Remapping via OBD is possible on new A3s - MY11 1.8TFSI

palexr

Reaction score
A little while ago I posted a thread titled "Remapping via OBD not possible on new A3..." This thread is just to correct that, they can be remapped via the OBD.

I recently investigated using a Bluefin device on my new MY11 1.8tfsi but was told by a couple of dealers and Superchips themselves that it most probably wouldn't be possible because of the anti-tamper code on the new ECUs. This meant that the only way to remap was to remove the ECU.

The advice on this forum was the same, the new MED17.5 ECU could not be remapped directly via the OBD and the ECU would have to come out. However, a few suggested that GIAC and REVO had solved this issue. Looking at REVO's website there is a news announcement that they have got round the security code. So I took the plunge and went down to AMDEssex at Lakeside, a very helpful and friendly bunch of people. They quickly reassured me that it would be possible.

So, one Stage 1 remap later and I've got a new car. The remap has definitely worked. Straight off their premises and the difference was noticeable
speechless-smiley-020.gif
. Power delivery is much more immediate and the smile I had overtaking is now a grin
grinning-smiley-045.gif

Before
Power: 171.3 bhp (supposed to be 157, a bit of a Audi freebie Brucey bonus)
Torque: 184.4 lb/ft @ 4693 rpm

After Remap
Power: 214.2 bhp
Torque: 261.1 lb/ft @ 3171 rpm

Happy days.

Sorry for the double post/bump on this but I thought it was worth sharing in its own post. I know this is nothing new for 90% of you Audi veterans but I thought it would be useful for newbies to know that it is possible to remap new MY11 models (at least REVO can do new 1.8TFSIs).

knew it was possible but now most the other moneys do too glad youre happy with it

The other moneys? Who are they...

Yep, AMDEssex charged me £449 + VAT (£527) for the REVO map. This is a bit more than the average, but there a few reasons I went with them. They (AMD and REVO) seem to be highly regarded on the net. Seems you do get what you pay for. The REVO map gives a slightly higher change in terms of before and after than say Bluefin, on our cars anyway. As I said in the first post there seems to be lot doubt whether or not our cars can be Bluefined. AMD are only 40 minutes away.

Well worth it if you ask me. The car feels completely different, in a good way.

This is the printout of the rolling road results.

Last edited:
In fairness this is nothing new, you still need to remove the ECU first to bypass the code, from then on you can use the OBD port to change files. I am pretty sure Superchips offer this, i.e. they remove the ECU, do the needed changes, replace it, then the OBD can be used. I don;t like the idea of the ECU being removed, hopefully someone will crack the code problem and the ECU can be left in place.:huh:

OK, thanks. It is confusing for people new to this. Although it does also say "there is no tell tale sign to if a car has antitune software present or not, Cars can have the same ECU number and software version but some will have the lock out and others not so". I asked AmDEssex to check and mine could be done directly.

basically as i understand it, its the same ECU and some have the security present and others not, if it is present the ECU has to be removed and opened, my worry with this is that i am pretty sure they use ant-tamper screws, paper seals, etc etc so can tell if the ECU has been opened. Also i heard that in theory, as the security is software based, manufacturers could add the security software to cars which did not have it from the factory during a routine software update !. :(

Hopefully someone will be able to solve the problem and OBD will work on all cars without ECU removal, i really don't like the idea of the ECU being opened.

Yes, it is a minefield. Not sure why they are going to such lengths to lock down their cars. Probably just generic corporate paranoia.

Like i said, I asked AmDEssex to do it via the OBD port, it would be just my luck if there was some kind of "misunderstanding" and they did it the other way. Any way of checking easily?

A further question, I'm guessing (hoping) the OEM components are good for 215bhp/260lb? The posts I read here appeared to say that the were good for a stage 1 remap.

Last edited:
Any update on how the map was put on mate? Did they remove the ECU after all?