Badger5Sky Insurance
    5th Gear

Status

Few ideas for mods, seeking advice...

Well it looks like my kids will be getting Xmas pressies after all, lol! I have had to abandon my plans to facelift the front end of my SB to the MY10 look.

Instead I am going for the following to keep me amused until the car is sold early next year. Not going to spend a bomb on it though... Will hopefully be able to re-coup a good percentage of spent before selling car seeing as bits will only be 6 months old.

I've decided on the following and was wanting some advice and opinions on the choices.

1. Remap - I have a 2.0TDi and want something smooth and progressive, not looking to buy a new turbo before having to sell my car! I have been told that the ST3 from ChippedUK/Vizeu is teh way to go but just wanted some opinions on that.

2. 19" RS6 reps, now I know alot of yas are dead set against reps but work with me here they're cheap and I only need em on for circa 6 months.... view them as winters if it warms ya cold hearts towards em! Lmao.... If ya have any other rims opinions let them be know pls.

3. Rear S line/ S3 tailgate spoiler. Is there any difference between these? I know the lugs must be cut to fit them on non- s line/ s3 tailgate. Definitely OEM for this mod as I have heard to much about bad fitting shoddy plastic spoilers from ebay.

4. RS6 grill mod ala mattandrew, I converted my S line grill with some mesh a long time back, but never really liked the finish. Hoping to achieve something akin to what matt has done on his S3 he's taken the idea to another level. Any tips to getting this done appreciated. (see his below).

5. Eibach pro lowering springs and 12mm rear H&R spacers 10mm front. I'm really not sure that this is the correct set up for an 19" wheel. I have seen the eibach sportline on an SB with 18" wheels that looked like the drop I want think I may get rubbing issues with the 19's though, any thoughts?

Was gonna get some xenons but they don't come up much and the adaptive conversion would st me back more than the bits listed above, for now I have gone with another set of PIAA mirror chrome lol

Well any advice or alternatives to my choice, n general input would be appreciated guys!

Rich
    Last edited by ~RS~; 27th October 2010 at 13:05.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status

Gievf Buckets

Status
    revo on the map, no doubt buddy, and once you go xenon you dont go back

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

Reverse Gear

Status
    wow that grille is mindbogglingly awesome imo.

i found some more info on it here: S3 Honeycomb grill - RS3 look from RS6 grill | m.VAGOC.co.uk
    2011 A3 Quattro - Meteor grey, Sport package, Bi-xenons, Open sky sunroof, Bluetooth, Cold weather package

1st Gear

Status
    Personally, I wouldn't bother modding and spending all that money on a car I'm only keeping for a few more months. Standard cars will normally be easier to sell (as they appeal to a wider audience) and you are unlikely to get your money back on the mods.

If it were me, I would save my money and mod the next car you get in a few months. Do you knwo what you're getting next? If it's another A3, you could always swap wheels etc to the new car??

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    The chipped Uk ST3 map is good and you have 3 maps on it, standard, economy and fast road. We have it on our A6 2.5tdi and had no issues except on the fast road we got some clutch judder so now its on economy and no issues at all and it doesnt seem much too much different power wise to the fast road but better to drive and more economy!

Wont the other mods set you back a bit? What with buying parts, painting and fitting etc? I agree with above, dont do too much if the cars being sold within 6 months, save the pennies for the next car because for sure you will want to mod the next one.

Also think Matt said the grill wasn't straight forward and took some doing. I love his car and he has done an awsome job but again alot to do if the cars being sold. Remap as the better economy may be a draw for potential buyers but the rest may not really be necessary. Good luck with whatever you choose to do

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

5th Gear

Status
    Cheers Phil, I have heard Revo can be very aggressive on the 2.0TDi. I managed to snag a ST3 unit on ebay yesterday and ChippedUK will send me new map files when it arrives. So the map is pretty much taken care of. I hear ya on the xenons man! Lol, that cash will do quite a few mods though, although I suppose the xenons would bring a lil more on the asking price of the car maybe... decisions decisions For real though I think I'll leave those and spec em on my next car. Was thinking an S3 sportback sprint or phantom with buckets and some other trinkets, but with the MY12 around the corner I'm not too sure now...

