Chris NottAH Fabrications
    5th Gear

Status

Where is the Crankshaft position sensor located?

Well the garage seems to think my warm start probs maybe down to the crankshaft position sensor, but they quoted me Ł140 to change it... Now from what I understand the part is about Ł65 from Audi and they are charging an hours labour. What I want to know is can it be changed easily DIY, or will they need to do it in a garage?

It seems that eurocarparts sell the sensor for circa Ł25 as does another place, would rather spend as little as possible in case this doesn't resolve the problem. The tech at the garage wasn't 100% certain it was this sensor causing probs, as no faults were detected on their reader.

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    UH the warm start issues are usually down to starter issue with heatsoak from the gearbox affecting the solenoid workings or coolant senders of which there are 2 on a bkd tdi, not known of this sender being a cause.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

5th Gear

Status
    I have only seen this crankshaft position sensor mentioned a few times in searches here & google most seem to relate to the 8L. I've read the threads about starters and those 2 sensors and thought the tech would have told me one of those need replacing.

I seen a few starters on ebay, would it be OK buy a relatively new one (08-09) or would I need a brand new/ recon one?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    It would need to be a specific one for the power rating & engine & I believe yours is same as mine, so would need to be the 02E911023L or LX, latter being an exchanged part, the new starters make a hell of a difference as fitted 1 to another members car, make sure you confirm part number with dealer though mate, I suspect our current one is an H which supersedes to as mentioned.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Does the fault code say cam position sensor ? or maybe cam set point not reached ?
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

5th Gear

Status
    They said there were no fault codes at all apart from a defective glow plug, but this wouldn't effect warm starts.

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    I would def go with Nige then. The cam sensor lights up if you just look at it and if it has no code then i doubt very much thats the problem.

My thinking is...if the cam sensor is not working then it would defo fault code...if not the cam sensor or cam position, then something else down the line. If it is working and sending out a wrong position it would still fault code something else down the line as a result..therefore i cant see any point in replacing it unless they have physically checked and failed it. Don't let Audi start guessing...they have no more idea than you if there is no code but will still charge you Ł150 an hour to have a guess or two !! it cost me Ł4.5k for them to keep guessing for 4 weeks and they said that was the cam sensor ...lol.If Nige has experience with a sticky starter solenoid on diesel A3's under heat then thats a good place to start IMHO
    Last edited by paddy; 9th November 2010 at 22:02.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.