Blocked / Faulty Washer Jets

Roady

Reaction score
Website
www.roady.co.uk
Got my 06 plate in June and have a blocked front washer (1/4) and nothing at all from the rears...

I'm guessing the front is just blocked but have encountered a rear pipe coming off the jets before in a tailgate (focus) - how do i get inside it to see? No obvious way! :eek:

The fronts are just clipped in so can be pulled off easily

For the rear the cap over the washer bit just pulls off. Mine was blocked with gunk.

To access the inside of the boot itself you need to undo the screws in the grab handles and then pull the trim off. Ideally I'd get something like a flat head screwdriver in between the trim and the tailgate to lever off the clips as they are pretty tough to pull off. Start in one corner and work your way around

I've had the same problem with my rear washer. It was blocked when I bought it second hand and it has blocked again during my time of ownership.

Once I removed the panel I was able to mess around with the pipes and clear any blockage. I just don't seem to have a better understanding of what is causing it. Limescale maybe??

I've got a huge plastic cover on the front of mine that covers the front jets, it's below the front wipers and there doesn't appear to be an easy way of removing it without taking the wipers off?!

You are right, you have to take the wipers off first to get to them, make sure it's put back on correctly as you could cause a leak when it rains etc

I've got a huge plastic cover on the front of mine that covers the front jets, it's below the front wipers and there doesn't appear to be an easy way of removing it without taking the wipers off?!

Mines on 08 car so not sure if they are different but I just inserted a flat head screw driver and levered them up off the scuttle panel. No need to remove the wipers; just ensure they are in the service position

Thanks guys, i'll have another look in the morning as i'm off work before a long trip in the afternoon! Rear washer is the most important! (front probably just needs a poke!) :)

Just get a needle & some wd40 at first as they get gunked up, worked for me on both my 8P's, if doesnt work then as said rear panel of as these tend to pop the feed pipes of aswell.

The rear on mine was blocked and took 2 mins to clear. Remove the cap covering the jet, the jet then pulls off which can then be cleaned.

I've poked and prodded with a needle several times and today finally got the right bit (and the time) to undo the boot handle's to get the cover off...

The pipe appears connected (see image) and there's no sign of any moisture inside the boot lid... i've traced the corrigated pipe (which is assume is the water) back to the hinge and there's no marks/breaks or anything on it. Any other suggestions? Where abouts does it enter the engine bay and where is the pump situated so i can check connections there?

Am i right in thinking the same water pump is for the front and rear - so the fact my fronts work and not my rears mean it's a blockage/damaged/unplugged pipe as opposed to a faulty pump?

rearboot-lidoff-washerprobs.jpg

Did you actually test the water feed as in remove the pipe of the jet part & leave it hanging then activate the rear water wash jet, see if water actually comes out.

Ok so need to check the feed back down the line then mate, hold on have you actually confirmed the fronts work aswell as doesnt look like you have, need to undo the feed to one of these front jets & activate it & see if water comes out, if not then leads me to the pump, pipes, wiring, fuse, relay etc.

He said above the fronts are ok Nigel so its unlikey to be the filter in the rubber grommet.

IIRC, isnt there a joint for the pipe down at the driver footwell under the arch carpet? Its not too hard to unclip the trim & pull the carpet back.

Ah yes just seen that part of the post, dont know how I missed it, then its from boot lid forwards then.

Yup from there forwards! I need to find where the pipes join, or where they plug into the water pump and i've no idea what i'm looking for lol :)

I think if you follow that pipe back you may find the issue, I suspect a split pipe in engine bay or a pipes come of.

Anyone else have any input or any pointers where to look? I've no idea what a water pump looks like in an engine! Lol :)

Hmmm ok, don't think i'm anywhere near skilled/experienced enough to take my bumper off (yet) as i don't have half the equipment a garage does!? Any other pointers/ideas? Having a filthy rear window is doing my head in this time of year! :(

Has anyone noticed that MY11 A3's windscreen washers have 3 streams per washer as opposed to the 2 per side? (6 in total)

Yeah someone has mentioned the 3 streams before, however the fanned version is allot better from the passat, of which I use.

I had to borrow a car as I had not got my winter tyres on yet at the time and it was a new shape Astra, this had the fanned washers. But at -14c and with a windchill factor on the motorway, by the time the fluid hit the screen it was frozen and bouncing off the windscreen! I had to have the heating full blast on the screen to melt some of the iced droplets so I could see where I was going. I might see if the MY11 system will fit my SB as my screen is coming off anyway.

I have to say I was also impressed with the Bose system in that MY11 A3 and the additional menus in the DIS...

i thought that the 3 streams have been on a3's for a few years i cleaned a 08 plate the other day that had 3 streams , nige is it hard to fit the fan's off the passat they work much better than my 2 streams lol

Easy to fit, although you may have to extend one pair of wires for the one side as little short, but easy enough, I do find they move a little bit in the plenum chamber cutouts, but others are happy with as is, however I stuck one in with sealant so its in place as such & wont rattle.

Yeah, pay someone else to do it :p

Not quite the 'solution' i had in mind! :p

Knufu - have you got any more information about the pipe/join in the drivers footwell?

Anyone able to take a picture of their engine bay and point me in the right direction of the pipes that goto the water pump?