JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Blocking of EGR

  1. #1
    S1MON A3's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    48

    Blocking of EGR

    Just been speaking to a friend about making a plate up to block of the egr pipe coming from the exhaust, would this cause any problems? The butterfly flap and the rest of the egr will still be working as normal just wish no exhaust fumes going through it.
    I cant see the point in spending 60 when Im pretty sure this will do the same job.

    Doing it this way might eliminate the engine light coming on as your not messing the vacume and flap its self.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bradford, WY
    Posts
    788
    Yes you can block the pipe to the manifold with a blankng plate, but this will still bring a warning light on. You will need to get the egr function mapped out. If your interested pm and il point u in the direction were i got mine from


    A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

  4. #3
    TFSI's Avatar
    Born to Fish

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Cheshire
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by S1MON A3 View Post
    Just been speaking to a friend about making a plate up to block of the egr pipe coming from the exhaust, would this cause any problems? The butterfly flap and the rest of the egr will still be working as normal just wish no exhaust fumes going through it.
    I cant see the point in spending 60 when Im pretty sure this will do the same job.

    Doing it this way might eliminate the engine light coming on as your not messing the vacume and flap its self.

    ECU's will monitor for exhaust pressure/temp ! To much to little = light on. (to much to little !!!!!!! i could be a song writer)
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

  5. #4
    ryanstewart9's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Surrey/Hants/Berks
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by navnayyar View Post
    Yes you can block the pipe to the manifold with a blankng plate, but this will still bring a warning light on. You will need to get the egr function mapped out. If your interested pm and il point u in the direction were i got mine from
    Is it possible to map out the light with VAGCOM?
    "If you ain't first, you're last!" - Ricky Bobby

    2008 A3 S-line 2.0 TDI PD140 (Pre-facelift)

  6. #5
    S1MON A3's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    48
    lol.

    I'll get this blanked off when I get a chance and see what happens, might have a word with the R-tech guys and see if they can get the light mapped out.

  7. #6
    S1MON A3's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    48
    Update date on this guys

    I made a plate and blocked the exhaust gases going into the EGR and then I blocked the vacume pipe to stop the butterfly flap opening and closing. It litterly took 20 mins anyone can do it.
    The technician at R-tech then disabled the EGR function and got rid of the engine light for me.
    If anyone is thinking of doing it this way it saves you around 50 no need to buy EGR delete kit.
    18" RS4 Wheels, EBC Grooved Disc, 45mm Lowering springs, R-Tech stage 1 Remap, EGR removed with map out, 187bhp 320ft lbs torque, Black grill , Westfalia detachable tow bar.

  8. #7
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bradford, WY
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by S1MON A3 View Post
    Update date on this guys

    I made a plate and blocked the exhaust gases going into the EGR and then I blocked the vacume pipe to stop the butterfly flap opening and closing. It litterly took 20 mins anyone can do it.
    The technician at R-tech then disabled the EGR function and got rid of the engine light for me.
    If anyone is thinking of doing it this way it saves you around 50 no need to buy EGR delete kit.
    But you still have an obstructive air flow with the egr still on


    A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

  9. #8
    S1MON A3's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    48
    yeh far one lol gona get the inlet manifold off and get all that crappy carbon out then gonna get a milltek down pipe :D and see if I get any more power gains should see a few bhp.
    Still on the standard clutch :P too lol
    18" RS4 Wheels, EBC Grooved Disc, 45mm Lowering springs, R-Tech stage 1 Remap, EGR removed with map out, 187bhp 320ft lbs torque, Black grill , Westfalia detachable tow bar.

  10. #9
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bradford, WY
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by S1MON A3 View Post
    yeh far one lol gona get the inlet manifold off and get all that crappy carbon out then gonna get a milltek down pipe :D and see if I get any more power gains should see a few bhp.
    Still on the standard clutch :P too lol
    Not really unless your running a bigger turbo. Gains will be small with standard turbo, maybe a sound improvement?


    A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

  11. #10
    Dean's A3's Avatar
    TDI S3 Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    261
    I must say I'm a novice with engine mods, would someone plse explain what's the purpose of blocking the EGR in relation to why the manufacturer installed it in the first place?

  12. #11
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bradford, WY
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean's A3 View Post
    I must say I'm a novice with engine mods, would someone plse explain what's the purpose of blocking the EGR in relation to why the manufacturer installed it in the first place?
    It reduces NO in exhaust smoke by recirculating some exhaust smoke back in the engine, especially when engine is warming up.


    A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO