Question About Xenons - Keep getting flashed.....and not in a good way !!

haywoon

Reaction score
Website
www.944virgin.com
I have factory fit Xenons on my S3 and when driving at night I'm getting flashed by some oncomming cars as if my lights are on high beam.

Initially I thought it was people flashing to say wow look at that gorgeous man in that amazing S3....but then I looked in the mirror and concluded that cant be the case......

The car went through MOT in Sept with no advisories - the beam isnt pointing into the sky, but I think it might be a gnats knacker too high.

Would any form of diagnostic system pick up a fault at all?

Can xenons be adjusted? I thought they were auto adjusted by the ballasts fitted? Assume the sensor can go t1ts after a while and need replaced maybe?

The car is lowered - maybe that has sommat to do with it????

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

:laugh: lights need put into learning mode via vagcom and then readjusted due to the lowering mate

if youre in vagcom the procedure is 55.Xenon Range > Basic Settings > Group 001 and hit go, readjust the height and then exit vagcom and youre done. happy motoring

You'll find people just find them too bright & assume you have your main beam on. Flash them back LOL

Nice one - cheers for that.....

I'll do some Vagcom research next....My mates lad has got VAGCOM I think....I bet he'll have a look at it for me for a couple of cans of white lightning or what ever it is the yuuuuufs drink today....

I noticed you have coils fitted; when I fitted the H&R springs I had to get my lights re-adjusted on a light box and again after I fitted my PSS10s. First time I took it to Audi as it was in warranty, the second time I took it to a mates garage and did it there. I know that others who have lowered their '3 have had to do the same.

I noticed you have coils fitted; when I fitted the H&R springs I had to get my lights re-adjusted on a light box and again after I fitted my PSS10s. First time I took it to Audi as it was in warranty, the second time I took it to a mates garage and did it there. I know that others who have lowered their '3 have had to do the same.

Cheers mate.....

Nice one - cheers for that.....

I'll do some Vagcom research next....My mates lad has got VAGCOM I think....I bet he'll have a look at it for me for a couple of cans of white lightning or what ever it is the yuuuuufs drink today....

sounds like a plan give me a shout if you get confused but follow what i put down there and you cant go wrong

Just in the hope that I might learn something.

How does lowering the car affect the angle of the headlight, surely they would be the same angle just a bit lower which would make the beam hit the ground just a bit nearer the car??

Just in the hope that I might learn something.

How does lowering the car affect the angle of the headlight, surely they would be the same angle just a bit lower which would make the beam hit the ground just a bit nearer the car??

that's what i was thinking

at a guess i'd imagine that because the car won't necessarily be levelled exactly 30mm or 40mm or whatever at each corner (deliberately or otherwise) the auto levellers try to adjust and point the beam upwards inappropriately

Been to a good mechanic I know - no requirement for VAGCOM on this occasion - just a few manual adjustments required on the headlights whilst pointed at the MOT testing device and perfecto.....no more peeing off oncoming drivers

as long as they dont readjust cant remember if they do or not

****** hell I hope not !!! Mind you, he isnt far away from me so if they do, I'll ask them to do the VAG-COM option ..... its one of those awkward situations where you dont want to be seen to be telling someone how to do their job LOL !!

haha aye if it adjusts back say you looked into it and print off the procedure from the rosstech wiki theyll be thankfull that youve had a look and as its ross tech not your instructions you aint telling them ;)