Climate control panel question

Minton

Reaction score
Mate the first issue here is that first link is a single-din and the second is a double-din, which if you look closely are two completely different shapes never mind the newer switches.

Secondly the facelift unit will not work with the 2004, sorry

Thanks - I realised they had different switches, but their purpose is the same. However I didn't know one was single DIN and the other double, they look the same size/shape to me. Thanks for the heads up.

around 2006/07 they changed the way the aircon worked an while the connectors are the same, the air con wont work properly. This means if your after the 2006/07 change over the new syle will work but before the change it wont. As said, there is also the single/double din though after 2006(?) the A3 only came with the double din.

07-on is double din from what I've seen. My 56-plate is single DIN. I've sat in a few double DIN cars and it's a bit of an ergonomic faux-pas by AUDI due to the A3's centre console side bars. You have to contort you hand around the gearstick to adjust the temps and it all just looks squashed. But the double DIN units do look very nice!!!

Never had in problems reaching anything but if you still have the ash tray fitted it does make the storage space under it a lot smaller.

Never had in problems reaching anything but if you still have the ash tray fitted it does make the storage space under it a lot smaller.

an excuse to fit an FCA, that's all lol...

Right, I got a replacement - exactly the same as my old one. How do I remove it.??

P.S - I have the RNS-E so the climate is right down the bottom. I've tried a search but it's still not clear.

Last edited:
I assumed I would need to first remove the RNS-E (I think!) so got Audi to pop it out for me. Any ideas what I do next.?

Also, before I disconnect the rsn-e, I need to find the codes, but I can't find it anywhere. Is there any trick to getting codes, or is it an Audi service job?

The aircon unit just pops out by pulling it towards yourself. I'm trying to remember if the side bars need removed too though to give space either side of the unit. The RNS-E doesnt need to come out.

Ok, silly question - how do I pull it there is nothing to grab hold of.? Does anyone know for sure if the side bars need to come off too.?

Cheers mate! I think however I have the wrong part :( I think I have bought a single din by mistake. Can anyone confirm the part no. for a DOUBLE din climate control.? (I have a 2004 car)

Cant you just swap the front of the units across? The unit is held together by a pile of torx.

I, like a few others adapted my single din to double din by filing down the edges but its a bit of work.

To be honest, I only need to replace 2 buttons (the fan + and - ones) the rest of the existing unit is fine.

Ah, thats fine then, they are the same buttons. Just need the small sized torx to strip it & swap the buttons across!

Thanks mate, appreciate it. Will take a look... :)

Its mid 07 onwards the new climates will work on, pre not a chance in hell unless changing over a number of things.

Also, best advised to remove the rns as pulling the unit can be at times a task, others a piece of cake, but if one of the spring clips pings of whilst removing, then it could disappear in the center console & then rattle all the time, so my advice is remove rns then from behind push the spring clips down at the top, pull climate forward, which then self releases the bottom clips for removal of unit.

Thanks NHN, I was hoping not to remove the RNS fully as I cannot find the code anywhere However, the rattling spring clip would be very annoying!