Cruise Control retro-fitting - can anybody on here for me?

c_w

Reaction score
Is there anybody here in the North West that can fit cruise control to an 8P? I've seen on Ebay the cruise control stalk, loom and trim so it would just be the fitting and coding (or if they can supply parts and fitting if the fitter does that!). Thanks!

I think u need to have the correct controll module in your car to begin with. Someone will come along shortly to make it clear to you.

The car is a 56 2.0TDI S-Line, hopefully that should have the right one I'll have it confirmed first though.

You need to get VCDS on the car and determine the SCSM part number (or at least the last letter as all the part numbers are the same bar the last letter). This will be 8E0 953 549 and then if the last letter is N, Q or R, then your SCSM will take cruise control and code up no problems. Any other letter on the end will mean you require a new SCSM which will hike up the cost dramatically (about another £100 or there-abouts). Once you know which module you have, then you can go ahead and get the bits required knowing that you aren't going to get half way through the job and realise you need something else, or you've shelled out for something you didn't need.

Thanks I will def check VAGCOM first to see what it is. From other threads I've searched back through 8P0-953-549-F is mentioned as suitable too?

Thanks I will def check VAGCOM first to see what it is. From other threads I've searched back through 8P0-953-549-F is mentioned as suitable too?

You are correct - the one you mentioned is ok for CC and mfsw.

There are many ecu's that support just cc and my 2005 sportback has 1K0 953 549 AF which supports it ok.

Check this link to see which ones are suitable :-

Steering Wheel Control Module Versions - Ross-Tech Wiki

Audi A3 8P is the same platform as the Golf Mk V

Thanks for that link. It's crazy that there are so many different control modules just for one part!! Surely does not make economical sense to make so many different ones! Would be cheaper to just make 2, one that's basic and one that supports CC/Steering Wheel controls IMO!!

Fella - I used Hazydayz from EBay. They came to my work and fixed cruise on my S3 for £220, including all the parts (stalk, cowling etc) in about 40 minutes. Some don't rate them, but they were helpful & friendly folks, doing a few other VAGCOM bits for free while they were there.

If you want to keep it in the forum family, there's MattAndrew over Buxton way who may well fit it cheaper IIRC. Search his posts & PM him.

c_w - bear in mind that if you need a new steering ecu (£150) you can't buy the parts for £220 never mind supply and fit !

Chances are BigBird didn't need the ecu. I didn't either but the parts cost £85 for new stalk and lower cowl. That was from Stoke Audi who are sponsors of this forum and give a discount to members.

It took me just over an hour to fit and that was a first time effort.

My Steering Wheel Control Module is 1K0-953-549-AF which according to Steering Wheel Control Module Versions - Ross-Tech Wiki supports Cruise Control! :)

Mike, it would be really good if you could just let me know a rough guide to fitting? I know there's others but sometimes another perspective helps, and it would also complete the thread!

Once fitted I take it in VAGCOM, it just requires activating by selecting OBC+Cruise?

Also, could you let me know if I need anything else other than;

Cruise Control Stalk 8P0 054 690
Lower Cowl 8P0 953 512 A6 PS

On an Ebay ad for an 8P retro-fit is states the above two parts PLUS a "cruise control loom" too? Is this required? (Audi A3 (8P) TT (8J) - Retrofit Cruise Control & Trim on eBay (end time 13-Dec-10 17:06:17 GMT))

Last edited:
My Steering Wheel Control Module is 1K0-953-549-AF which according to Steering Wheel Control Module Versions - Ross-Tech Wiki supports Cruise Control! :)

Mike, it would be really good if you could just let me know a rough guide to fitting? I know there's others but sometimes another perspective helps, and it would also complete the thread!

Once fitted I take it in VAGCOM, it just requires activating by selecting OBC+Cruise?

Also, could you let me know if I need anything else other than;

Cruise Control Stalk 8P0 054 690
Lower Cowl 8P0 953 512 A6 PS

On an Ebay ad for an 8P retro-fit is states the above two parts PLUS a "cruise control loom" too? Is this required? (Audi A3 (8P) TT (8J) - Retrofit Cruise Control & Trim on eBay (end time 13-Dec-10 17:06:17 GMT))

OK mate - firstly you can ignore that ebay advert.

The two part numbers you have quoted are all that are needed for CC retro fit with the steering ecu that you already have. You have all the bits.

You should check the other guides for removal of steering wheel (airbag particularly ) making sure that the battery is disconnected before you remove it.

Once fitted you need to re-code the steering module in accordance with the appropriate choice in VCDS plus you need to tell the engine ECU that CC is installed. All this is very simple.

I repeat , you do not need to buy anything else (other than VCDS help if needed ) to make it all work !

