JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Lowered but getting rubbing....

Hey guys, just looking for a little advice.

I've had my A3 put on 45mm H&R springs & geo realigned from the guys at Awesome GTI and it looks so much more meaner and is now well planted
    [they were my only option for springs as there ain't much choice for my engine & year of A3]
    thing is I'm getting some rubbing - usually when over a speed bump a bit too quickly, hitting rollers on the road at speed or with some weight in the back of the car - now I know reading back it's just 'do the opposite' of what I've written but it's mainly about having the weight in the back of the car thats causing me an issue....

where i'm going with this is:
    would fitting some smaller sized spacers help solve this
    or
    is this more of a 'surgery procedure' on the arches? i.e rolling or reshaping the inside?
    or
    is this down to the factory shockers?
    or
    is it tyre size? [225/40ZR 18 92W]
    or
    something else/all of these

It's difficult to tell if it's the inside or outside of the tyre's that are catching as I cannot see any noticable rub points so I'm hoping that someone else who's experienced this can help...

Cheers,
    BigT.
    '07 A3 1.8TFSi | Brilliant Black | 18" RS6 Style Alloy's | H&R's | MudFlaps | Exhaust Tips |

I 'loves' my wife, I 'likes' my car.. I have to remember that.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I'm not the person who knows that much about what tyre size you should go for etc lol. But i'd change the tyres or check the shocks.
    But im sure N8 (wheel/suspension/tyre whore I mean that in the nicest way possible) or one of the other guys can advise you better than me lol.
    My car lowered about 70mm+ i got no rubbing as yet!(i'll probably notice some rubbing on my way home from work now lol)
    Sorry cant really be much of help the more experienced guys will be around soon.
    Last edited by Ash B; 3rd November 2010 at 17:56.
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

1st Gear

Status
    What size are the spacers?

How many miles have the shocks done?

45mm drop on a standard A3 shouldnt really causing rubbing, even with a 225 profile. I've lowered mine 45/50mm and running 235 and haven't has any problems (toouch wood).
    2006 Audi A3 (8P)
    Spec - 2.0 TDI l DSG l Sprint Blue l Leather Interior l 18" RS6's | H&Rs | S3 Front | 6k Bi-Xenons | EMTuning DPF Delete Package
    Plans - BBS

Neutral

Status
    Haven't got any spacers yet but looking at probably between 5-10mm if I go down that route
    [dependant on advice I guess]
    shocks have done 22k, factory standard - it was sold as uprated sports suspension but I think thats bullsh*t, unless it did come on the SE? [but I ain't holding my breath...]
    '07 A3 1.8TFSi | Brilliant Black | 18" RS6 Style Alloy's | H&R's | MudFlaps | Exhaust Tips |

4th Gear

Status
    probs hitting on the back spacers will sort in straight away. shouldn't really be scrubbing off that really

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Haven't got any spacers yet but looking at probably between 5-10mm if I go down that route
    [dependant on advice I guess]
    shocks have done 22k, factory standard - it was sold as uprated sports suspension but I think thats bullsh*t, unless it did come on the SE? [but I ain't holding my breath...]

Naa the SE doesn't come with sports suspension. Guessing it was quite high before you lowered it?
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

Neutral

Status
    haha yeah, I could stick my foot between the wheel and the arch.

What was the difference between the SE and Sport for my year of A3?
    I can see the difference in the spec of new models on the current Audi website but not necessarily looks-wise....
    hmm, how would you know which model/kit/spec/pack[?] it is?
    Last edited by BigT; 3rd November 2010 at 22:27.

(●̮̮̃̃) (●̮̮̃̃)

Status
    Have you removed the infamous screw from the rear arch?

That's cured a lot of peeps problems with running lower.

From the sounds of your setup, your scrubbing shouldnt be as bad as it sounds
    05 SB SE BKD

Build Thread

Neutral

Status
    yeah, it probably isn't as bad as it sounds, its certainly not a continuous rub just on deeper dips and with some heavier weight in the back - 40/50kg+ I'm reckoning.

Screw? oh aye, whats this then?

(●̮̮̃̃) (●̮̮̃̃)

Status
    Look up in the wheel arch and you will see a large headed screw which protrudes outs. Whip that fecker out as it as useful as a chocolate teapot, and see how you get on fella.

You may be pleasantly surprised at the ease of the fix :0
    05 SB SE BKD

Build Thread

Neutral

Status
    K, that shall be the first thing I do and try it this weekend, thanks for the tip Scottie and fingers crossed it helps.