A3 2.0FSI Wheel Front Bearing

Maverick001

Reaction score
My car has started making a pretty loud rumbling / whirring noise at speeds over 30mm and the faster I get the louder the noise, its coming front one of the front wheels so I suspect it is a wheel bearing!

My question is...is this a hard part to fit myself, is it just a case of dropping the disk off and brake shield to access to bearing, undoing a few bolts and bobs your uncle or is it much more in depth? Money is pretty tight at the minute and a local garage want £100 for the bearing and then £120 to fit it which seems pretty steap!

Also I have been looking around and they seem to vary so much in price does anyone know the part number for this I have a 2003 A3 2.0FSI. Looking at images some seem to have a 3 hole fixing on the back and some a 4 hole fixing, what is it i need?

For that year EKTA lists the part as :-

Wheel bearing with mounting parts no. 1J0 498 625 priced at approx £76.

Don't know how long to fit - sorry.

Hi,

Is this the right part number for the 8P? Looking at other parts this seems to listed as fitting a Mk4 Golf or the A3 8L shape?

Sorry mate - you did say 2003 didn't you ? I think, if you have an 8P it must be 2004 model so I was looking at the wrong one.

Need your PR number to be definite but the part number for a 2004 model is :- 1T0 498 621

Unfortunately the cost from Audi is approx £160

Prices have gone up of late & it maybe nearer to £100 for the bearing, they were £80 odd before price hikes which have been substantial over the last year, also fitting the bearing for £120 is fair as they have to disconnect number of components & remove, reattach, test & also an alignment is advised.

Prices have gone up of late & it maybe nearer to £100 for the bearing, they were £80 odd before price hikes which have been substantial over the last year, also fitting the bearing for £120 is fair as they have to disconnect number of components & remove, reattach, test & also an alignment is advised.

£160 in ETKA Nige !

Thanks guys, Mike whats a PR number?

Is this a job I could do myself or is it pretty full on to do?

I have phoned GSF and they have 2 options equivelant to 1T0 498 621 one @ £48.50 + Vat and also one @ £63 + VAT, will these be useless for the price?

Thanks

Matt

PR number is the Audi code for which particular part or type of part is fitted to your actual car.

The PR numbers are listed on a sticker inside the front cover of your service book and and identical copy is located next to the spare wheel well under the boot floor.

The official part number that you want is dependent on the type of front brakes you have fitted on your car and in this case is likely to be 1Z?. The '?' is likely to be D, E, or F and, if it is, then that part number is correct.

I could not comment on the equivalent options you have been given but it would be interesting to know what the difference is betwen the two. I don't know who GSF are but those prices seem very cheap compared to the official Audi prices. Do they include all the bits ?

As a general comment, you don't buy an Audi for cheap and cheerful motoring ! Apart from consumables it is inadvisable to use non-Audi spares, particularly with regard to running gear.

Hope you get it sorted.

Mike, thanks for the explanation of what a PR number is, you learn something everyday. I have had a look in the front of the service book and there are lots of number \ letters and the only 1Z I can see is 1ZE, so this means the part number mentioned ealier would be correct?

GSF is an abbreviation for German Swedish and French and they are similar to Euro Car Parts I guess, I will see if I can find out anymore info regarding the make etc of the 2 wheel bearings they have given me prices for!

I do agree with your last comment and would have hoped that by buying an Audi I would have the quality of German Prestige, but if I am completely honest to date I have been disapointed as have had nothing but problems and its costing me a small fortune to put right. Dont get me wrong I love the car and expect with an older car to have to replace certain elements, so maybe I am unfortunate with my audi experience so far, its just right now its a push to afford main dealer prices due to previous problems with EGR, Radiator fans etc.

I agree with you on the reliability issues, i've driven/worked on VAG cars for lots of years, reliability is not the reason I keep buying them.

As for the guff about it being inadvisable to fit non-Audi parts, last time I checked Audi didn't manufacture every single componant themselves, just buy parts made by one of the well known OEM suppliers.

Fitting looks straightforward, the bearing/flange comes as one unit that is bolted to the hub with four bolts, the driveshaft nut, lower balljoint, track rod end and ARB droplink will need to be removed to get the bearing off.

Mike where you get that price file & are you sure thats uptodate or you snyde & got a friend at audi :)

Mike where you get that price file & are you sure thats uptodate or you snyde & got a friend at audi :)

Got that part number and price from ETKA 7 - revision 7.2 update 724/105

2004 MY illustration 407-00. Actual price quoted excluding VAT is £134. It's the part in my post #4 not post #2 !

No friends at Audi unfortunately !!

Price file maybe little old mate, audi are on 432, wouldnt believe what you're reading atm.

Cheers mate - I suppose I just use it for identifying part numbers and just use the price as a bit of a clue really.

Just got a turbo pressure pipe done yesterday and my ETKA price was £43 inc VAT and the actual cost was £42 + VAT ! Also got an airbag wiring harness (for mfsw ) which ETKA says is £20.24 inc VAT and I paid £23.85 inc VAT.

Like I say, just using it as a clue really but I will probably get the updated version in due course.

Thanks for that anyway mate. :beerchug:

i have done a wheel bearing myself on the A3 and its not a bad job to be honest as long as you have the correct tools.

Brake discs, caliper etc have to come off.

You'll certainly need some splined sockets as there are 4 big splined bolts that hold the bearing/hub unit on. One of the bolts is a bit of a git to get to but do-able.

You'll also need to take the hub nut off as well which is stupidly tight so a big breakers bar will be required. Also make sure you fit a new hub nut as they are one use only. make sure you undo the hub nut when you have the wheel on the ground - take the centre cap off the wheel for access.

Torque wrench is also ideal to ensure you tighten the bolts to the right torque however usually i just tighten them up as much as i can.

I think i paid £120 for my front wheel bearing a few months ago.