Chris NottBadger5
    Neutral

Status

Low oil warning light

Driven a hundred or so miles to a mates house for the weekend and the oil light came up along the way. Was on the M6 at the time so stopped at the services as wasn't sure what the light was, and after reading the manual ended up putting 0.5 litres of VW 505 00 (which it says you can do).

Now how long will it be before the light would come on again i.e. can it wait until Monday when i've driven home and can buy some VW 507 00 from the Audi dealership of GSF? Also do i definitely need to get VW 507 00 because the manual says about oil for a flexible service and a fixed service??
    Last edited by owenjt; 29th October 2010 at 23:29.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    IIRC, when the warning light comes on its pretty low & will probably take 2 litres to take it back up to max on the dip stick. Whats car/year is it? My FSi just takes 10w40 oil according to autodata but guessing as yours says VW 507 00 thats same as 5w 30.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Top Gear!

Status
    same thing happened me the other night, it was half way below the min on the dip stick, so i got a litre of castrol 10w40 and put the whole lot in, its now cradling right in the middle, might give it another check to make sure, but i'm pretty sure 10w40 won't hurt the car if you use it instead of 5w30

Neutral

Status
    It's a 55 plate 2.0 TDI. I managed to get to an Audi dealer today and bought some VW 507 00. Will check tomorrow what level it's at and probably add the whole litre bottle then.

Do these things tend to use a lot of oil? Think I might buy another bottle too and keep it in my car for the next time!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    No disrespect but advising people to use a different weight of oil in there car isnt sound advice, iirc as my 2 are 2.0 tdi bkd's its 5w30 & its slx 2 or 3 from audi you need or retail name is castrol edge at halfords, double check the weight is correct though incase its changed for some obscure reason, dont mix your oil weights more than the book says or you may end up with dyer consequences.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Top Gear!

Status
    Sorry thats my mistake then, thanks for correcting it, didn't mean to wrongly advise anyone, I think I may need to have mine checked come monday if it's the 5w30 I need

Thanks NHN

2nd Gear

Status
    Half a litre or litre of 10/40 wont make any difference, its only a little bit 'thicker' it will be fine.

The only thing you shouldn't be doing is mixing synthetic oils with minerals or semi synthetics.