JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

S3 suspension changes?

Hello,

Does anyone know if theres a way of changing the suspention to improve the ride as I find it quite harsh due to some terrible roads round my way, Or if I swap for one with magnetic ride is there a 'soft' option?

Thanks for any replys

Danny

2. # ADS
    ADS

Interior Next!!

Status
    not that i know of matey.. maybe you could try coilovers.. never experienced the magnetic ride but ive heard its better on the TT.. id go for some Bilsteins or KWv3's
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3RYE View Post
    not that i know of matey.. maybe you could try coilovers.. never experienced the magnetic ride but ive heard its better on the TT.. id go for some Bilsteins or KWv3's
    The mag-ride is equivalent to standard on one setting and hard on the other.

The KwV3 suspension is vastly superior to the OEM suspension but it is much stiffer,so what the OP is after isn't going to be met by that either.
    It does have far better control though.

S3 (8P)

Status
    I reckon you will struggle to get an aftermarket set up that is softer than OEM.

Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Reverse Gear

Status

Improving S3 ride

Hi

Just what I have been thinking, the car is great apart from the ride, which is not too bad but could be better on certain roads, Konis are available:

Thank you for your interest in KONI the correct part number is 2100-4090. Iu would like to read further into this follow are blog by following this link KONI FSD. We do not have the audi listed but this is the correct part number recommended by KONI.

My only concern is that the Konis seem to be a universal fitment for Golfs and A3s rather than S3 specific, so presumably would be slightly longer as not for the lower suspension? This could raise the ride height and possibly improve the ride by not compressing the springs as much at rest? I'm happy to have a slightly higher ride - better for some of the roads I occasionally have to use, but presumably this would also upset the headlamp height, there is a control link from memory?

The FSD could be the answer to the ride with variable frequency, which has been used in F1 for many years, but has anyone got any feedback on the Konis on an S3?

Regards Gray S

2008 S3 Red

4th Gear

Status
    eibach -30mm springs and koni fsd dampers give approx the same s3 ride height, but the ride is much less crashy, more comfy and the damping is much better than the oem stuff - its all win win for once (apart from costing money of course)
    TT-RS 410hp revo
    Fiat 500 1.3 tdi 120hp
    A3 8P 2.0tdi 240hp Autograph Cars
    RS4 B5 520hp MTM
    S3 8L 345hp MTM
    Volvo 850 T5 300hp BSR
    Fiat Punto GT 130hp
    Lancia Delta Turbo 185hp
    Lancia Beta Coupe 122hp
    Mini 74hp

Reverse Gear

Status