However, I should point out that with that ecu ( suffix AF ) the CC works perfectly but not quite the way you expect ! The 'set' button on the end is inoperative and you set the speed by flicking the lever down rather than pressing the set button.

I did all this 6 months ago on my 2006MY sportback with the same ecu and parts as you and everything has been 'hunky-dory' ever since.

I am now having to change the ecu because I am fitting a mfsw which our 'AF' ecu does not support. When installed I will have the AF module available should anyone wish to upgrade.

Let me know if I can help further.

Cheers :beerchug:

p.s I'm in the North East - (Leeds area ) so will be happy to help if necessary

Last edited:
Thanks for all that! Just to clarify, what do you set on "engine ECU" to notify it of cruise?

Interesting that the set button doesn't work with the AF module, although I think pushing down to set it like my BMW so no big issue!

This will be 8E0 953 549 and then if the last letter is N, Q or R, then your SCSM will take cruise control and code up no problems. .

Wrong, he has an 8P not an 8E, so will be 8P0 953 549 F to support cruise & mf controls.

Last edited:
Wrong, he has an 8P not an 8E, so will be 1K0 953 549 F to support cruise & mf controls.

Sorry Nige - 1K0 953 549 F is midline and will only accept CC.

For cruise and mfsw it's 8P0 953 549 F which is highline and not shown on the link below.

I know this mate 'cos I've just changed my ecu from 1K0 953 549 AF which also only supports CC to the 8P0 version F which supports both to fit my mfsw.

Confusing it definitely is !!

Steering Wheel Control Module Versions - Ross-Tech Wiki

Edited, Sorry I meant to type 8P0, I always get the slip ring & sw module round wrong way.

Thanks for all that! Just to clarify, what do you set on "engine ECU" to notify it of cruise?

Interesting that the set button doesn't work with the AF module, although I think pushing down to set it like my BMW so no big issue!

Can't just remember what you set it to but when you access the engine ecu and go into adaptation ( I think ) it comes up with two numbers in a little bubble which tells you that one number is with CC and the other one is without. Just feed in the correct number.

By the way - the wiring loom referred to is a single repair wire that comes with the cc kit. Earlier models required an additional wire between steering ecu and 'somewhere else' but you don't need it ayway.

Last edited:
Fitted the CC today on my car, apart from removing the slip ring it all went fine. Luckily had a spline bit that fitted the steering wheel bolt! The ESP came up as a fault but this cleared after restarting and driving. Think the ESP does this when the battery is disconnected?

Incidentally my cruise works perfect as expected on the "AH" ECU (for some reason I originally though it was "AF"!); the SET button works fine and all works as it should.

Couple of bits I might add in fitting;

- Unscrew the two torx screws for the steering column clamp handle; Slide off the handle (this allows the lower trim to come off).

- To remove the airbag wiring from the column, pull back the orange tab on the yellow connect to release it.

The coding went fine;
Steering (16)
The 2nd to last digit changed to 4 (assuming it has OBC too)

Engine Module
select Coding II - 11
enter 11463 in to the coding
[Do It!]

Last edited:
Fitted the CC today on my car, apart from removing the slip ring it all went fine. Luckily had a spline bit that fitted the steering wheel bolt! The ESP came up as a fault but this cleared after restarting and driving. Think the ESP does this when the battery is disconnected?

Incidentally my cruise works perfect as expected on the "AH" ECU (for some reason I originally though it was "AF"!); the SET button works fine and all works as it should.

Couple of bits I might add in fitting;

- Unscrew the two torx screws for the steering column clamp handle; Slide off the handle (this allows the lower trim to come off).

- To remove the airbag wiring from the column, pull back the orange tab on the yellow connect to release it.

The coding went fine;
Steering (16)
The 2nd to last digit changed to 4 (assuming it has OBC too)

Engine Module
select Coding II - 11
enter 11463 in to the coding
[Do It!]

Once again - result ! Enjoy it 'cos I think it's great, especially when you've done it yourself and it works ! :icon_thumright:

Hi all this is my first ever post, is their anybody in the Birmingham area that can supply and fit cruise control to my
61 2.0.TDI sports line and how much thank you.

Reactions: Sandra
Hi all this is my first ever post, is their anybody in the Birmingham area that can supply and fit cruise control to my
61 2.0.TDI sports line and how much thank you.
Send a conversation to @NHN . Welcome to audi-sport.net. :) x

Hi guys,

Could you help me find the wiring loom part number necessary for the instalation of CC on an audi a3 8p 2004 3 door?

Thank you so much.

Yeah ping me a pm I can supply/fit.

Ping me a pm for a price please.