Updating to facelift centre console Airbag Warning light???? help

R55 MRU

Reaction score
I have recently updated my centre console to the facelift version double din. I got the parts today. But my car didnt have a passenger airbag light on the dash it was on the roof. my car is a 2004 a3 3 door. sport Is there any way i can get this light to work as it seems pointless it being there and having no use atall.

You will need to rewire it so the wires go to the console instead of the roof. If I get time I will try to find colour of wires.

Is there any way of making it so that both of the lights come on? at the same time. such as getting the clip and joining the cables together in parralel

the 2004s didn't have a warning light on the dash?

Not sure. If its just lighting up a bulb then yes but if the airbag system monitors the bulb condition - ie will disable the system if it thinks a warning light is out then is may cause issues.

The early 8P's have the light in the cluster as normal but the passenger side one is up on the roof light not next to the console switches.

untitled.jpg

Yeap I agree with Ewan here, was in roof, dont think bulb is monitored, but you may get dimmer buttons if using both, best to rewire to console.

my 8p had an esp button two blanks and a cup holder and hazard switch. I think the one in the roof is just a bulb. Havent looked yet but the button is a 6 pin connector. No idea how i would rewire... not bothered about wiring both and them being dimmer. as they will only be lit. if i ever disabled the airbag. which i probably wont. although i just would like it to work if its there.

The button will take over the function of the key/switch in the glovebox & roof warning light. You can wire it as it should be by replacing the key method, it will be a bit more wiring but nothing too hard. I can look out wiring for key too.

The button will take over the function of the key/switch in the glovebox & roof warning light. You can wire it as it should be by replacing the key method, it will be a bit more wiring but nothing too hard. I can look out wiring for key too.

Its a button? I thought it was just a warning lamp? let me go check this now

Just checked. its 100% not a button just a lamp but unsure as to why it needs a 6 pin connector plug so it must be controlled by the airbag system so i think what you guys are saying that it will know if the lamp is active or not may be true

Ah sorry, ok I just thought they made it a switch instead of the key. Will check wiring for you, what year were the new buttons from?

No its not a button, just warning lamp moved down to the vision field of driver, safer that way rather than looking up, why they stuck it up there is beyond me, was same on my S3.

They tend to use the same parts on switches etc to lessen the cost of things, even if they only use say 2 pins on this 6 pin connector.

OT. Ew you been MIA on msn, you ok?

So there should be a plug in the top of the console from the current warning bulb? that should clip straight into the new switch in the console?

UH I doubt it, but feel free to check & there is no way you'll want to pull that back to the console as its all in 1 loom for the roof center console imho, but hey if you got time............. it may also have a different connector, only 1 way to find out.

The warning light in the roof of the early A3 is just a bulb holder with two wires that plug into take off points on the main body of the interior light. It really is just a simple case of running two new wires down from these take off points to the two pins on the new dash indicator that the led is connected to.

The warning light in the roof of the early A3 is just a bulb holder with two wires that plug into take off points on the main body of the interior light. It really is just a simple case of running two new wires down from these take off points to the two pins on the new dash indicator that the led is connected to.

The new dash indicator has 6 pins..... so id be completely lost tbh mate. :(

As I already stated, they use the same connectors on a variety of parts but dont always utilise all of the pins, so its more than likely they dont use all 6, I dont have the time to check but someone else can.

So basically its a case of wiring up two wires from the bulb in the top of the dash and finding the correct two pins which will power the bulb in the indicator lamp in the dash.? wont blow a fuse or the switch?

I put in 2008 as a year & according to ELSA, pin 2 goes to the 12V & pin 3 goes to the airbag module, pretty much as the above image. Have you the connector that goes into the back of the 'button'? If you put 12V across those 2 pins it will confirm those pins to be right?

Russo no disrespect, but if you're not confident then get someone with experience to do the job before you do something you'd regret & cost you more money.

Understood mate. im not 100% looking to do it. i was just seeing if it was something that could easily be done. And no i dont have the connector that goes into the plug because its not part of the loom in the 53 (2004) a3. As the airbag light was never on the dash.

Russo2k5, I happen to own both an Facelift and Pre-Facelift 8P so will pull the switch and confirm for you what connects to where at some point soon.

The wiring is identical on both the pre & face, has 2 wires, 1 to fuse & other to airbag controller, your best bet given the airbag controller is a ******* to get to, is to take 2 x 0.5 wires down from the current lamp & wire to the new button, now you can either pull it all back down from existing loom or just do the joint in the roof, your decision, the latter is easier.

So on current setup, take pin 7 (fuse wire) on the roof connector to pin 2 of new connector, then take pin 4 of current setup (airbag wire) to pin 3 of new connecor.

Now that my son should be easy to do now.

Nigel, I take the wires cant be found that go up the A-piller by removing the glovebox?

I guess I'd better look into it as I, like you plan to fit MY11 switches when I have money & a working ETKA to work out what option I need.

AFAIK they go up the passenger side, but subject to checking.