@smartdude, your not wrong mate, it's pretty sweet indeed. I had a bash @ making one myself by cutting out the existing oem grill and replacing with mesh, came out ok but nothing like that summabiatch! Matt is pretty handy. I do however remember someone with a red A3 that had an RS4 grill in it. That also looked pretty nice but the RS6 grill has a smaller number plate holder and more mesh for an angrier look!

Thanks for the sobbering post One Spoke, I hear what your saying and it makes plenty of sense. I was thinking that on the wheels I'd probably loose Ł100 as my current ones need repairing due to kerbing, that would probably cost circa Ł200+ and a new set are Ł450, probably get Ł100-Ł150 for the old ones. The grill one the other hand your correct on, I'd loose a little on that but doesn't it look so damn good :D lol. I think that the ST3 box can be moved over to another vehicle with maps being the only added expenses.

Hi Sarah, thanks for the input on the ST3 and maps, seems most have been satisfied by it. As the unit I picked up was 2nd hand it has no useable maps on. I'm buying the maps from ChippedUK when the unit arrives. I was going to just get the fast road map for Ł100 as the race one sounds real aggressive on the clutch with the amount of torque that will be put through the box. The economy sounds good, from what you have said and I will pick that up as well. 2 maps are Ł150 which was a pretty good price, I thought.

As my car has the S-line front and rear bumpers it bugs me that the tailgate spoiler, isn't also fitted. I been quoted Ł200 for part, sprayed & fitting by a mates garage. Kinda pricey though for what it is. I already have a facelift rear diffuser on the bumper which I am sure I'll get Ł50 on ebay for, and the S3 one is Ł70 from audi so that's only a Ł20 loss. Gotta check that the exhaust gap is in the right place first.

Might have to give the grill a miss, but I'll probably still go with the wheels, I have the remap on route, and spoilers.

I think that way I only loose a couple hundred on parts (mainly spoilers) but gain another 6 months of fun, had the car 18 months and am getting a lil bored as I rarely keep cars this long.

Anyway, I'll probably need the tailgate spoiler to stop me from taking off once I get that map on it
    Last edited by ~RS~; 28th October 2010 at 14:08.

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Yup thats a good price for the 2 maps, Jasons a good guy. Well enjoy the mods and it all helps to make the car more desireable when selling.

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

5th Gear

Status
    Got the new maps today for my ST3 unit. Uploaded Economy map and gave the car a lil run around the A406/ A40. Must say it's a vast improvement over the stock map. No lag around in the low rev range and car actually felt different as soon I started it, pedal more responsive, might just be me, but it seemed to feel better around corners etc as well, although it was nice n' dry

Was very very tempted to give the power (aka fast road) a rinse but have been advised to have further detailed checks on parts that will be under strain (turbo, box etc) prior to using it. Happy with the ECO map @ the moment though

Had Audi service my brand new engine (see related post somewhere in the forum ) last Friday, Ł130 for a flippin oil change! I wanted to see if there was any other issues though so I paid up in hope the greedy barsteward's would highlight anything in the hope of further Ł€$Ł and they did Seems there are a few- defective #4 glowplug, sticky starter motor - causing a slight screech upon start up, and making warm starts embarrassing (as car turns over a few times before starting up like its not gonna start at all), and the possibility of needing the rack changed as it making a lil knocking. Although this knocking was drastically reduced when I had a laser alignment done today (latest hunter system). All 4 wheels for Ł55 inc vat, few adjustments here and there... add that to the increased power output and it's looking like good decisions thus far as I haven't had that much fun driving the car since I bought it.

Pity about the bloomin rack needing changing though! That'll put a dent in my minor mod budget I'm sure and I had my eye on a set of 19" Speedline split rims too! What a bummer
    Last edited by ~RS~; 1st November 2010 at 18:58.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ~RS~ View Post
    gave the car a lil run around the A406/ A40.
    Did you manage to get above 15mph!? Thats the last place i'd choose for a blast!

5th Gear

Status
    Lmao!! I know I know... but had to stay close for work as had a meeting with clients. Was the nearest I could go for a 'lil' run

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Hey glad you're happy, enjoy...