rough alloys

pi quattro

Reaction score
any advice welcome

My alloys are clean, but when you run your finger along them they are rough. Looking closely they look kind of pitted with small black deposits.

I clean the car every week and go over wheels with bilberry (if they need it) maybe i should be doing them more often

tried using a brush on them today and neat bilberry but still feel rough.

I have heard that this "baked on" brake dust can be terminal but would like to know your ideas on the next move?

Thought about claying, super resin polish or tar remover??

Thank in advance

tbh its more than likely a product has affected the clear on your alloys. ( Im a sprayer ) what alloys are they have they been refurbed or are they from factory?

they are factory s lines alloys. I think they are refered to as RS6 style. The ones on s lines from 03 onto 07/8.

Bought car from audi dealer. I know that they sprayed the bumpers, so i suppose they might have refurbed the alloys. They were totally mint.

They werent always rough like this. I think that it is baked on brake dust. I didnt always use bilberry on them as in a hurry.

TBH mate break dust can never really bake on as such unless the alloys have recently been refurbed as it actually takes clear about 3 weeks to fully harden. It is possible that audi refurbed the alloys quickly and replaced them on the car. If this is the case it would have taken the clear longer to harden and dust would have dried into softer clear. Unlikely this is the case although. Try clay them and use a cutting compound by hand to try smooth them out a bit. I would advise farcela g3 and finish them with something to protect it after

cool, got car last april and this is only a relatively recent development so unlikely that clear coat was soft.

I had covered them in real quality wax about two months ago (angel wax)

I tried SRP on them today but didnt make much difference

haven't used clay before or anything tougher than SRP so might test on the wifes punto first HeHe

OR it could be tar. Been on some newly laid roads lately? You can get some tar remover for arounf £5 spray on and watch it dribble off! Good stuff.

top idea!!

the road out of my town had just been resurfaced!!! i run over it twice a day. I never clicked.
i have Autoglym tar remover too

I'll let you know the results. Thanks

on another note - what does tbh mean. i know im gonna look stupid here

Ahhh got it
was going to ask about another one that bothered me yonks ago but i think ive just solved it-

in a car ad you sometmes see swap or "WHY"

maybe means "What Have You"??