Buying blind(ish)

actionslax

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

I am about to make a purchase on a 60k 06 Sportback S-line 2.0 tdi (170) From a trader on behalf of private seller. The car is a plane ride away (i'm up in Schotland) so as my title says I am buying blind in terms of not being able to look and test drive before sitting on a plane. No cash exchanging until I 100% make my decision but if there is anything i can do before hand while I'm up here all the better.

Just been looking at one of the sticky posts and there was a mention of the the 2.0 TDI cylinder head cracking problem. This got me slightly worried as soon as there was mention of 2.5k euros to fix!

Suppose my questions and advice I'm looking for is - should i get one of these AA/RAC checks? Is it worth investing in warranty from them?

Thanks and appreciate any replies.

Cheers

Stu

2500. Geez thats a bit much. I would fix my own for about 600 quid if mine went.. I thought mine did crack but i used k seal and no more leaks coolant stays at the same level. thank god. Mines a 53 plate with 130k miles aswell

Stu 100% get a AA/RAC check while your there. Well worth it... As they will be able to tell you of any issues straight away. Better safe than sorry.
If you want warranty check Warranty Direct, that who my warranty with. Not made a claim as yet so cant comment on their service. But when i first spoke to them they seemed fine and you can speak to their engineer before you put a claim in...

Cool thanks chaps. Will get one of these AA/RAC checks. Don't suppose anyone knows of any discount offers or members rates etc?

Russo2k5 - because they are selling on behalf of private seller there isn't any warranty (I think) and is something I did ask. Will try and get this thrown in or negotiate some sort of deal if there isn't one.

Will check out this Warranty Direct - cheers again.

Is there anything else worth checking? Just had a service at 60k in September and will phone Audi on this to see if there is anything else they can let me know. I take the belts/pump etc for these not due till 80k?

cheers
Stu

Just remembered I am a member of the RAC - DOH! Been a while since I have been out of car ownership!