Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

S3 Mirror Covers.....I've an S3....without S3 mirror covers !

My S3 doesn't have the aluminium look mirror covers which leads me to think one of four possible options:

• They were nicked and the previous owner put normal mirror covers on
      The previous owner put normal covers on so as to make it less obvious its an S3 (no badge on back either ... may have been worried about it being targeted and nicked)
      They were sh4gged so the previous owner put standard covers on
      The person who bought the car spec'd it without the covers

Im quite keen to put the proper article back on - there are a couple listed on fleabay at the moment and from my searches it looks like a reasonably easy job.

I guess I'll never really know what happened .... I'm assuming any person buying a new S3 could request "shiney mirror deletion" if they wished?????
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S3 8P 2007, Silver, 19" BBS CH, Short Shift Kit, KW Variant 3's, Pioneer AVIC-920BT head unit, Bose.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    i dont think people will spec theyre new s3 without the costly extra that comes with it unless they were getting money off it

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Russo2k5 View Post
    i dont think people will spec theyre new s3 without the costly extra that comes with it unless they were getting money off it
    Good point... unlikely that someone would.... but possible though
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S3 8P 2007, Silver, 19" BBS CH, Short Shift Kit, KW Variant 3's, Pioneer AVIC-920BT head unit, Bose.

6th Gear

Status
    You can't spec it without the mirrors - Audi just won't do it.

I remember seeing a brand new black RS4 with the black optic pack in the dealer a few years back having the silver mirrors replaced for black ones because they refused to do it at the factory.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post
    You can't spec it without the mirrors - Audi just won't do it.

I remember seeing a brand new black RS4 with the black optic pack in the dealer a few years back having the silver mirrors replaced for black ones because they refused to do it at the factory.
    Even more unlikely it was done from new then .....

1st Gear

Status
    Maybe just a matter of personal taste, if I bought an S3 it would be the very first thing I changed, not to my taste at all.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrix View Post
    Maybe just a matter of personal taste, if I bought an S3 it would be the very first thing I changed, not to my taste at all.
    Yeah seems to suit certain colours better, pointless on silver cars! looks good on black and sprint blue but weird on yellow and especially odd looking on white cars, even more so of the white cars have the black optics pack
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_R View Post
    Yeah seems to suit certain colours better, pointless on silver cars! looks good on black and sprint blue but weird on yellow and especially odd looking on white cars, even more so of the white cars have the black optics pack
    I agree, colour of car is important & TBH, I prefer the wheel colour to match the mirrors within reason. Not sold on them on our Akoya coloured A3's Lee :-)
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

3rd Gear

Status
    I must admit I talked about it with my dealer, I am not that keen on silver covers on my mirrors on my BE version, and the dealer would change them but it was gonna cost me more, so I left them, from a resale point though I guess you would lose money on non silver mirrors on an S3

Never satisfied

Status
    One thing that i always find amazing, is that there are still people selling them on eBay.. but when you look at there history they generally never sell any other car parts.
    Yet they happen to come across a set of S3 mirrors , strange that.

Let's face it all S3 mirrors on ebay unless from a breaker or the actual owner are stolen.
    The reason your car does not have them on is just that at some point they where either stolen and the owner thought better than to replace them, or he took them off and sold
    them.

As pointed out you can not factory remove them.

If i had a pound for every time a forum member reported there mirrors being nicked , well i would have a few pounds !

If i get my hands on another S3 , i have always said that i will have the mirrors engraved with the following

STOLEN FROM
    CAR REG NO

The new buyer can then simply contact the police with the reg number, unless they are also so shady they would keep them.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    ive a set of mirrors, pm me with an offer, mine are surpluss to needs after a facelift with new parts so just looking to claw as much back as possible

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

S3 (8P)

Status
    The silver mirrors are a signature of the S3, IMO no S3 should be without them.
    Just like the soft clutch

Cant help but think a large percentage of these S3 mirrors (and other parts) are knock off.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....