Winter tyres?

remslie20

Reaction score
Looking at putting some winter tyres on with some narrower steel wheels. I have an a3 S/B 140 s-line tdi and it's absolutely sh*t in the slush/snow. Just wondering if it would be safe enough just to put them on the front and leave the normail tyres which are michelan SP3 fitted a couple of months back so plenty of tread or is it advisable to fit four winters? Just wondering as they're not the cheapest!

Any winter tyre recomendations?

from google search:
"Putting just two snow tires on your car is a bad idea. If you have a front-wheel-drive car and put snow tires on the front only, the back wheels won't have anywhere near as much grip as the front wheels. This will make the car much more likely to spin out while braking or cornering. Likewise, if you put snow tires on the just back wheels of a rear-wheel-drive car, the wheels that do the steering won't grip as well as those that provide the power, so the car may not respond when the steering wheel is turned -- it will simply plow straight ahead. Always install snow tires as a full set of four"

My local dealer once showed me a vid of the effects of swapping rears to the front of a FWD and contrary to what I'd always told it's not advised as the lack of rear grip will make the car quite unstable under heavy braking conditions and cornering.

I feel your pain on the tyre prices as I was planning on fitting 4x Nokian WrG2's to mine until the prices went up 20% last month, had been told prices would have dropped by now as the market gets flooded with winter tyres but so far not the case.

I've just bought 4 Continental TS810 S for the S3 - not the cheapest, but good reviews. Vredestien Wintrac Extreme also get good reviews and are slightly cheaper.

There are a lot of cheaper brands( some of which may be really good ) if you go onto a site like www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk and search for your size and type Winter