Tdi noises under the bonnet??

rickyquicky

Reaction score
I was listening to my car earlier whilst parked up idling, and after kneeling down on the pavement to listen further down under the engine I could hear a very faint intermittent whirring/grinding noise.

The noise is quite faint, and only comes every 10 seconds or so and lasts for a second or so, the rest of the time there are no noises and it all sounds sweet.

Any ideas what this could be? A drive belt pulley? Tensioner? DMF?

Last edited:
Yeah, stick a new one on & see if it goes :p

Not really, mine was squeeky, took it to audi who fobbed me off and said its self adjusting. A year later car stalled on a roundabout with a siezed alternator.

To be far though it did last another year lol. Maybe if you checked it after 6 months and you were still unsure then you should have got it changed.

My tensioner pulley broke leading the ribbed belt to wrap around bottom of crankshaft pulley. Shredded belt came into contact with the cambelt and bottom sprocket causing camshaft timing to be incorrect... This also lead to pistons coming together with valves and bunch of other major PITA's... Long story short new engine required and corresponding parts! All, thankfully covered under warranty! Otherwise 6K out of pocket :crying:

I'd get that seen to asap if I were you mate