Xenon issues

estwing

Reaction score
Right, i have the s3 headlights fitted to my a3 but there is a issue.

Turned them on for the first time tonight, and they are poor. They are really dim, plus they dont send any light on the road.

Does any1 know what the problem is? fuse? or is there more to it?

Care to elaborate a bit like were these retrofitted or on car from new?

they have been fitted when the car was made to be a s3 replica

the light on the dashboard is telling me that i have lights out, both main beams dont work, and now when i have put my dipped on tonight my lights are really really dim, especially considering they are xenon

does this sound like a big job?

Without knowing the car cant say for sure, certainly hasnt been wired properly by sounds of it.

hmmm, well i am taking it in to get the alarm checked this week so i will get them to look at that aswell.

the side lights work fine, just the xenon (projectors) and the main beam.

Well it isnt plugnplay with headlights, wiring has to be changed & modules changed/added to make things work along with actually coding the car for these options.

sounds like theyve just been plugged in not wired in with the auto levelling system and modules to me, this is why you do a conversion properly and why mine took so long ;)

I find my xenons (genuine Audi) to be not that great, they don't seem to have the sharp brightness of those on the newer TT/A5s etc.

I find my xenons (genuine Audi) to be not that great, they don't seem to have the sharp brightness of those on the newer TT/A5s etc.

Newer lights are going to be brighter than older ones....plus the S5's and other newer models have 6000K bulbs, hense why they look a bit crisper and give off more light

Try changing the bulbs over to some fresh ones, and maybe consider getting a better colour such as 6000K. Takes away the yellow tint from the standard xenons and also gives you a better view of the road

I actually have 8000K which gives a slightly blue tint, but really lights up the road at night

Given the 8P is now 7 years old, the xenons are same, the bixenons are 4-5 years old, even the current drl led style is now 3-4 years old, along with developement aswell probably thought up & agreed to use a certain part long before release, newer cars obviously have newer tech therefore its more than possible this is the reason why they're better.

Given the 8P is now 7 years old, the xenons are same, the bixenons are 4-5 years old, even the current drl led style is now 3-4 years old, along with developement aswell probably thought up & agreed to use a certain part long before release, newer cars obviously have newer tech therefore its more than possible this is the reason why they're better.

There's an echo in here ;)

Newer lights are going to be brighter than older ones....plus the S5's and other newer models have 6000K bulbs, hense why they look a bit crisper and give off more light

Try changing the bulbs over to some fresh ones, and maybe consider getting a better colour such as 6000K. Takes away the yellow tint from the standard xenons and also gives you a better view of the road

I actually have 8000K which gives a slightly blue tint, but really lights up the road at night

Yea I may try some new bulbs at some point BUT the lights came off a low mileage S3 (they're the late bi-xenon units and from a 2007 car). I would say a friend's mk4 Golf R32 look "crisper". My brother's '53 A4 which has the factory projector headlighs but an aftermarket HID kit fitted has really bright , crisp looking lights. It's almost as though the projector in the A3 headlight is too opaque.

Hang on
I have xenons on my 07 tdi quattro and love them, what would be the standard rated buldb for that? 6000K? can i get better ones than that, if so where and how much?

theyre the ones that nod up and down when you start up, self leveling.

Hang on
I have xenons on my 07 tdi quattro and love them, what would be the standard rated buldb for that? 6000K? can i get better ones than that, if so where and how much?

theyre the ones that nod up and down when you start up, self leveling.

I'd imagine the factory fitted ones are 4300K, the later 09 models seem to have 6000K from what i can tell

So i'd get some 6000K, maybe some 8000K if you feel daring

My bi xenons came from a 2007 S3 also, and the uprated bulbs are much better

eBay is your best bet, i think the bulbs are D1S for mine, so should be the same for yours

cheers, didnt know that!

Adaptive xenons are the one that turn with the wheels?

are mine called Bi xenons or is there a difference between xenons and bi xenons?

cheers, didnt know that!

Adaptive xenons are the one that turn with the wheels?

are mine called Bi xenons or is there a difference between xenons and bi xenons?

3 types of xenon from Audi:

1) Xenon headlights - the dipped beam is xenon, the full beam is regular halogen bulb
2) Bi-xenon - both dipped beam and full beam are xenon
3) Adaptive bi-xenon - both dipped and full beam are xenon, and the lights move as you turn the steering wheel

i have also found out today, well just, that when the headlights are switched off the main beam will not work at all.

When i switch the lights on, only the passenger side main beam works. There is a local audi,bmw etc serivce centre, is it worth taking the car there to get coded etc?

It needs rewiring properly along with coding & maybe other modules, where abouts are you as I do these jobs for people.

i am in sthelens, merseyside

dont suppose that is anywere near you is it?

also where is the fusebox for the windscreen wipers etc? i am useless at this stuff?

Anywhere is possible tbh, all comes down to time & money, this kinda job aint a quick fix usually, PM if interested.

need these fixing before crimbo really, driving at night is a must !

right,

i have been playing with the xenon headlights tonight while its been dark

i have now noticed that they do spread abit of light over the road, i just think the bulbs are dim, like they are on there way out.

so the question i have now is........... do you think they still need to be programmed for the car, or do you think i need new bulbs?

the drivers side main beam does not work at all, and the passenger side main beam only works when the headlights are on. None of them work when the headlights are off (during the day)

so what the problem, the wiring, the programming or the bulbs?

please help!!!

No, they need programming, wiring & probably manually directing aswell which is what we've discussed to do for you iirc.

I had a guy round a while back. He had fitted OEM Xenons and the were like disco lights LOL. I used VCDS to tell the car they are there & everything worked perfect - saved him driving back with fog lights on instead LOL.

BTW, Nigel, whats the channel in the CE for Bi-xenon? I've got bog standard CE but it seems to have conflicting options for xenons. There is one for xenons and xenons (non shuttered) - Bi-xenon

Surely shuttered are bi-xenon but my module doesnt support them??

thats one of my biggest confusions atm too i think its the reason why i cant get my adaptives to code

I've been looking over the wiring for such things. Im sure the adaptives are wired different to bi-xenons as well as being a different leveling module.

im not retroing adaptive im faclifting from 08 adaptives to 10 adaptives mate, wiring is the same afaik

*goes and double checks*

im not retroing adaptive im faclifting from 08 adaptives to 10 adaptives mate, wiring is the same afaik

*goes and double checks*

Ah, sorry. Thought you were just fitting addaptives. I will take a look in my travels at the difference - doesnt the MY10 have a completely new CE module system? Maybe the buggers have moved things a bit?

No, they need programming, wiring & probably manually directing aswell which is what we've discussed to do for you iirc.

yes matey, i was just adding this info incase it was something else.

i hope you can fit me in soon as i really want these sorting. I look forward to hearing from you