Milltek Problem

chrissy1502002

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone on here has had a weld crack on their Milltek exhaust?

I bought my A3 with the Milltek already on the car so its not got a warranty as the warranty is only applicable to the original purchaser. The exhaust was fitted in July last year (09). One of the welds on the down pipe has cracked and is now blowing pretty badly and causing my EML light to come on :scared2:

I have E-Mailed Milltek to see what they say :sadlike:

So basically has anyone has similar problems, or got any advise on how to proceed? :ermm:

Great lol, I dont spose you know what they did do you?

A good friend is a welder by trade and has said if worse comes to worse he would take it off and re-weld it so there is always a bit of hope lol

Mines gone 4 times!!! 3 times the tail pipes have cracked on the very end, and once the resonated box the weld totally cracked all the way round where the pipe meets the box!! replaced under warranty all 4 times. So no probs there!

Mines gone 4 times!!! 3 times the tail pipes have cracked on the very end, and once the resonated box the weld totally cracked all the way round where the pipe meets the box!! replaced under warranty all 4 times. So no probs there!

Fingers crossed then lol, mine has cracked on the mounting on the downpipe where it bolts to the underside of the car.

My only worry is because I didnt originally purchase the exhaust, it was put on by the previous owner. However i do have all of the receipts to prove when it was purchased.

Just haveto await a reply to my email i sent on Friday

I cracked the bracket on the bottom of my front section and then destroyed the expansion part on the middle of it due to the amount of movement caused by the broken bracket.

I didn't buy the exhaust from new, I had no paperwork, and yet Milltek still said they would fix it for free.

Couldn't fault them for that.

Very Pleased.

I cracked the bracket on the bottom of my front section and then destroyed the expansion part on the middle of it due to the amount of movement caused by the broken bracket.

I didn't buy the exhaust from new, I had no paperwork, and yet Milltek still said they would fix it for free.

Couldn't fault them for that.

Very Pleased.

Thats the exact bracket that has cracked on mine lol.

Well ive just got off the phone with Milltek, and they are going to grab their sales manager and give me a cll back ASAP. At least its not a straight no :)

Just spoke to Lee at Milltek and have been told that they need the car to be inspected at JKM however if the exhaust is found to need a replacement part, they would not replace it and it would be down to me to cover the costs. They may help out if a repair can be carried out.

Can anyone advise me on were i stand legally as I dont feel that the downpipe/cat is fit for the purpose in whitch it was intended if it has broken in 16 months?

Any help will be great

Just wondering if anyone on here has had a weld crack on their Milltek exhaust?

One of the welds on the down pipe has cracked and is now blowing pretty badly and causing my EML light to come on :scared2:

No, get away!

Anyone would think they were being mass produced in China!

Fortunately their UK customer services seems fairly solid, but it seems as N8 says that they are no longer what they were.

Best of luck getting it sorted, 16 months for a stainless exhaust is not ideal.

If they decide that its not repairable and I have to have a new downpipe/cat, would you all think I would be right in thinking about taking Milltek through the small claims court due to the Stainless Stell exhaust, that comes to the original owner with a lifetime warranty, not being of merchandisable quality?

Surely a Stainless exhaust should last alot longer than 16 months?

i know this is going off the subject abit but what about getting a new exhaust?

i had a corsa sri a while ago (1.6turbo) and had a full system off blueflame. cost me about £350-£400 to have it all done but got good results on the rolling road but amazing results in the noise.

Have a look on youtube of my old system, sound super

If they decide that its not repairable and I have to have a new downpipe/cat, would you all think I would be right in thinking about taking Milltek through the small claims court due to the Stainless Stell exhaust, that comes to the original owner with a lifetime warranty, not being of merchandisable quality?

Surely a Stainless exhaust should last alot longer than 16 months?

I think any stainless steel exhaust is only warrantied to the original owner (you may need to read the terms & conditions of their sales patter on their website), some of which is this:

Q. Is my exhaust system covered by a guarantee or warranty?
A. As long as you are the original purchaser, cat-back exhaust systems are covered by a lifetime anti-corrosion and manufacturing defect warranty and hi-flow sports catalysts and downpipes are covered by a 2 year or 80,000km warranty. We do not cover against any modifications made to our product after it has left our factory and also not for unusual use of the parts - for example, the use of Nitrous Oxide (NOS), damage caused by going over a speed bump too fast etc. Our warranties are offered on the understanding that the cars power maybe increased by up to 33% from it's original specification. Modifications made to increase the power beyond this will render the warranty void.

We pride ourselves on our after-sales support and customer service and will look into each case on an individual basis.

All warranty cases should be dealt with by the Milltek appointed distributor from whom you purchased the system. However, if you are dissatisfied with the service of your distributor in response to your claim, you can contact us directly by emailing us at techsupport@millteksport.com.

Please note: Milltek Sport hi-flow sports catalysts are manufactured from the highest quality materials and built with maximum performance and longevity in mind. However, they are designed to work specifically in conjunction with other Milltek Sport products and should not be used on their own (with the OEM exhaust system) or with other manufacturers exhaust systems. If the Milltek catalysts are fitted with non-Milltek exhaust systems, we are unable to provide any guarantee regarding noise quality, fit, performance or warranty against their operation.

I wouldn't hold your breath, but when I got wind of this becoming a more regular issue I chose to take my business elsewhere and try something new. If they wont help you try either Pipewerx / BlueFlame / MV Sport / Scorpion / Jetex etc......

I had also my welds break on the bracket (twice) at the front of the car after the dp.

Had to have it welded, and pay for it as unfortunately Miltek isnt in Australia and well the hassles of contacting them, reimbursement and so forth would be useless and a time waste experience if you ask me.

Love the sound, love the quality, terrible welds and can see exactly why it snaps and 2 different exhaust shops have said the same thing to me along the lines of "not much to hold the exhaust weight with those small welds" ..

comments above, i take a lot of care and never scrubbed out underneath before.

Once again, sounds like something is coming loose this week so back to the shop again. If i had the option for pure no pain in the *** noises i would go something else next time around to be honest!

Cracks one more time im going to take the thing off honestly

Thats exactly what I had to have done, Milltek said they would re-weld it FOC but i had to remove the downpipe and send it to then, and Jim at JKM said he could do it for an hours labour. So I got him to repair it, and hats off to him, hes done an amazing job!

The reason they brake that weld is that the flexi pipe isnt really big enough, so it flexes the exhaust bracket

makes we wonder whether Milltek is the way forward... there are full TB Blueflame sytems for S3 on Ebay for £850! 200 cheaper than milli!

Apparently Milltek hae revised the DP and made it 3' instead of 2.75' and have put a larger flexi hose in to prevent this happening. However I dont think that I would buy another seeing as the quality seems to be going down the pan :(

strange had one on my cooper s for 30k not one issue... must be a recent thing..

After the after sales service that i received from Charlie at MT, I am sold on their products. Ok - so it shouldnt break in the first place, but when they "sort it" FOC, and when I say "sort" i mean "SORT", I think thats a great sign of good service and I respect that.

Yep, heard this so much over last couple years. Milltek cracking issues apparently due to company moving manufacturing to China. Check out details on Audi forum. Milltek exhaust welds don't last five minutes - they will usually fix foc but for the price I think they shouldn't crack in the first place? It's sad that a company like that sells out and ships manufacturing overseas to save money... Sign of the times I guess.