Where is the Crankshaft position sensor located?

~RS~

Reaction score
Well the garage seems to think my warm start probs maybe down to the crankshaft position sensor, but they quoted me £140 to change it... Now from what I understand the part is about £65 from Audi and they are charging an hours labour. What I want to know is can it be changed easily DIY, or will they need to do it in a garage?

It seems that eurocarparts sell the sensor for circa £25 as does another place, would rather spend as little as possible in case this doesn't resolve the problem. The tech at the garage wasn't 100% certain it was this sensor causing probs, as no faults were detected on their reader.

UH the warm start issues are usually down to starter issue with heatsoak from the gearbox affecting the solenoid workings or coolant senders of which there are 2 on a bkd tdi, not known of this sender being a cause.

I have only seen this crankshaft position sensor mentioned a few times in searches here & google most seem to relate to the 8L. I've read the threads about starters and those 2 sensors and thought the tech would have told me one of those need replacing.

I seen a few starters on ebay, would it be OK buy a relatively new one (08-09) or would I need a brand new/ recon one?

It would need to be a specific one for the power rating & engine & I believe yours is same as mine, so would need to be the 02E911023L or LX, latter being an exchanged part, the new starters make a hell of a difference as fitted 1 to another members car, make sure you confirm part number with dealer though mate, I suspect our current one is an H which supersedes to as mentioned.

Does the fault code say cam position sensor ? or maybe cam set point not reached ?

They said there were no fault codes at all apart from a defective glow plug, but this wouldn't effect warm starts.

I would def go with Nige then. The cam sensor lights up if you just look at it and if it has no code then i doubt very much thats the problem.

My thinking is...if the cam sensor is not working then it would defo fault code...if not the cam sensor or cam position, then something else down the line. If it is working and sending out a wrong position it would still fault code something else down the line as a result..therefore i cant see any point in replacing it unless they have physically checked and failed it. Don't let Audi start guessing...they have no more idea than you if there is no code but will still charge you £150 an hour to have a guess or two !! it cost me £4.5k for them to keep guessing for 4 weeks and they said that was the cam sensor ...lol.If Nige has experience with a sticky starter solenoid on diesel A3's under heat then thats a good place to start IMHO

Last edited: