My S3 & Future Plans....

you saved £400 on your install, but if there's an issue and it doesn't work how much of that £400 could potentially be spent trying to fix the problem? even if they fix it for free, you have to travel to and from the installer which is petrol money and your time. i value my time at around £40 an hour because that's what i could get paid doing overtime work, so a few trips to and from them trying to sort different issues and trying to help them find a solution and very quickly it might not be worth it anymore.

I have the AMI in the glove box, as well as a multi CD player.

I do agree the oem is lacking in many ways, but as others said it just works with everything in the car including the steering wheel.

TBH if you add the cost of adding a third party, all the wiring, and adapters for it to work with steering, I would just get a original blue tooth, and ami, and multi cd player, there are companies out there that will fit all this and code it.

Tough call though, there are some very nice third party units out there now days.

I debated which 1 to buy for months go for before i bought the pioneer... and even after i was still thinking if i had made a mistake. but in the end it does everything i need and IMO i think it looks ok. and yes OEM is still very back dated... i mean how hard is it to fit a touch screen and get of buttons???

be good to have a pic so we can see what it looks like

il try and get a pic for you... don't have one yet.

+1

I'd be interested actually, as if I knew I could get the whole thing in and working (without the popping) then I wouldn't have hesitated, the Pioneer offers far superior sound quality to the Audi HUs and much more technology in the unit itself.

Come the time to sell up, you just popp your original HU back in the car, I can't see how that would affect re-sale value?

you saved £400 on your install, but if there's an issue and it doesn't work how much of that £400 could potentially be spent trying to fix the problem? even if they fix it for free, you have to travel to and from the installer which is petrol money and your time. i value my time at around £40 an hour because that's what i could get paid doing overtime work, so a few trips to and from them trying to sort different issues and trying to help them find a solution and very quickly it might not be worth it anymore.

yh fair point, i get what your saying now.

I installed the unit myself and took alot of help from this forum on all the possible issues that there could be, believe me i spent months wondering what i should get and if i went aftermarket what extras would i need. touch wood nothing has gone wrong yet and all is working fine.

so yh if i needed to pull it out i would do so myself and try and fix the issue myself. but for others its a good word of advice.

+1

I'd be interested actually, as if I knew I could get the whole thing in and working (without the popping) then I wouldn't have hesitated, the Pioneer offers far superior sound quality to the Audi HUs and much more technology in the unit itself.

Come the time to sell up, you just popp your original HU back in the car, I can't see how that would affect re-sale value?

and get it rescanned? that'll cost you something in time, travel money etc even if you got a fellow member to do it for you for free. RNS-E potentially adds value to your car. i'll probably leave it in come resale time so there's just less hassle involved in the whole process.

and get it rescanned? that'll cost you something in time, travel money etc even if you got a fellow member to do it for you for free. RNS-E potentially adds value to your car. i'll probably leave it in come resale time so there's just less hassle involved in the whole process.

Sub, I already have VCDS so no probs there either mate. I'm not hell bent on the fact the aftermarket is the way to go... just saying that i have done so and i am not regretting it. In the end its a matter of choice and personal preference...

believe me if the pioneer unit was to start popping i would probably rip it out and replace with the RNS-e. But it doesnt do anything stupid... in fact it just works the way its meant to. The bluetooth picks up perfectly and the ipod plays music and videos...

All im saying is that some people just are not satisfied with OEM units and decide to go aftermarket... there is nothing wrong with that.

True, there could be costs involved, but then there's no such thing as a free lunch. RNS-e, yep leave it in and you might get a few hundred quid more for your car, agreed. Pioneer unit, take it out, get less for your car, but you have a HU to slot into your next car or flog on ebay. Either way, it's all a matter of a few quid difference really.

I'm in no way suggesting the RNS-e is not the way forward, in fact I was so torn between having that or going aftermarket that I just haven't done anything because I couldn't decide either way. And for me, now there is a new car on the horizon, I'll be thinking about that more instead, the misses won't give a monkey's what HU I leave in the S3 for her!

Sub, I already have VCDS so no probs there either mate. I'm not hell bent on the fact the aftermarket is the way to go... just saying that i have done so and i am not regretting it. In the end its a matter of choice and personal preference...

believe me if the pioneer unit was to start popping i would probably rip it out and replace with the RNS-e. But it doesnt do anything stupid... in fact it just works the way its meant to. The bluetooth picks up perfectly and the ipod plays music and videos...

All im saying is that some people just are not satisfied with OEM units and decide to go aftermarket... there is nothing wrong with that.

And i'm not saying RNS-E is the best unit out there. It's a dinousaur. I just wish someone would make a unit with the functionality of the aftermarket ones, and the looks and integration of RNS-E.

And i'm not saying RNS-E is the best unit out there. It's a dinousaur. I just wish someone would make a unit with the functionality of the aftermarket ones, and the looks and integration of RNS-E.

RNSaurous rEx....??

If only mate! i think we would sell body parts for something like that :eyebrows:

Last edited:
I didn't have bluetooth, so it got retrofitted, for cheaper than £400. The RNS-E is win, because its OEM/factory looks like it belongs in the dash, all aftermarket headunits are FAIL imo because they stick out like a sore thumb:

And purple aftermarket wheels don't....?

he must do, purple wheels and interior pretty much screams look at me, and now he is getting what he wants ;)

N8 colour scheme is Quality...
bigpurple.jpg

Street

he must do, purple wheels and interior pretty much screams look at me, and now he is getting what he wants ;)

Right...

I wanted a retrim, as the front buckets were worn and the wrong colour black compared to the rears. Red would have worked with Akoya, as I loved my car when it was on red splits, but red leather is just so :puke: played out...

There is a purple tinge to Akoya, so Hayley my other half said "time for a purple retrim" when I got the RS4s, and I wanted the rims to match. So its not a case of "LOOK AT ME" even though its a bright colour, its more a case of what works with the car and my theme IMO.

I'm fully aware that its to NONE of your tastes and it doesn't need to be, all I know is....

2010 RNS FTW :moa: :readit: :ninja: :laugh:

Right...

I wanted a retrim, as the front buckets were worn and the wrong colour black compared to the rears. Red would have worked with Akoya, as I loved my car when it was on red splits, but red leather is just so :puke: played out...

There is a purple tinge to Akoya, so Hayley my other half said "time for a purple retrim" when I got the RS4s, and I wanted the rims to match. So its not a case of "LOOK AT ME" even though its a bright colour, its more a case of what works with the car and my theme IMO.

I'm fully aware that its to NONE of your tastes and it doesn't need to be, all I know is....

2010 RNS FTW :moa: :readit: :ninja: :laugh:

actually i like it, black stitching woulda looked better but as ive said before your car if youre happy im happy, just please no purple alcantra engine cover :laugh:

goes with the black cards headliner gaiter (or did you get that done purple?) etc