rear bulbs blowing

FranA3

FMDETAILING
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
hi all just a quicky my car for a little while has been blowing rear bulbs every few weeks i know that bulbs go but they seam to be going a bit too often anybody had a similar problem to this the good thing is i dont have to pay for bulbs as i can get them in work but its still annoying to have to change bulbs all the time any ideas

have you put a multimeter on it to check for surges its the only thing i can think of thats burning em out

well i put a meter on the battery when it is running to see if its over charging the reading is 14.01 volts thats normal isnt it , its mainly the side light bulbs and the brake lights that keep blowing i know that they get used alot more than the rest lol

it should be 12 volts buddy, unless they drop teh cueent for a larger voltagewould need to check mine

nah im sure on every car it should be between 13-14 volts otherwise it wouldnt charge the battery because of the things running off the batt like the radio ,lights etc..

Fnmrst, it looks like your 12v system is in the normal range. However, all car bulbs are not the same quality. Car bulbs are subjected to lots of vibration, and need to be manufactured properly to make them robust enough for operation in a vehicle. I have seen very poor quality bulbs being sold recently. Don't know where they were made, but just looking at the filament supports inside showed a shockingly poor assembly. Suggest you buy a couple of bulbs from a well-known quality maker and try them out. Probably cost a little more. I did this on my other car, and haven't had a bulb blow in six years.

Fnmrst, it looks like your 12v system is in the normal range. However, all car bulbs are not the same quality. Car bulbs are subjected to lots of vibration, and need to be manufactured properly to make them robust enough for operation in a vehicle. I have seen very poor quality bulbs being sold recently. Don't know where they were made, but just looking at the filament supports inside showed a shockingly poor assembly. Suggest you buy a couple of bulbs from a well-known quality maker and try them out. Probably cost a little more. I did this on my other car, and haven't had a bulb blow in six years.
does this mean i will have to buy some bulbs instead of getting them free lol , yeah i will try that as replacing bulbs all the time is really annoying what do you suggest piaa , phillips or similar cheers for the reply

Yup...Philips or Piaa bulbs should be fine. Perhaps those 'free lamps' were not so free after all, lol. Anyway, suggest you try a couple of the better bulbs, and see if they last a long time. If they blow right away, then it would indicate a serious problem with the car electrics. I forgot to mention that on my Sportback, to my best knowledge it has only has had one bulb replaced in nearly five years. It was the driver's footwell bulb. Good luck.

Just to add my brothers rear brake lights blew. Its a 2009 a3