the microswitch connector off the top and just squirted it with some WD40. Seems to have done the trick for now.

The water on my motor is leaking out from around the silver lid. Does anyone know if it's possible to repair the leak within the motor? Or is it simply a case of replacing the whole unit?

Thanks for the great advice on this thread.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Had exact same problems as you Gareth.

Did drying the lock an cleaning with wd40 solve all the issues? Even wiper etc.

Is it obvious the bit to pop off?

Cheers

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth73 View Post
    Starting Saturday my wiper would never stop. Today the boot was indicating open and the alarm was going off intermittently. Was exactly this issue - switch was in fact frozen up with water from a leaking motor.

latta1989 - you don't need to remove the lock. I used a small screwdriver to pop the microswitch connector off the top and just squirted it with some WD40. Seems to have done the trick for now.

The water on my motor is leaking out from around the silver lid. Does anyone know if it's possible to repair the leak within the motor? Or is it simply a case of replacing the whole unit?

Thanks for the great advice on this thread.

Had this with mine last week and ended up replacing them both as i didnt want to risk thinking i had repaired it then only to find out with a wet car and ice on the inside that i hadnt,i am in the trade and it cost me 120inc vat for the new boot catch and the wiper motor,i might be wrong but i couldnt see how i could do an easy repair on it as mine was leaking where the plastic cover the pipe goes to was not sealing over the shaft,i found this out after second time of removing trim because first time i did it the pipe was off so just thought that was the cause

Reverse Gear

Status
    latta1989: WD40 only solved the boot catch/alarm problem. It is quite obvious when you look at the lock - it's the cable coming in at the top of the lock. The motor is still leaking and I just pulled the cable out to stop the wiper.

Picked up a new motor at the Audi dealer yesterday 98. Just need to get it fitted before I go away for Christmas, looks quite straight forward.

ste
    reverse gear

Status
    hi, had the same alarm/boot open prob with mine today. ive sprayed the boot catch wiv wd40 and touch wood its been ok. wiper works fine. i,l take the tailgate cover off and have a better look when the weather pics up! another audi hitch i think!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Had same problem, alarm going off with rear hatch being the cause, took tailgate cover off and washer pipe had come away slightly and washer fluid wet everything through, Dried it all off and used WD40 so fingers crossed now, its a reet laff putting that rear cover back on NOT.....

Reverse Gear

Status
    It would appear this is a problem on A6 Avants too!! Mine is doing the same thing, if I bang the boot in the area of the catch the lights go off only to come on again a cpl of secs later. Alarm going off in the night is a pain in the arse. I'll strip the boot lid down and have a butchers tomorrow evening. Thanks chaps, the power of the search function is strong!

6th Gear

Status
    Had this infernal issue "fixed" three times on my last car. Last time was literally two weeks before it went back!
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

Neutral

Status
    Also have a problem like this - wiper motor leaked and now I don't get the boot light on the dash and the actual boot light doesn't go on. Checked the switch and it looks pretty knackered - do i need to buy the whole book lock mechanism and the connector? If so anyone know the part numbers?

1st Gear

Status
    Ive noticed also that there is still a problem with something.

You know when you have the boot open and you lock the car the lights only flash when you shut the boot...well mine are now just flashing straight away when i lock the car as if the boot is already shut.

Fix for that????

ste
    reverse gear

Status
    you need to buy the complete lock. not sure of part number but would imagine your local dealer stock them as they sell millions each winter.

1st Gear

Status
    Just wondering how people sealed the washer pipe back on?
    I tried to use silicone but it appears to be leaking again :@!
    Best way to seal it all up?

Fossie

Status
    Take the union off the wiper - cut off the pipe connector - get some tubing that goes over the existing tubing and force it on. Fix with a tie wrap.

Push the other end onto the wiper motor inlet and tie wrap on.

Voila !!

This was the only way I could make it waterproof. Once the connectors have 'spread' with ice etc. they don't fit properly.

Make sure the washer jets are not blocked and there's somewhere for the water to get out !!!!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    got the same problem on my a3, 2004 2.0tdi. The boot clearly locks but i dont think the sensor knows this and says the boot is still open. I cant lock the car as the alarm just keeps going off. Is there a way to lock all the doors but without the alarm being set? this would be ideal just now since its late on a saturday and no garages are open til monday.

Thanks.

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by boxocube View Post
    got the same problem on my a3, 2004 2.0tdi. The boot clearly locks but i dont think the sensor knows this and says the boot is still open. I cant lock the car as the alarm just keeps going off. Is there a way to lock all the doors but without the alarm being set? this would be ideal just now since its late on a saturday and no garages are open til monday.

