Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

Climate control panel question

Hi all, we need a new climate control panel as our buttons have worn away. We currently have one like this.... AUDI A3 2004 CLIMATE CONTROL PANEL on eBay (end time 23-Nov-10 13:53:05 GMT)

But was wondering if a 2010 one would fit (they look the same size/shape) like this.....AUDI A3 S LINE CLIMATE CONTROLS HEATER CONTROLS on eBay (end time 10-Nov-10 15:36:09 GMT)

Are they a straight swap.? (I have a 2004 with no heated seats)

Appreciate your help

Matt

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Mate the first issue here is that first link is a single-din and the second is a double-din, which if you look closely are two completely different shapes never mind the newer switches.

Secondly the facelift unit will not work with the 2004, sorry
    Moved to the Darkside click below:

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks - I realised they had different switches, but their purpose is the same. However I didn't know one was single DIN and the other double, they look the same size/shape to me. Thanks for the heads up.

6th Gear

Status
    around 2006/07 they changed the way the aircon worked an while the connectors are the same, the air con wont work properly. This means if your after the 2006/07 change over the new syle will work but before the change it wont. As said, there is also the single/double din though after 2006(?) the A3 only came with the double din.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks chaps!

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    07-on is double din from what I've seen. My 56-plate is single DIN. I've sat in a few double DIN cars and it's a bit of an ergonomic faux-pas by AUDI due to the A3's centre console side bars. You have to contort you hand around the gearstick to adjust the temps and it all just looks squashed. But the double DIN units do look very nice!!!

6th Gear

Status
    Never had in problems reaching anything but if you still have the ash tray fitted it does make the storage space under it a lot smaller.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
    Never had in problems reaching anything but if you still have the ash tray fitted it does make the storage space under it a lot smaller.
    an excuse to fit an FCA, that's all lol...
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Right, I got a replacement - exactly the same as my old one. How do I remove it.??

P.S - I have the RNS-E so the climate is right down the bottom. I've tried a search but it's still not clear.
    Last edited by Minton; 8th November 2010 at 09:45.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I assumed I would need to first remove the RNS-E (I think!) so got Audi to pop it out for me. Any ideas what I do next.?

Also, before I disconnect the rsn-e, I need to find the codes, but I can't find it anywhere. Is there any trick to getting codes, or is it an Audi service job?

6th Gear

Status
    The aircon unit just pops out by pulling it towards yourself. I'm trying to remember if the side bars need removed too though to give space either side of the unit. The RNS-E doesnt need to come out.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ok, silly question - how do I pull it there is nothing to grab hold of.? Does anyone know for sure if the side bars need to come off too.?

6th Gear

Status
    looks like you don. Here's a tutoriol on fitting a start button & it shows it just getting pulled out.

Audi Retrofit

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers mate! I think however I have the wrong part I think I have bought a single din by mistake. Can anyone confirm the part no. for a DOUBLE din climate control.? (I have a 2004 car)

6th Gear

Status
    Cant you just swap the front of the units across? The unit is held together by a pile of torx.

I, like a few others adapted my single din to double din by filing down the edges but its a bit of work.

Reverse Gear

Status
    To be honest, I only need to replace 2 buttons (the fan + and - ones) the rest of the existing unit is fine.

6th Gear

Status
    Ah, thats fine then, they are the same buttons. Just need the small sized torx to strip it & swap the buttons across!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks mate, appreciate it. Will take a look...

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Its mid 07 onwards the new climates will work on, pre not a chance in hell unless changing over a number of things.

Also, best advised to remove the rns as pulling the unit can be at times a task, others a piece of cake, but if one of the spring clips pings of whilst removing, then it could disappear in the center console & then rattle all the time, so my advice is remove rns then from behind push the spring clips down at the top, pull climate forward, which then self releases the bottom clips for removal of unit.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks NHN, I was hoping not to remove the RNS fully as I cannot find the code anywhere However, the rattling spring clip would be very annoying!