wobbly rev needle and periodic revving up to 2000 revs. diagnosis please!

S80DDE

Reaction score
hi all,

as specified in the title my 56 plate S3 has a rev counter wobble when idling of around 800-1200 revs and then periodically whilst idling the rev counter will go up to 2000 then back down. The emissions system warning light is constantly on now too. Car drives normally other than this, any ideas of the problem and how much it will cost to fix?

thanks in advance

My emissions light comes on now and then and my rev needle dips up and down so any ideas id like to know as well. Mines been on a diagnostics before and didnt have a fault

Hi There Comunitee...

My 08 S3 8P is having the same issue as mentioned above... The rev needle fishes between 800 & 1200 and from time to time goes all the way up to to 2000 RPM... When the engine does this though the cars Temp rises as well from 90 - 110 deg.

I have noticed though that when the Digital Designs 15" hits at high volume that the car idleas steady at 800 RPM :sos: - Then the Temp goes back to 90 deg and as soon as the Bass stops then the problem starts again...

Seems almost like something is stuck and the Bass loosens it up??

Has anyone found a Solid fix for this on the S3's... Audi dealers seem to be clue / useless.

Some reported fixes I have come accross:

Intake Controller Needs to be replaced
"Rear" Fuel filter needs to be changed as dealers seldom do...
Fuel Sensor replaced (06E 906 051 K) - Thnx cooni

Is there any other reported fixes for the S3 guys??

I have read that some guys have a stutter above 5000RPM - I had that but after changing the plugs it was resolved - Cars running mapped software and WMI needs to change plugs every 10 000 Km... Depending on the Quality of the Plug IIRC :think:

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: