USB Connection and track display

Stratts

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just got my new Black Ed A3 and it has the USB connection in the glove box. Does anyone know how to get the track names and folders displayed on the screen, as all I get at the moment is CD1...6 on the screen and "Track 01" etc.

I thought the idea was I could see the track details and folders and could easily switch around between them. I have read the manual three times and I have set up the USB device as described in the manual, with only six folders, each one containing only music files and no sub-directories and it still won't work.

I have the standard Concert radio - anyone know how to do this?

AFAIK it won't display the track details. It just does exactly as you say yours is doing. I've ordered it on mine and I'm not expecting it to display the track details...Hope I'm wrong! :)

This may seem sad to some people, but this has really put a downer on the new car for me. I only had a limited amount of money to spend on options and I chose USB over adding the Comfort Pack (ilo rear parking sensors).

On every other car I have ever had with USB (at least 4) I have always been able to create folders and view the contents so I can see what I am playing and easily change between them. I know I could just use one USB for different artists/etc but this defeats the object for me. I'll just have to create loads of mp3 CDs instead.

I will be upgrading to RNS-E now as that appears to be the only way to get it working how I want. I will be writing to Audi UK though, really poor on their part I think.

Don't you have to specify AMI as an option on later cars (or will it still only work with RNS-e post 2010)?

When I paid for iPod dock on mine I was amazed when I saw it was only a pseudo autochanger with 5 playlists (CD1-5), and then the entire iPod library listed as CD6.

Certainly the option I was least pleased with for the money.

RNS-E will give you two SD card slots to put your music into (with names and folders), but given how long this technology has been out, you'd expect Audi to be selling this on cars that are deemed to be premium sector. I barely ever use my iPod dock now, and actually wish I'd specified a 6 disc player option so I could use MP3 CD's to back up the RNS-E.

Poor show.

I have ipod docks in both the Mk5 Golf and Mk4. Neither of which displayed the track name.
I bought an A3 with a SymphonyII CD changer which plays mp3's. Much better than the Ipod and I have over 60 albums across the 6 disks. shows album and track name as well as track name on the DIS.
Great in my opinion

I think the USB option is poor value for money (just a CD changer cable with a socket on the end).

Best thing to do is create six directories on the USB stick then fill each directory (up to 99 tracks per directory) with a single artist. Each directory appears as a CD (CD1 ---CD6 no names obviously) on the display.

Also I found it useful to use SD card USB adaptors in the car, this gives more flexibility and a bigger surface to stick a label with artist details.

This link is also useful www.audi-sport.net/vb/car-entertainment/59917-audi-usb-socket-tt-a3.html I can reccomend MP3tag but don't use it on precious files until you are used to it

I am just in the middle of spec'ing my new A3 Black Edition. I was going to go with the IPOD connection lead, but to be honest at £185 I am going for the Symphony 6 CD changer and I am going to retrofit a Dension 100 iPod kit which shows the track details in the DIS and all for £200 quid. Much better than the stock Audi phono socket and only £15 more than the iPod lead. Winner winner chicken dinner !

sorry for being simple...but I thought all BE had the RSNE as part of the BE upgrade? or is that just the S3