A3 Blutooth Pairing

spookydownunder

Reaction score
Hi there.

I bought my 56 plate A3 2.0T S-line Special edition a while back, and am having problems connecting to the built in bluetooth unit. The car has the multi function steering wheel.

I can connect an old HTC/Qtek 8310 and all looks to work fine. I can scroll through contacts, make calls etc.

The problem arrises when I try to connect a newer phone, as in my HTC Magic/Sapphire, girlfriends old Nokia 6300 etc. They just will not find each other.

Can someone confirm that this is because the car's age means that the bluetooth is bluetooth 1.0 and all the new phones bluetooth 2.0?

If so, is there anyway to upgrade the bluetooth kit? I don't really want to put in a new retrofit item, when all the kit is already in place.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

You can upgrade the bluetooth module as mine is from a 2008 model. There's a list somewhere as to what phones work and what do not. I had issue pairing my Nokia E71 when I first fitted the BT, but it seemed to get used to being paired a couple days later, after I had reset the settings only Not the master reset.

It seems strange that newer phone will not pair I always assumed that the new bluetooth (V1.1 & V2) extended the range and speed of transfers as apposed to being a totally different method of transfer if that makes any sense. What I mean is I assumed that the way the transfer happened was the same it just got quicker and was possible to use from longer distances, but I'm probably wrong lol!

What I am right about is being able to upgrade the BT module itself to a newer version.

I had problems the other day trying to pair to a 57 plate A3. After I had deleted all my old call records (calls made, received etc) from my phone it paired straight away!

You can upgrade the bluetooth module as mine is from a 2008 model. There's a list somewhere as to what phones work and what do not. I had issue pairing my Nokia E71 when I first fitted the BT, but it seemed to get used to being paired a couple days later, after I had reset the settings only Not the master reset.

It seems strange that newer phone will not pair I always assumed that the new bluetooth (V1.1 & V2) extended the range and speed of transfers as apposed to being a totally different method of transfer if that makes any sense. What I mean is I assumed that the way the transfer happened was the same it just got quicker and was possible to use from longer distances, but I'm probably wrong lol!

What I am right about is being able to upgrade the BT module itself to a newer version.

Do you know how, or do you know where to find out how, to actually upgrade it? I asked Audi, and they just said there was nothing they could do.

To answer your other point, I thought bluetooth 2.0 did exactly as you say. It just seems strange that it works happily enough on the older phone, without deleting calls, logs etc.

Thanks for any futher help available.
Steve

Well I bought my BT module from ebay, it was actually from an 09' vehicle. You cant upgrade your existing module - as in reprogram it... you would have to buy a new one. Sorry if my first post wasn't clear.

Here's a post on vagoc about BT phones and pairing:

phones/smartphones that work with BT prep | VAGOC.co.uk

Also read this about rSAP and android handsets:

Issue 4402 - android - rSAP / Sim access bluetooth profile - Project Hosting on Google Code

There was a long list on a US forum that showed all phones that paired no problem but I cant find it now.

Here's a pic of my BT module and it's part no:

DSC02298.jpg

Might be down to that rSAP thing as your handset runs android...

I just bought OEM version of bluetooth (8P1 862 335) and replaced the previous fiscon-mobile.
Connected everything except for k-line (my car is an A3 8P 2007, so no need for that).
Navigation coding left untouched (Coding: 0205714) and coded just the bluetooth (Coding: 0000322)
After that I tried to connect with my Nokia E51 and can't see it. It doesn't show up at all (nor generic or anything)
I can see the module with vag-com and has no errors.

I have retrofitted RNS-E, non OEM Tv-tuner and RVC with kufatec AMI, no multifunction steering wheel.

What can it be?
Thanks!

Ha Ha,

Guys, thanks for all of your help/advice but it's sorted. Bit weird, at the weekend I decided to have another go. Thought I'd start by trying to pair girlfriends blackberry. Didn't work first time, then it did. Bit confusing. I was looking at manual, and noticed that it said in order to pair, the car had to be stationary. Again, a bit weird. Then something dropped, seemed to remember someone saying that it had to be within five minutes of starting car.

So, as I was already parked, I just turned off engine, removed key, restarted, and tried my phone. Paired up first time. No problems, and now phone happily connects everytime i get in car. Don't know what will happens when girlfriend pairs up next time but we shall see.

So anyway, this seems to be the key. Start engine, search deevices and once done, drive off and talk on phone all legal like.

Cheers for your help.

Steve