Thanks.
    Canny simple fix mate, did mine in 20 minutes.

You need to take out the boot lock and dry it up, focusing on the microswitch (part that tells the car that the boots open/closed).

Open the boot and take out the surrounding trim from the boot lid, take off the lock, only held on by 2 bolts iirc. Take it inside and blast it with the hairdryer then give it a spray of WD40.

Job done

Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro

Reverse Gear

Status
    cheers jb0o, i just went for another quick fix that nobody has mentioned for now. I took the fuse out for the alarm system and locked the doors, the deadlocking is still on and the central locking works the same, just now alarm. l'll give your quick fix a wee try tomorrow. Defo need it sorted properly though as the rear window is misting up which would suggest the rear washer is leaking.

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by boxocube View Post
    cheers jb0o, i just went for another quick fix that nobody has mentioned for now. I took the fuse out for the alarm system and locked the doors, the deadlocking is still on and the central locking works the same, just now alarm. l'll give your quick fix a wee try tomorrow. Defo need it sorted properly though as the rear window is misting up which would suggest the rear washer is leaking.
    Wish I had thought of that at 3am when mine started going off lmao.

Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro

Fossie

Status
    When I had the problem, and after I had not only dried the microswitch but actuall removed it from the lock and wd40'd it, it all went back and everything worked (locking wise )

Alarm still went off and I noticed the boot light was flickering on and off as well !

Guess what the problem was ???

1st Gear

Status

1st Gear

Status
    I had to put a bonnet lock on a friends A4 because the bonnet was showing as open and the indicators didnt flash when locking, i fitted a new lock to it and that seemed to cure the problem...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Happened to mine today on a3fsi.could it be coz of ice as only stated when freezing cold out

Reverse Gear

Status
    This started happening to my car, first the rear wiper wouldn't work or would work intermittently, then Saturday morning my alarm started going off, i only noticed the light on my dash later in the day. After looking for a solution i came across this thread and it was very useful so thank you to all of those who had posted with help and tips. I took the plastic cover off of the boot as shown in the pictures. I noticed that around the book lock, one of the connections was covered in a green corroded looking liquid. After cleaning it off and spraying it with WD40 it hasn't happened since, as well as my rear wiper started working again. Touch wood this has solved the problem of my alarm.

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Radford212 View Post
    This started happening to my car, first the rear wiper wouldn't work or would work intermittently, then Saturday morning my alarm started going off, i only noticed the light on my dash later in the day. After looking for a solution i came across this thread and it was very useful so thank you to all of those who had posted with help and tips. I took the plastic cover off of the boot as shown in the pictures. I noticed that around the book lock, one of the connections was covered in a green corroded looking liquid. After cleaning it off and spraying it with WD40 it hasn't happened since, as well as my rear wiper started working again. Touch wood this has solved the problem of my alarm.
    Glad you got the alarm sorted.

You will need to replace the wiper motor with the latest version to solve the problem completely.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike foster View Post
    Glad you got the alarm sorted.

You will need to replace the wiper motor with the latest version to solve the problem completely.
    Okay thanks, I'll keep that in mind for a later date. Is it an easy part to get a hold of or do i need to go to Audi directly?

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Radford212 View Post
    Okay thanks, I'll keep that in mind for a later date. Is it an easy part to get a hold of or do i need to go to Audi directly?
    Don't buy from ebay because there are loads on there that will not fit. You don't say what year your car is but I'm guessing '04 - '07

Various places may have them and it will cost between £90 - £110. Fitting is dead easy once you get the arm off.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Don't buy from ebay because there are loads on there that will not fit. You don't say what year your car is but I'm guessing '04 - '07

Various places may have them and it will cost between £90 - £110. Fitting is dead easy once you get the arm off.
    Sorry, My car is '06. Okay thanks that's great, assuming there's a thread with instructions on that i could look at for guidance?

Fossie

Status
    Just searched and found these threads :- http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/search....archid=2637879

Look at the ones with the most replies/views and one of them will have instructions.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Just searched and found these threads :- http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/search....archid=2637879

Look at the ones with the most replies and one of them will have instructions.
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Now I can start to think about modding

Neutral

Status
    With everyone having these same issues.. Wouldn't it be best just to disconnect the water feed from its source if possible.. I've never needed the water for the rear

Neutral

Status
    My wiper worked fine yesterday apart from no water coming out.. Thought I would check the state of the inside of the motor and ended up like this

Haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12